RE: Samuel Delany/James Joyce Connections

  • Ron Henry
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
      > Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:52:25 -0600
      > From: Douglas Robillard <drobillard@...>
      > Subject: RE: Samuel Delany/James Joyce Connections
      >
      >Actually, the autobiographical
      >material is useful to me. It's been years since I read The Motion of Light
      >in Water and I don't have access to a copy these days, so I can't check the
      >reference myself.
      >
      >After reading your note it occurred to me that the autobiographical
      >reference you mentioned might be his earlier memoir, Heavenly Breakfast;
      >again, it's been close to 20 years since I read that book. But this gives
      >me a start.

      Just a quick reminder that an expanded edition of _The Motion of Light on Water_ came out in, I think, 1993 that has a bit more material in it than the original, in case you're thinking of re-reading it for your study.

      Ron Henry
      --
      Ron Henry / ronhenry@...
      Aught, a journal of poetry
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
        drobillard@... wrote:

        > Anyway, I am interested in SRD's connections to James Joyce. Just as
        > a starting point, SRD places a quotation from JJ's Finnegans Wake at
        > the start of The Einstein Intersection. I am wondering if anyone
        > else on this list has spotted Joycean references or influences in
        > SRD's work. Please post messages at the delny-list or email me
        > directly. Many thanks!

        I'm surprised nobody's mentioned one of the most obvious examples
        -- the protagonist of "Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious
        Stones" goes through many name changes, but they all have the
        initials HCE, as does the shifting protagonist of FINNEGANS WAKE.

        Also, TEI (or shall we use SRD's title, A FABULOUS, FORMLESS
        DARKNESS) is Joycean beyond its epigraph; the world of TEI/AFFD
        itself seems to shift in much the manner of the FW world. And if
        you can get a British copy, or a copy of THE COMPLETE NEBULA
        AWARD WINNING FICTION (I think that's the title), AFFD has one
        very short chapter that was cut from the Ace pb, which is
        significantly Joycean in its use of language.
        HTH,

        | | |
        |--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | I've been standing in a cloud of |
        | Staff Curriculum Developer | plans, |
        | Oracle CRM Education | Standing in the shifting sands, |
        | email: ddanehyo@... | Hoping for an open hand, |
        | phone: 650.506.0793 | One time. |
        | home.pacbell.net/katbarx | "One Time" |
        | | --KC 1994 |
        The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of
        Oracle Corporation.
      • Douglas Robillard
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
          Dear Daniel,

          Thank you for your message. You know, I reread "Time Considered. . ." a
          year ago and did not catch the HCE reference. I'll have look into it.

          No, I have not seen A FABULOUS, FORMLESS DARKNESS and did not know about the
          inclusion of a short Joycean chapter! Appreciate the tip. Incidentally,
          I'm drafting a little article on his use of the FW epigraph. Did you know
          that Delany misquotes Joyce? The last two words of Delany's epigraph are
          "funanimal world"; however, JJ actually wrote "funnaminal world" (p. 244), a
          pun on "phenomenal," though certainly animals are in there too, by
          implication. Aminal Crackers, anyone?

          Took me a second, but I caught the King Crimson quote at the end of your
          email! As an enthusiastic audient of 28+ years, I appreciate the lyric.
          According to Fripp's diary, a new album entitled THE CONSTRUKcTION OF LIGHT
          is due out in May. That'll be a treat.

          Anyway, many thanks for the bibliographical info.

          Best,
          Doug

          -
        • David Cozy
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 22, 2000
            Doug requests, regarding the relationship between Joyce's work and Delany's:

            Please post messages at the delny-list or email me
            >directly. Many thanks!

            Please post replies to the list. I think a lot of us would find them
            interesting. Well, I would anyway.

            Thanks,

            David Cozy
            mailto:cozy@...-net.ne.jp
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2000
              Douglas Robillard wrote:
              > Dear Daniel,

              "Dan'l." Really.

              > ... I'm drafting a little article on his use of the FW epigraph.
              > Did you know that Delany misquotes Joyce? The last two words
              > of Delany's epigraph are "funanimal world"; however, JJ actually
              > wrote "funnaminal world" (p. 244), a pun on "phenomenal," though
              > certainly animals are in there too, by implication.

              Just reread that chapter of FW last night, as it happens, and
              noticed the same thing.

              But (ondt this are a bygbutt) I misthink it's a proper misquote;
              inmember Muels Aranlyde isseverly dyslexic (It mewonders howsuch
              an dysunbilitude reoranges ones experientating of FINNEGANS WAKE)
              and under such circorstunces was probably a simple typorthogrical
              mishappiness, additionally to ofwhich remember the publishican
              was Ace under the haruspices of Donald Wollheim, who was somewhen
              hostile abbut the book and two Ace porfridding was exstentially
              nonextestant at the time unsiddharation undso to assignify any
              fromanomination is unliklihud to the point of exagsperation.

              > Took me a second, but I caught the King Crimson quote at the end
              > of your email! As an enthusiastic audient of 28+ years, I appreciate
              > the lyric. According to Fripp's diary, a new album entitled THE
              > CONSTRUKcTION OF LIGHT is due out in May. That'll be a treat.

              ... and in the meanwhile you can get a preview at Adrian Belew's
              website, http://www.murple.com/adrianbelew/ , where "I Have a Dream,"
              the song that got cut -- sort of! -- from the album is available for
              download as an MP3. It's a sweet sad sort of song with just Belew
              singing to his acoustic guitar while Fripp provides stringishness
              via soundscape in the background. The lyrics are depressing as
              hecky-darn, but (since you've been following the Fripp diary you
              doubtless know of the issues involved) not quite so bad as we'd
              been led to believe.

              | | |