Re: A couple of doubts

  • Ron Henry
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2002
      Around 11:36 AM 8/10/2002, delany-list@yahoogroups.com wrote,

      >p. 352
      >In his long speech about art & artist, Newboy says <that includes the
      >Cavaliers and the Metaphysical>. Are the Cavaliers the supporters of king
      >Charles I, the royalists?

      These are two schools of 17th century English poetry, so I suppose they
      were associated with Charles I, politically. The poetry tends to be light,
      amorous, courtly. Think Ben Jonson, Robert Herrick, Henry Vaughn. (As
      movements go, the Cavaliers, other than Jonson, tend to be somewhat forgotten.)

      The Metaphysicals, are generally considered a more important group of
      poets, and wrote not only love poems but also more put more religious and
      philosophical concerns into the verse as well. It's been a long time since
      I was in college but I seem to recall this was controversial at the time.
      The most famous examples of this group are probably John Donne and George
      Herbert.

      >And some lines ahead <as they propitiously juxtapose conscious will with
      >inconscious passion>. What is the sense of the adverb "propitiously", in
      >this case?

      Something like "as they assist in juxtaposing conscious will with
      inconscious passion", I'd say. ("Helpfully" or "favorably", something like
      that.)

      Ron Henry