3471Re: [delany-list] Audio book

    Feb 19, 2013
      That's really interesting Greg, thanks for the link!

      Following up at that page... it seems that two Ace paperbacks by Chip are
      now 'public domain' in the US? They're copyright by Ace Books (not Samuel
      R. Delany) in 1962 and 1963, which makes them 51 and 50 years old
      respectively. In the file itself, it says "Extensive research did not
      uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was
      renewed."

      (This is of course the Ace version only not any later or earlier edition
      copyright by Samuel R. Delany.)

      According to this page:
      http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

      This is legit:

      1923 through 1963

      Published with notice but copyright was not
      renewed8<http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm#Footnote_8>

      None. In the public domain due to copyright expiration

      HOWEVER! It looks like these are the only such works by Chip that are thus
      affected -- copyright law changes in the US in 1964:

      1964 through 1977

      Published with notice

      95 years after publication date

      So it looks like these will be the only such "public domain" works from Ace
      Books that will exist for another 45 years or so.

      Disclaimer: IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).

      --Zvi