Re: [delany-list] Samuel Delany/James Joyce Connections

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
      drobillard@... wrote:

      > Anyway, I am interested in SRD's connections to James Joyce. Just as
      > a starting point, SRD places a quotation from JJ's Finnegans Wake at
      > the start of The Einstein Intersection. I am wondering if anyone
      > else on this list has spotted Joycean references or influences in
      > SRD's work. Please post messages at the delny-list or email me
      > directly. Many thanks!

      I'm surprised nobody's mentioned one of the most obvious examples
      -- the protagonist of "Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious
      Stones" goes through many name changes, but they all have the
      initials HCE, as does the shifting protagonist of FINNEGANS WAKE.

      Also, TEI (or shall we use SRD's title, A FABULOUS, FORMLESS
      DARKNESS) is Joycean beyond its epigraph; the world of TEI/AFFD
      itself seems to shift in much the manner of the FW world. And if
      you can get a British copy, or a copy of THE COMPLETE NEBULA
      AWARD WINNING FICTION (I think that's the title), AFFD has one
      very short chapter that was cut from the Ace pb, which is
      significantly Joycean in its use of language.
      HTH,

      | | |
      |--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | I've been standing in a cloud of |
      | Staff Curriculum Developer | plans, |
      | Oracle CRM Education | Standing in the shifting sands, |
      | email: ddanehyo@... | Hoping for an open hand, |
      | phone: 650.506.0793 | One time. |
      | home.pacbell.net/katbarx | "One Time" |
      | | --KC 1994 |
      The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of
      Oracle Corporation.
    • Douglas Robillard
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
        Dear Daniel,

        Thank you for your message. You know, I reread "Time Considered. . ." a
        year ago and did not catch the HCE reference. I'll have look into it.

        No, I have not seen A FABULOUS, FORMLESS DARKNESS and did not know about the
        inclusion of a short Joycean chapter! Appreciate the tip. Incidentally,
        I'm drafting a little article on his use of the FW epigraph. Did you know
        that Delany misquotes Joyce? The last two words of Delany's epigraph are
        "funanimal world"; however, JJ actually wrote "funnaminal world" (p. 244), a
        pun on "phenomenal," though certainly animals are in there too, by
        implication. Aminal Crackers, anyone?

        Took me a second, but I caught the King Crimson quote at the end of your
        email! As an enthusiastic audient of 28+ years, I appreciate the lyric.
        According to Fripp's diary, a new album entitled THE CONSTRUKcTION OF LIGHT
        is due out in May. That'll be a treat.

        Anyway, many thanks for the bibliographical info.

        Best,
        Doug

        -
      • David Cozy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
          Doug requests, regarding the relationship between Joyce's work and Delany's:

          Please post messages at the delny-list or email me
          >directly. Many thanks!

          Please post replies to the list. I think a lot of us would find them
          interesting. Well, I would anyway.

          Thanks,

          David Cozy
          mailto:cozy@...-net.ne.jp
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2000
            Douglas Robillard wrote:
            > Dear Daniel,

            "Dan'l." Really.

            > ... I'm drafting a little article on his use of the FW epigraph.
            > Did you know that Delany misquotes Joyce? The last two words
            > of Delany's epigraph are "funanimal world"; however, JJ actually
            > wrote "funnaminal world" (p. 244), a pun on "phenomenal," though
            > certainly animals are in there too, by implication.

            Just reread that chapter of FW last night, as it happens, and
            noticed the same thing.

            But (ondt this are a bygbutt) I misthink it's a proper misquote;
            inmember Muels Aranlyde isseverly dyslexic (It mewonders howsuch
            an dysunbilitude reoranges ones experientating of FINNEGANS WAKE)
            and under such circorstunces was probably a simple typorthogrical
            mishappiness, additionally to ofwhich remember the publishican
            was Ace under the haruspices of Donald Wollheim, who was somewhen
            hostile abbut the book and two Ace porfridding was exstentially
            nonextestant at the time unsiddharation undso to assignify any
            fromanomination is unliklihud to the point of exagsperation.

            > Took me a second, but I caught the King Crimson quote at the end
            > of your email! As an enthusiastic audient of 28+ years, I appreciate
            > the lyric. According to Fripp's diary, a new album entitled THE
            > CONSTRUKcTION OF LIGHT is due out in May. That'll be a treat.

            ... and in the meanwhile you can get a preview at Adrian Belew's
            website, http://www.murple.com/adrianbelew/ , where "I Have a Dream,"
            the song that got cut -- sort of! -- from the album is available for
            download as an MP3. It's a sweet sad sort of song with just Belew
            singing to his acoustic guitar while Fripp provides stringishness
            via soundscape in the background. The lyrics are depressing as
            hecky-darn, but (since you've been following the Fripp diary you
            doubtless know of the issues involved) not quite so bad as we'd
            been led to believe.

            | | |