Happy birthday, Chip!

  • zvi_delany_list
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
      Happy birthday to Samuel R. Delany, who is 61 today.

      And best wishes to all members of this list.

      --Zvi
      Moderator, Delany-list
    • Diamond Lightfoot
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- zvi_delany_list <zvi@...> wrote:
        > Happy birthday to Samuel R. Delany, who is 61 today.
        >
        > And best wishes to all members of this list.
        >
        > --Zvi
        > Moderator, Delany-list

        I second that!

        =0)
        Diamond

        =====
        Diamond Lightfoot icq #10962503
        Want a free full length e-serial every year? Send an email to subscribe@... or
        Visit Douglas Clegg Online: http://www.douglasclegg.com
        http://www.angelfire.com/tx/DiamondLightfoot
        Check out http://womenonwriting.com !

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • Peter Fogarty
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
          Echoed! I'm reading 1984 for the second time. :) Any news on any new
          forthcoming publications, not reprints?
          Best,
          Peter

          At 02:52 PM 4/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:

          >--- zvi_delany_list <zvi@...> wrote:
          > > Happy birthday to Samuel R. Delany, who is 61 today.
          > >
          > > And best wishes to all members of this list.
          > >
          > > --Zvi
          > > Moderator, Delany-list
          > >

          >I second that!
          >

          >=0)
          >Diamond
          >

          >=====
          >Diamond Lightfoot icq #10962503
          >Want a free full length e-serial every year? Send an email to
          >subscribe@... or
          >Visit Douglas Clegg Online: http://www.douglasclegg.com
          >http://www.angelfire.com/tx/DiamondLightfoot
          >Check out http://womenonwriting.com !

        • Amy Harlib
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
            aharlib@...
            Ditto! I second these emotions!
            Cheers!
            Amy

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
              Happy 68th birthday to Samuel R. Delany. Won't you all read a page of his
              work today and raise a glass to him as you do?

              As well, some short excerpts from SRD's Locus interview are up at:

              http://www.locusmag.com/Perspectives/2010/03/samuel-r-delany-grammar-of-narrative.html

              --Zvi
              zvi@...

            • CJ
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
                Hi all,

                I am writing this if any of you know more about Delany's idea of "SF as a community" of writers, editors, collectors, and fans (not just as 'contents' define it). I have read some essays by critics on this; for instance, Scholar Nancy Ellen Batty writes in her essay on Nalo Hopkinson:

                "It is, as Delany argues, as much an interactive community of writers, readers, editors, illustrators, and collectors as it is a 'genre.'"

                This might be related to his idea of genre as a "reading protocol." I checked The Jewel-Hinged Jaw, Silent Interviews, and Longer Views, but I couldn't quite locate where he claim the idea of SF as a community.

                If you know any of Delany's writing regarding this idea, please let me know.

                Thank you in advance,

                Thank you,

                --- CJ
                p.s. Wishing Chip a happy BD!

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
                  Happy birthday to Samuel R. Delany, 71 years young today.

                  And a nice little essay in his honour from Jo Walton at Tor.com:

                  http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/04/on-this-day-samuel-r-delany

                  Happy spring and Easter to all.