The List is sleeping...

  • Maurizio Nati
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
      ... so it's time to wake it.
      Here's some questions.

      p. 328
      Just before taking the bus, Kid is thinking about himself.
      "He wished he had his notebook: but before the feeling, as he listened, no
      word rose to begin the complex fixing".
      I'd like to know how you interpret the term "fixing".

      p. 334
      Kid is on the verge of entering the Emboriky's. He's thinking of Lanya and
      wonders what he really wants.
      "I want to be among the people. (Where would she have gone?) It is
      difficult, because it grosses so little, to consider that I dont' want to be
      with her".
      The doubt is about "grosses". What does it exactly mean?

      p. 393
      I find here "and her hand on his penis became maddening as feathers". Is
      "maddening as feathers" a colloquial expression?

      p. 445
      Kid is offered a plate with "corn, peas okra". What is okra?

      p. 451
      Kamp speaking. At the end of his speech: "Everyone laughed. Kid thought: Is
      he for real?"
      Now, is Kid meaning: "Is Kamp speaking seriously?" Or what?

      p. 477
      Kid is looking at a cactus in Harrison's house. He notices that from the
      plant "hung what looked like a pink tissue. Two steps nearer, and Kid saw
      it was the rag of a flower".
      The "rag" of a flower is the petal of a flower, maybe ragged?

      Stay well.

      Maurizio Nati
    • Maurizio Nati
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
          I see Heidi has already responded but I think I will respond first so
          I can see whether we go in totally different directions on any of these...

          >p. 328
          >Just before taking the bus, Kid is thinking about himself.
          >"He wished he had his notebook: but before the feeling, as he listened, no
          >word rose to begin the complex fixing".
          >I'd like to know how you interpret the term "fixing".

          According to my favorite online English dictionary (www.m-w.com),
          the first and so, presumably, primary sense of "to fix" is not to
          repair, but:

          1 a : to make firm, stable, or stationary
          b : to give a permanent or final form to: as
          (1) : to change into a stable compound or available form
          <bacteria that fix nitrogen>
          (2) : to kill, harden, and preserve for microscopic study
          (3) : to make the image of (a photographic film) permanent by
          removing unused salts

          Delany is using "fix" in a way analogous with this -- Kidd "fixes"
          the memory of a sight or event by putting it into a "fixed" verbal
          form, i.e., a poem. For further on this, see "The Tale of Old Venn"
          in _Tales of Neveryon_, where the titular character describes the
          way in which making a story of an event transforms the event.

          >p. 334 Kid is on the verge of entering the Emboriky's. He's thinking of
          >Lanya and
          >wonders what he really wants.
          >"I want to be among the people. (Where would she have gone?) It is
          >difficult, because it grosses so little, to consider that I dont' want to
          >be
          >with her".
          >The doubt is about "grosses". What does it exactly mean?

          Well, as a verb "to gross" means to earn or bring in, e.g., revenues.
          I'm honestly not sure how that is relevant here.

          (There is also a slang verb meaning, "to disgust" as in "gross me
          out!", but I reasonably certain Delany doesn _not_ intend this
          meaning here.)

          >p. 393
          >I find here "and her hand on his penis became maddening as feathers". Is
          >"maddening as feathers" a colloquial expression?

          Not that I've ever heard of; I think it's just a simile -- with
          the implication "maddening as feathers [on his penis would be]",
          i.e., a light touch that stimulates but doesn't complete the
          stimulation.

          >p. 445
          >Kid is offered a plate with "corn, peas okra". What is okra?

          A vegetable commonly used in Southern American cooking, especially
          Cajun cooking. You can see a picture of okra at
          http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/okra1.html

          >p. 451
          >Kamp speaking. At the end of his speech: "Everyone laughed. Kid thought: Is
          >he for real?"
          >Now, is Kid meaning: "Is Kamp speaking seriously?" Or what?

          Well, a bit more than that -- he's wondering if Kamp is doing a
          whole put-on act, if he's really the way he's appearing to be or
          if he's putting on a big front.

          >p. 477
          >Kid is looking at a cactus in Harrison's house. He notices that from the
          >plant "hung what looked like a pink tissue. Two steps nearer, and Kid saw
          >it was the rag of a flower".
          >The "rag" of a flower is the petal of a flower, maybe ragged?

          The whole flower has become ragged, worn, etc.

          --Dan'l

        • Joseph Zitt
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
            > Just before taking the bus, Kid is thinking about himself.
            > "He wished he had his notebook: but before the feeling, as he listened, no
            > word rose to begin the complex fixing".
            > I'd like to know how you interpret the term "fixing".

            I read it as the connection of the feeling to a an appropriate word. It's as
            in "fixing a picture to a wall", possibly derived from "affix".
          • Manuel Cabrera
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
              Ron Henry wrote:

              > Around 14:46:52 +0100, 4 Mar 2003, "Maurizio Nati" <bibnaz@...>
              > wrote,
              >
              > >... so it's time to wake it.
              > >Here's some questions.
              > >
              > >p. 328
              > >Just before taking the bus, Kid is thinking about himself.
              > >"He wished he had his notebook: but before the feeling, as he
              > listened, no
              > >word rose to begin the complex fixing".
              > >I'd like to know how you interpret the term "fixing".

              Couldn't the word "fix" also here be used with undertones of a drug fix:
              .e. a preventing/deferring by inducing drug intoxication?

            • Ron Henry
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2003
                Around 14:46:52 +0100, 4 Mar 2003, "Maurizio Nati" <bibnaz@...> wrote,

                >... so it's time to wake it.
                >Here's some questions.
                >
                >p. 328
                >Just before taking the bus, Kid is thinking about himself.
                >"He wished he had his notebook: but before the feeling, as he listened, no
                >word rose to begin the complex fixing".
                >I'd like to know how you interpret the term "fixing".

                In this context "to fix" means (denotatively) something related to "affix"
                -- the writing would "fix" words in thought and on paper. Make them
                permanent. But the overtone in the English is nice because you have the
                echo of the meaning of "fix" which means to repair, which gives a sense
                that he is attempting to repair his life, or at least his disordered
                perception, with writing.

                >p. 334
                >Kid is on the verge of entering the Emboriky's. He's thinking of Lanya and
                >wonders what he really wants.
                >"I want to be among the people. (Where would she have gone?) It is
                >difficult, because it grosses so little, to consider that I dont' want to be
                >with her".
                >The doubt is about "grosses". What does it exactly mean?

                Something similar to "accumulates" or "earns" ("adds up to"). A "gross" in
                English is a count of 144 of something, and to "gross" means to accumulate
                somewhat large quantities of something generally (though not literally a
                count of 144 of course). Similarly in American English you can refer to the
                total amount you earn at your job (before taxes) as being "what you gross".

                >p. 393
                >I find here "and her hand on his penis became maddening as feathers". Is
                >"maddening as feathers" a colloquial expression?

                Not a common colloquial expression or idiom. Just means that it
                tickles/teases in an intensely sexually stimulating way.

                >p. 445
                >Kid is offered a plate with "corn, peas okra". What is okra?

                A vegetable, once only found in Southern cooking (in "soul food", or in
                "cajun/creole" cooking) in the US (I think it might also be found in
                African cooking), but now in the age of frozen food okra is more
                widespread. It's kind of a long green pod with ridges running lengthwise,
                and looks a bit like small Chinese lotus when sliced crosswise into short
                segments.

                A lot of people find the taste unpleasant -- gummy and slimy, especially
                when it's not prepared very well (that is, simply boiled after having been
                frozen or, ugh, canned; it's best when freshly sauteed or fried). It's also
                used widely to thicken stews and gumbo dishes -- because what seems slimy
                in some instances also makes sauces and stews thick and rich in other
                instances.

                >p. 451
                >Kamp speaking. At the end of his speech: "Everyone laughed. Kid thought: Is
                >he for real?"
                >Now, is Kid meaning: "Is Kamp speaking seriously?" Or what?

                Sort of, but more along the lines of "Is he full of shit?" (deluding or
                self-deluded) or "Is he putting on an act?"

                >p. 477
                >Kid is looking at a cactus in Harrison's house. He notices that from the
                >plant "hung what looked like a pink tissue. Two steps nearer, and Kid saw
                >it was the rag of a flower".
                >The "rag" of a flower is the petal of a flower, maybe ragged?

                Not necessarily ragged (though there is a suggestion of that by
                association). Just that a tattered flower looks like a scrap of colored
                cloth rag hung on the cactus. There is also the sense here ("two steps
                nearer") of the surprise one gets the first time one sees a
                beautifully-colored flower blooming on a thorny, forbidding-looking cactus
                plant. (You know what cacti are, right?) Another aspect probably to
                consider is that many cacti are suggestively very phallic in shape, while
                covered with dangerous-looking thorns -- you can really get injured by the
                spines and thorns on a cactus -- yet here is one with a spot of beauty, a
                badge of beauty, affixed to it. Associate this with Harrison, the Black
                ghetto mythic hero accused rapist.

                Thanks for rousing us--
                Ron
              • p1d1s1
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2003
                  --- In delany-list@yahoogroups.com, Manuel Cabrera <semiote@e...> wrote:

                  > Ron Henry wrote:
                  >
                  > > Around 14:46:52 +0100, 4 Mar 2003, "Maurizio Nati" <bibnaz@u...>
                  > > wrote,
                  > >
                  > > >... so it's time to wake it.
                  > > >Here's some questions.
                  > > >
                  > > >p. 328
                  > > >Just before taking the bus, Kid is thinking about himself.
                  > > >"He wished he had his notebook: but before the feeling, as he
                  > > listened, no
                  > > >word rose to begin the complex fixing".
                  > > >I'd like to know how you interpret the term "fixing".
                  >
                  > Couldn't the word "fix" also here be used with undertones of a drug fix:
                  > .e. a preventing/deferring by inducing drug intoxication?

                  Just a thought,

                  I've always believed that this phrase was indicative of the author waiting for his muse--waiting for the word to arise that would lead to his writing down the current "fix" on the situation, which would be complex due to the perceptual shifts inherent in either Kidd, Bellona or both.