SV: [delany-list] The List is sleeping...

  • Lyshol, Heidi
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2003
      > p. 393
      > I find here "and her hand on his penis became maddening as feathers". Is
      > "maddening as feathers" a colloquial expression?

      Not colloquial, no, but probably a good description of a very light, teasing touch.

      A vegetable. They are green pods, and turn disturbingly slimy when boiled. In Southern/Cajun cuisine, this is used to make stews, gumbos etc. Doesn't taste much of anything. There's a picture at http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/okra1.html.

      > p. 451
      > Kamp speaking. At the end of his speech: "Everyone laughed. Kid thought: Is
      > he for real?"
      > Now, is Kid meaning: "Is Kamp speaking seriously?" Or what?

      Yes.

      > p. 477
      > Kid is looking at a cactus in Harrison's house. He notices that from the
      > plant "hung what looked like a pink tissue. Two steps nearer, and Kid saw
      > it was the rag of a flower".
      > The "rag" of a flower is the petal of a flower, maybe ragged?

      OR simply a shapeless flower - perhaps damaged, perhaps that way from nature.

      Heidi
      in Oslo

      Maurizio, I was in Milano a couple of weeks ago - my first visit to Italy. I thought of you when passing libraries...