Delany FAQ?

  • zvi@vex.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
      I was musing in the shower this morning about whether a
      Delany FAQ would be a good information resource for people
      interested in Delany's work. The question about the sequel
      to 'Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand' is one that I've
      heard several times (well, more than three [1]), and is one
      I'd include there. Other possible topics include what books
      would be the best introduction to Delany's critical work,
      science fiction, and fantasy; a brief bio; and anything else
      that anyone comes up with.

      This would not be intended to supplant the larger information-
      rich Web pages about Delany, but might serve to pull together
      some questions and answers in one place.

      What do you think?

      --Zvi
      zvi@...
      Moderator, Delany-List

      [1] 10 quatloos for the first person to name the novel and
      character.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2000
        Sigh. First try at this reply crashed.

        zvi@... wrote:
        > I was musing in the shower this morning about whether a
        > Delany FAQ would be a good information resource for people
        > interested in Delany's work.

        Absolutely; however, caveat: such lists (and I have participated
        in building a few of them) have a tendency to grow metastatically.
        There are several reasons for this; the salent ones include:

        * The tendency to squeeze in "just one more" question,
        which is asked *ALMOST* as frequently as the last
        one you sqoze in.

        * The tendency to completeness in answers ("We can't
        leave out...")

        Both thse are salient to one or more of your suggested topoi.

        > The question about the sequel
        > to 'Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand' is one that I've
        > heard several times (well, more than three [1]),

        > [1] 10 quatloos for the first person to name the novel and
        > character.

        I've always wanted to know what a quatloo looked like.

        The astronaut (Kemp? I think so. Anyway, him what had walked on
        the moon, but not the George) in _Dhalgren_, on the subject of
        being an interviewee.

        At any rate, this is the only topic that doesn't have a built-
        in tendency to metastasis (though multiple answers are almost
        inevitable as TSaMoBoC gradually becomes SRD*'s LAST DANGEROUS
        VISIONS.

        -------------
        * Every time I type "SRD" I feel this insane compulsion to
        emphasize that I am not NOT ***DAMMIT NOT*** referring to
        Stephen R. Donaldson.
        -------------

        > Other possible topics include what books
        > would be the best introduction to Delany's critical work,
        > science fiction, and fantasy;

        ... to which question you will receive a Rabbinical answer.
        ("Ask ten Rabbis a question about Torah, and you will receive
        eleven answers.") The only ways I can see to even approach
        this subject reasonably are (a) an arbitrary, one-person's-
        opinion answer, and (b) a freeferall where everyone gets to
        say their pros and cons for each book and the answers get
        summarized by some volunteer.

        > a brief bio;

        How brief do you want it?
        Samuel R. Delany was born and wrote some stuff.
        He isn't dead yet.

        Probably somewhat longer than that, I'll warrant... but shorter
        than the combined bulk of HEAVENLY BREAKFAST, TMoLiW, B&R,
        and the various autobiographical bits in the various essay
        collections.

        I don't know what a good length would be, but I'd suggest it
        be divided, roughly evenly, between life-stuff, sf/fantasy-
        stuff, and other writing-stuff*, to avoid the annoying "and
        then he wrote" while emphasizing what, in the end, makes SRD
        a potentially interesting biographical subject to those who
        have never met him.

        -------------
        * Yes, I am perfectly aware that this is an artificial set
        of distinctions, and that they wern and twern together.
        -------------

        > and anything else
        > that anyone comes up with.

        H'mmmm.

        * TILOA (The Inevitable List Of Awards), which should be
        kept clearly distinct from biographical stuff.
        * Pointers to not-collected material which may nonetheless be
        of interest and possibly available to the determined fanatic.
        * Definition of some of SRD's critical terminology.
        * "What to look for" -- a brief overview of some of SRD's
        recurring imagery, sonic and visual.
        * SRD as musician? Is there anything available to go there?
        * Listmembers' 100-words-or-less explanations of "why I love
        Delany's [sf/essays/fantasy/body/lectures/beard/etc.]."

        > This would not be intended to supplant the larger information-
        > rich Web pages about Delany, but might serve to pull together
        > some questions and answers in one place.

        Without wishing to dis any of the existing Webpages, there is no
        page on Delany, that I have seen (ahhh, but I haven't done a real
        search in several months), which I would unhesitatingly describe as
        "information-rich."

        | | |
        |--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | Cats foot |
        | Staff Curriculum Developer | Iron claw |
        | Oracle CRM Education | Neurosurgeons scream for more |
        | email: ddanehyo@... | At paranoia's poison door |
        | phone: 650.506.0793 | 21st Century Schizoid Man |
        | home.pacbell.net/katbarx | -- King Crimson '70 |
        | | |
        The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of
        Oracle Corporation.
      • Amy Harlib
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
          > From: zvi@...
          >
          > I was musing in the shower this morning about whether a
          > Delany FAQ would be a good information resource for people
          > interested in Delany's work. The question about the sequel
          > to 'Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand' is one that I've
          > heard several times (well, more than three [1]), and is one
          > I'd include there. Other possible topics include what books
          > would be the best introduction to Delany's critical work,
          > science fiction, and fantasy; a brief bio; and anything else
          > that anyone comes up with.
          >
          > This would not be intended to supplant the larger information-
          > rich Web pages about Delany, but might serve to pull together
          > some questions and answers in one place.
          >
          > What do you think?
          > > --Zvi
          I think a FAQ for this list is a great idea. The topics mentioned above are
          all just fine.
          > zvi@...
          > Moderator, Delany-List
          >
          > [1] 10 quatloos for the first person to name the novel and
          > character.
          > The very first work by Delany I ever read was The Einstein Intersection
          and that got me hooked real good and I'ver read his stuff avidly ever since
          (except when his non-fiction lit crit gets excessively
          academic/pedantic---ICK!) Amy

        • Ron Henry
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
            zvi wrote:

            >I was musing in the shower this morning about whether a
            >Delany FAQ would be a good information resource for people
            >interested in Delany's work.

            I've pondered this for a couple years now. As far as I know, there's only
            one page out there that has any substantive info on SRD,
            http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/ , but it a) hasn't been updated for over a
            year now, and b) has a bit more fannish a tone than I would use if I were
            creating a "home page"/FAQ.

            FWIW, I have a bit of experience with this as I've maintained the FAQ for
            the rock band R.E.M., so I've wrestled with some of the common issues
            (schedule of info maintenace, how much info is too much, etc.; though, with
            the R.E.M. FAQ I have probably strayed on the "too much info" side).

            >The question about the sequel
            >to 'Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand' is one that I've
            >heard several times (well, more than three [1]), and is one
            >I'd include there.

            Certainly a FAQ.

            >Other possible topics include what books
            >would be the best introduction to Delany's critical work,
            >science fiction, and fantasy; a brief bio; and anything else
            >that anyone comes up with.

            Marriage to poet Marilyn Hacker and influence of her poems on his early
            prose and characters, is another I'd include. Also, his current position
            (as I understand it, he has left UMass Amherst for SUNY Buffalo, right?).

            >This would not be intended to supplant the larger information-
            >rich Web pages about Delany, but might serve to pull together
            >some questions and answers in one place.

            Right. It would be crucial to get the author, Jay Schuster, of the site
            "SRD Information" site to link to, or even host, the FAQ. I don't believe
            he is on this list, however. Lacking his participation, however, I would be
            happy to place it on my web site.

            >[1] 10 quatloos for the first person to name the novel and
            >character.

            In Dhalgren, Kemp, and then later Kidd by example, talks about needing a
            practiced answer to any question that he gets asked 3 or more times
            publicly. :)

            Ron Henry
            --
            Ron Henry / ronhenry@...
            Aught, a journal of poetry
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
              A Delany FAQ would be a lovely thing, but who's going to write it? Or
              rather, who're going to write it? Compile it?

              There are Delany bios, award lists, bibliographies and such out on the Web.
              Do we include the information in the FAQ, or merely point to those URLs that
              we hope are most permanent?

              Also, in reply to Dan'l's question:

              Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

              > Without wishing to dis any of the existing Webpages, there is no
              > page on Delany, that I have seen (ahhh, but I haven't done a real
              > search in several months), which I would unhesitatingly describe as
              > "information-rich."

              You might try:

              http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/

              (which is titled "Samuel R. Delany Information", by gosh)

              I rely on this for most of the info on the Open Directory Delany entry, which
              I try to keep short and sweetj and therefore not overwhelming:

              http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Authors/D/Delany,_Samuel_R./

              And if/when the FAQ goes public, I'd like to put a pointer to it up there as
              well.
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
                Hi Richard,

                From: Richard Moorman <rmoorman@...>
                > A Delany FAQ would be a lovely thing, but who's going to write it? Or
                > rather, who're going to write it? Compile it?

                Oh, I'd probably volunteer to [at least help] compile, write, and
                co-ordinate. I don't anticipate a FAQ being enormous, or too onerous.

                > There are Delany bios, award lists, bibliographies and such out on the Web.
                > Do we include the information in the FAQ, or merely point to those URLs that
                > we hope are most permanent?

                Well, I was thinking about addressing a bibliography thematically. For
                example:

                delany-faq question n:

                "What kinds of books has SRD written?"

                Science Fiction
                ---------------
                The Jewels of Aptor (1962)
                Babel-17 (1966) *Nebula
                [...]

                Criticism
                --------
                The Jewel-Hinged Jaw (1977)
                [...]

                Erotica
                ------
                Equinox
                [...]

                Fantasy
                -------
                Neveryon series
                [...]

                Comics
                ------
                Empire (with Howard Chaykin)

                Memoir
                ------
                Heavenly Breakfast
                The Motion of Light in Water

                For further information, see the Internet Science Fiction DataBase at:
                http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb/index.html"

                This would have the dual purpose of a bibliography and a sort of, mmm,
                thematic galaxy of possible entrances into SRD's work.

                > I rely on this for most of the info on the Open Directory Delany entry, which
                > I try to keep short and sweetj and therefore not overwhelming:
                >
                > http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Authors/D/Delany,_Samuel_R./
                >
                > And if/when the FAQ goes public, I'd like to put a pointer to it up there as
                > well.

                Definitely. (It's great that someone on the list is maintaining the DMOZ
                page.) I was wondering if you should have this page for your
                resource:

                http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Samuel_R._Delany

                Jay's page links to it, but it's outdated (and broken).

                Thanks,

                --Zvi
                zvi@...
              • Richard Moorman
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2000
                  Zvi Gilbert wrote:

                  > Well, I was thinking about addressing a bibliography thematically. For
                  > example:
                  >
                  > delany-faq question n:
                  >
                  > "What kinds of books has SRD written?"
                  >
                  > Science Fiction
                  > ---------------
                  > The Jewels of Aptor (1962)
                  > Babel-17 (1966) *Nebula
                  > [...]

                  I like the "thematic bibliography" idea. It's a nice way to organize his works.

                  Would you rather edit or write? Might there be a pool of FAQ questions available
                  if we wanted to try answering them for collation by you or another?

                  > > I rely on this for most of the info on the Open Directory Delany entry, which
                  > > I try to keep short and sweetj and therefore not overwhelming:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Authors/D/Delany,_Samuel_R./
                  > >
                  > > And if/when the FAQ goes public, I'd like to put a pointer to it up there as
                  > > well.
                  >
                  > Definitely. (It's great that someone on the list is maintaining the DMOZ
                  > page.) I was wondering if you should have this page for your
                  > resource:
                  >
                  > http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Samuel_R._Delany
                  >
                  > Jay's page links to it, but it's outdated (and broken).

                  Thanks! I just added it. (When it will appear, I'm not sure, but I added it...)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2000
                    Richard Moorman wrote:

                    > > Without wishing to dis any of the existing Webpages, there is no
                    > > page on Delany, that I have seen (ahhh, but I haven't done a real
                    > > search in several months), which I would unhesitatingly describe as
                    > > "information-rich."
                    >
                    > You might try:
                    >
                    > http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/

                    The only page I had bookmarked, and I would describe it as
                    information-rich, but hesitatingly. As noted, it hasn't been
                    updated in a year.

                    I was unaware of your DMOZ page, and am adding it to my bookmarks.

                    Other sites of interest, which I would hesitatingly call information
                    rich, include:

                    http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/delany/
                    which includes a link to a brief interview by Matt Baldwin
                    (itself found at http://www.uidaho.edu/LS/Eng/Fugue/delany.html)

                    http://www.tcom.ohiou.edu/books/scifi/delany.htm
                    An interesting (if brief) essay by Jeffrey Allen Tucker

                    http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/delany/delany_samuel_r0.html
                    which includes a brief biography at
                    http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/delany/delany_samuel_rbio.html

                    And one which I think you would probably want to add to your page:
                    http://www.bergenrecord.com/special/2000/jbdelan199812205.htm
                    entitled
                    Samuel Delany: 'I'm nobody's prototype for what's to come'

                    > well.

                    > Books, music, auctions and more! Amazon.com.

                    | | |
                    |--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | "Worship!" cried the clown, "I |
                    | Staff Curriculum Developer | am a T.V., |
                    | Oracle CRM Education | Making bandsmen go clockwork, |
                    | email: ddanehyo@... | See the slinky seal Cirkus |
                    | phone: 650.506.0793 | policeman; |
                    | home.pacbell.net/katbarx | Bareback ladies have fish. |
                    | | --KC 1971 |
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2000
                      Zvi Gilbert wrote:

                      > Oh, I'd probably volunteer to [at least help] compile, write, and
                      > co-ordinate. I don't anticipate a FAQ being enormous, or too onerous.

                      And I will also volunteer, precisely because my experience with
                      FAQ-compiling leads me to believe that it will.

                      | | |
                      |--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes | "Worship!" cried the clown, "I |
                      | Staff Curriculum Developer | am a T.V., |
                      | Oracle CRM Education | Making bandsmen go clockwork, |
                      | email: ddanehyo@... | See the slinky seal Cirkus |
                      | phone: 650.506.0793 | policeman; |
                      | home.pacbell.net/katbarx | Bareback ladies have fish. |
                      | | --KC 1971 |
                      The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of
                      Oracle Corporation.
                    • Jay Schuster
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 7, 2000
                        Ron Henry <ronhenry@...> wrote:
                        > As far as I know, there's only one page out there that has any
                        > substantive info on SRD, http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/, but it
                        > a) hasn't been updated for over a year now, and b) has a bit more
                        > fannish a tone than I would use if I were creating a "home page"/FAQ.

                        First, an introduction -- I'm Jay Schuster, the guy who put together the
                        web page you mention.

                        A couple remarks -- I haven't had a lot to say on this list because I
                        *am* more of a fan than someone who can debate the literary merits of
                        anything. When I read something, I can tell you if I liked it, and what
                        I liked about it, but the language I use seems a lot simpler than what I
                        read, especially when what I'm reading about is Delany.

                        I also have felt *very* guilty at having made a major effort at indexing
                        all the references I could find to Delany on the web, and then letting
                        it fall by the wayside for years. I've known for six months that he's
                        been at SUNY Buffalo, but only got around to updating the page with that
                        information today.

                        I do agree with you, that what I've done does not make a great home
                        page, especially if what you want is a FAQ. There's too much stuff of
                        questionable value. Pages that only link to stuff with major Delany
                        content are simpler and cleaner, because there are a lot fewer links
                        (and they probably have more design sense than I do, since I certainly
                        focus my efforts towards gathering and organizing, and not making it
                        look pretty) with more content per link.

                        On the other hand, one of the joys of maintaining this page for me has
                        been that I've discovered a lot of people who only mention Delany
                        briefly -- that they liked _The Mad Man_, or _Hogg_, or _Stars..._, or
                        _Dhalgren_ -- but who, because of that reference, made me look around at
                        their site a little more and I've found neat people that way.

                        So I guess what I'm saying is: I'm sorry I haven't updated it in a long
                        time. I've just spent the past two days adding and updating links. The
                        unorganized links section is still long, but I'm working on it. My
                        Bibliography needs updating with his more recent stuff. But it's also
                        got more articles and reviews.

                        -- Jay
                        --
                      • gerhardh@primemags.co.za
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2000
                          --- In delany-list@egroups.com, Jay Schuster <jay@p...> wrote:
                          > Ron Henry <ronhenry@...> wrote:
                          > > As far as I know, there's only one page out there that has any
                          > > substantive info on SRD, http://www.pcc.com/~jay/delany/

                          I would just like to express my gratitude to Jay Schuster for his Web
                          page, which helped fan my initial interest in Delany. I am sure that
                          many other people have found this to be an invaluable reource. Maybe
                          people can be encouraged to e-mail Jay with latest info, reviews,
                          articles, etc. to add to the site? Why create a separate 'official'
                          page when Jay has already gone to so much trouble?