Re: Delany FAQ?

  • Ron Henry
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
      zvi wrote:

      >I was musing in the shower this morning about whether a
      >Delany FAQ would be a good information resource for people
      >interested in Delany's work.

      I've pondered this for a couple years now. As far as I know, there's only
      one page out there that has any substantive info on SRD,
      http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/ , but it a) hasn't been updated for over a
      year now, and b) has a bit more fannish a tone than I would use if I were
      creating a "home page"/FAQ.

      FWIW, I have a bit of experience with this as I've maintained the FAQ for
      the rock band R.E.M., so I've wrestled with some of the common issues
      (schedule of info maintenace, how much info is too much, etc.; though, with
      the R.E.M. FAQ I have probably strayed on the "too much info" side).

      >The question about the sequel
      >to 'Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand' is one that I've
      >heard several times (well, more than three [1]), and is one
      >I'd include there.

      Certainly a FAQ.

      >Other possible topics include what books
      >would be the best introduction to Delany's critical work,
      >science fiction, and fantasy; a brief bio; and anything else
      >that anyone comes up with.

      Marriage to poet Marilyn Hacker and influence of her poems on his early
      prose and characters, is another I'd include. Also, his current position
      (as I understand it, he has left UMass Amherst for SUNY Buffalo, right?).

      >This would not be intended to supplant the larger information-
      >rich Web pages about Delany, but might serve to pull together
      >some questions and answers in one place.

      Right. It would be crucial to get the author, Jay Schuster, of the site
      "SRD Information" site to link to, or even host, the FAQ. I don't believe
      he is on this list, however. Lacking his participation, however, I would be
      happy to place it on my web site.

      >[1] 10 quatloos for the first person to name the novel and
      >character.

      In Dhalgren, Kemp, and then later Kidd by example, talks about needing a
      practiced answer to any question that he gets asked 3 or more times
      publicly. :)

      Ron Henry
      --
      Ron Henry / ronhenry@...
      Aught, a journal of poetry
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
        A Delany FAQ would be a lovely thing, but who's going to write it? Or
        rather, who're going to write it? Compile it?

        There are Delany bios, award lists, bibliographies and such out on the Web.
        Do we include the information in the FAQ, or merely point to those URLs that
        we hope are most permanent?

        Also, in reply to Dan'l's question:

        Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

        > Without wishing to dis any of the existing Webpages, there is no
        > page on Delany, that I have seen (ahhh, but I haven't done a real
        > search in several months), which I would unhesitatingly describe as
        > "information-rich."

        You might try:

        http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/

        (which is titled "Samuel R. Delany Information", by gosh)

        I rely on this for most of the info on the Open Directory Delany entry, which
        I try to keep short and sweetj and therefore not overwhelming:

        http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Authors/D/Delany,_Samuel_R./

        And if/when the FAQ goes public, I'd like to put a pointer to it up there as
        well.
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
          Hi Richard,

          From: Richard Moorman <rmoorman@...>
          > A Delany FAQ would be a lovely thing, but who's going to write it? Or
          > rather, who're going to write it? Compile it?

          Oh, I'd probably volunteer to [at least help] compile, write, and
          co-ordinate. I don't anticipate a FAQ being enormous, or too onerous.

          > There are Delany bios, award lists, bibliographies and such out on the Web.
          > Do we include the information in the FAQ, or merely point to those URLs that
          > we hope are most permanent?

          Well, I was thinking about addressing a bibliography thematically. For
          example:

          delany-faq question n:

          "What kinds of books has SRD written?"

          Science Fiction
          ---------------
          The Jewels of Aptor (1962)
          Babel-17 (1966) *Nebula
          [...]

          Criticism
          --------
          The Jewel-Hinged Jaw (1977)
          [...]

          Erotica
          ------
          Equinox
          [...]

          Fantasy
          -------
          Neveryon series
          [...]

          Comics
          ------
          Empire (with Howard Chaykin)

          Memoir
          ------
          Heavenly Breakfast
          The Motion of Light in Water

          For further information, see the Internet Science Fiction DataBase at:
          http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb/index.html"

          This would have the dual purpose of a bibliography and a sort of, mmm,
          thematic galaxy of possible entrances into SRD's work.

          > I rely on this for most of the info on the Open Directory Delany entry, which
          > I try to keep short and sweetj and therefore not overwhelming:
          >
          > http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Authors/D/Delany,_Samuel_R./
          >
          > And if/when the FAQ goes public, I'd like to put a pointer to it up there as
          > well.

          Definitely. (It's great that someone on the list is maintaining the DMOZ
          page.) I was wondering if you should have this page for your
          resource:

          http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Samuel_R._Delany

          Jay's page links to it, but it's outdated (and broken).

          Thanks,

          --Zvi
          zvi@...
        • Richard Moorman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
            Zvi Gilbert wrote:

            > Well, I was thinking about addressing a bibliography thematically. For
            > example:
            >
            > delany-faq question n:
            >
            > "What kinds of books has SRD written?"
            >
            > Science Fiction
            > ---------------
            > The Jewels of Aptor (1962)
            > Babel-17 (1966) *Nebula
            > [...]

            I like the "thematic bibliography" idea. It's a nice way to organize his works.

            Would you rather edit or write? Might there be a pool of FAQ questions available
            if we wanted to try answering them for collation by you or another?

            > > I rely on this for most of the info on the Open Directory Delany entry, which
            > > I try to keep short and sweetj and therefore not overwhelming:
            > >
            > > http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Authors/D/Delany,_Samuel_R./
            > >
            > > And if/when the FAQ goes public, I'd like to put a pointer to it up there as
            > > well.
            >
            > Definitely. (It's great that someone on the list is maintaining the DMOZ
            > page.) I was wondering if you should have this page for your
            > resource:
            >
            > http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Samuel_R._Delany
            >
            > Jay's page links to it, but it's outdated (and broken).

            Thanks! I just added it. (When it will appear, I'm not sure, but I added it...)
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2000
              Richard Moorman wrote:

              > > Without wishing to dis any of the existing Webpages, there is no
              > > page on Delany, that I have seen (ahhh, but I haven't done a real
              > > search in several months), which I would unhesitatingly describe as
              > > "information-rich."
              >
              > You might try:
              >
              > http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/

              The only page I had bookmarked, and I would describe it as
              information-rich, but hesitatingly. As noted, it hasn't been
              updated in a year.

              I was unaware of your DMOZ page, and am adding it to my bookmarks.

              Other sites of interest, which I would hesitatingly call information
              rich, include:

              http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/delany/
              which includes a link to a brief interview by Matt Baldwin
              (itself found at http://www.uidaho.edu/LS/Eng/Fugue/delany.html)

              http://www.tcom.ohiou.edu/books/scifi/delany.htm
              An interesting (if brief) essay by Jeffrey Allen Tucker

              http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/delany/delany_samuel_r0.html
              which includes a brief biography at
              http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/delany/delany_samuel_rbio.html

              And one which I think you would probably want to add to your page:
              http://www.bergenrecord.com/special/2000/jbdelan199812205.htm
              entitled
              Samuel Delany: 'I'm nobody's prototype for what's to come'

              > well.

              > Books, music, auctions and more! Amazon.com.

              | | |
              |--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | "Worship!" cried the clown, "I |
              | Staff Curriculum Developer | am a T.V., |
              | Oracle CRM Education | Making bandsmen go clockwork, |
              | email: ddanehyo@... | See the slinky seal Cirkus |
              | phone: 650.506.0793 | policeman; |
              | home.pacbell.net/katbarx | Bareback ladies have fish. |
              | | --KC 1971 |
              The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of
              Oracle Corporation.
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2000
                Zvi Gilbert wrote:

                > Oh, I'd probably volunteer to [at least help] compile, write, and
                > co-ordinate. I don't anticipate a FAQ being enormous, or too onerous.

                And I will also volunteer, precisely because my experience with
                FAQ-compiling leads me to believe that it will.

                | | |
                |--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | "Worship!" cried the clown, "I |
                | Staff Curriculum Developer | am a T.V., |
                | Oracle CRM Education | Making bandsmen go clockwork, |
                | email: ddanehyo@... | See the slinky seal Cirkus |
                | phone: 650.506.0793 | policeman; |
                | home.pacbell.net/katbarx | Bareback ladies have fish. |
                | | --KC 1971 |
                The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of
                Oracle Corporation.
              • Jay Schuster
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 7, 2000
                  Ron Henry <ronhenry@...> wrote:
                  > As far as I know, there's only one page out there that has any
                  > substantive info on SRD, http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/, but it
                  > a) hasn't been updated for over a year now, and b) has a bit more
                  > fannish a tone than I would use if I were creating a "home page"/FAQ.

                  First, an introduction -- I'm Jay Schuster, the guy who put together the
                  web page you mention.

                  A couple remarks -- I haven't had a lot to say on this list because I
                  *am* more of a fan than someone who can debate the literary merits of
                  anything. When I read something, I can tell you if I liked it, and what
                  I liked about it, but the language I use seems a lot simpler than what I
                  read, especially when what I'm reading about is Delany.

                  I also have felt *very* guilty at having made a major effort at indexing
                  all the references I could find to Delany on the web, and then letting
                  it fall by the wayside for years. I've known for six months that he's
                  been at SUNY Buffalo, but only got around to updating the page with that
                  information today.

                  I do agree with you, that what I've done does not make a great home
                  page, especially if what you want is a FAQ. There's too much stuff of
                  questionable value. Pages that only link to stuff with major Delany
                  content are simpler and cleaner, because there are a lot fewer links
                  (and they probably have more design sense than I do, since I certainly
                  focus my efforts towards gathering and organizing, and not making it
                  look pretty) with more content per link.

                  On the other hand, one of the joys of maintaining this page for me has
                  been that I've discovered a lot of people who only mention Delany
                  briefly -- that they liked _The Mad Man_, or _Hogg_, or _Stars..._, or
                  _Dhalgren_ -- but who, because of that reference, made me look around at
                  their site a little more and I've found neat people that way.

                  So I guess what I'm saying is: I'm sorry I haven't updated it in a long
                  time. I've just spent the past two days adding and updating links. The
                  unorganized links section is still long, but I'm working on it. My
                  Bibliography needs updating with his more recent stuff. But it's also
                  got more articles and reviews.

                  -- Jay
                  --
                • gerhardh@primemags.co.za
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2000
                    --- In delany-list@egroups.com, Jay Schuster <jay@p...> wrote:
                    > Ron Henry <ronhenry@...> wrote:
                    > > As far as I know, there's only one page out there that has any
                    > > substantive info on SRD, http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/

                    I would just like to express my gratitude to Jay Schuster for his Web
                    page, which helped fan my initial interest in Delany. I am sure that
                    many other people have found this to be an invaluable reource. Maybe
                    people can be encouraged to e-mail Jay with latest info, reviews,
                    articles, etc. to add to the site? Why create a separate 'official'
                    page when Jay has already gone to so much trouble?