A Digital Bellona

  • ezmailslot <ezmailslot@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
      Yo-

      Yes, I believe that a form of animation would be an excellent way
      to depict the 'ruined city' of Bellona... but instead of a Waking Life
      style, a more interesting way to accomplish the task would be to
      use digital photographs and film of parts of cities, then
      re-composite them into a hybrid city; but with all the textural grit
      and complexity that can be acheived photographically.
      Reference "The Matrix", where the cityscapes were created then
      manipulated through photos/film/computer. Digital photos can
      be mapped onto a 3D computer city; then the buildings can burn,
      construct, deconstruct, shift, change, etc., but with the 'reality' that
      photo/film conveys. Does that sound appealing/

      > Not to completely resurrect the whole Dhalgren film discussion
      here, but I
      > have lately wondered if animation wouldn't be the best
      possible medium for a
      > film to even begin to do justice to Dhalgren. I think Linklater
      definitely
      > opened up the possibilities for doing more "serious" work with
      animation.
      > The flexibility that it provides would certainly make it easier to
      depict
      > some of the more abstract imagery of the novel. And bear in
      mind Delany has
      > already collaborated on a graphic novel himself (Bread and
      Wine), so
      > animation seems a natural fit.
      >
      > Did anyone else see Waking Life, and if so did it make you
      think of Dhalgren
      > at all?
      >
      > Lavelle

    • Steve Maxey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
        > Did anyone else see Waking Life, and if so did it make you
        think of Dhalgren
        > at all?

        Yes, I saw Waking Life. No, it didn't make me think of Dhalgren at all.

        Waking Life I found boring and pretentious, with thin and obvious
        ideas (the sort that clever college sophomores toss around in
        late-night bull sessions) being presented as if they were serious and
        developed, and with thin abstract caricatures spouting notions in
        place of characters. It was one of the most pointless nights I ever
        spent in the theatre, and I certainly hope Dhalgren doesn't get
        abstracted and dumbed down this way (i.e., reduced to the big
        abstract speeches--Kidd on sanity, Newboy on poetry, George on rape,
        Mrs Richards on the need for maintaining your family, Bunny on sex,
        Lanya on music--and losing the rich patterns of particular incident
        and complex characterization that becom the warp and weft of Bellona).