removing exported background colour in Word 2010

  • Janine
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2012
      Hi,

      In DVX1 (or maybe the problem lies in the Word version), when you
      exported a translation with background colour markings, you could remove
      it in 'randen en arcering' > arcering (sorry, no idea what the English
      terms are)in Word 2003.
      In DVX2 and Word 2010 that same function is still there (both with the
      same dialog box and with the paint tin button), but it no longer works.

      How do you remove this background colour?
      The option to export coloured text in order to mark guaranteed matches
      would not work because of the text colours in the source document that
      will have to stay the same.

      I hope someone has found a solution for this because I think it is a
      very useful feature.

      --
      Groeten,
      Janine

      DVX2 build 555
      Windows 7 home 64-bits
      Word 2010
    • Janine
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2012
        I have struggled with this for quite some time now.
        After sending the last message, I tried another option and it worked.
        I think this list must exert some kind of magical power: Sometimes you
        only have to submit a question and the answer automatically pops up in
        your head.

        BTW the solution was: choose 'text' the box at the bottom (right).

        Sorry for being a nuisance.

        Groeten,
        Janine

        Op 2-7-2012 12:52, Janine schreef:
        > Hi,
        >
        > In DVX1 (or maybe the problem lies in the Word version), when you
        > exported a translation with background colour markings, you could
        > remove it in 'randen en arcering' > arcering (sorry, no idea what the
        > English terms are)in Word 2003.
        > In DVX2 and Word 2010 that same function is still there (both with the
        > same dialog box and with the paint tin button), but it no longer works.
        >
        > How do you remove this background colour?
        > The option to export coloured text in order to mark guaranteed matches
        > would not work because of the text colours in the source document that
        > will have to stay the same.
        >
        > I hope someone has found a solution for this because I think it is a
        > very useful feature.

      • Janine
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2012
          Well, I am still having problems with it.
          When you select a non coloured part together with the coloured part, I
          find it impossible to uncolour it. This means you would have to
          meticulously select every single coloured part by hand.

          Is there any other way? I could not find any option for background
          colour in S & R.

          Groeten,
          Janine

          Op 2-7-2012 12:59, Janine schreef:
          > I have struggled with this for quite some time now.
          > After sending the last message, I tried another option and it worked.
          > I think this list must exert some kind of magical power: Sometimes you
          > only have to submit a question and the answer automatically pops up in
          > your head.
          >
          > BTW the solution was: choose 'text' the box at the bottom (right).
          >
          > Sorry for being a nuisance.
          >
          > Groeten,
          > Janine
          >
          > Op 2-7-2012 12:52, Janine schreef:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> In DVX1 (or maybe the problem lies in the Word version), when you
          >> exported a translation with background colour markings, you could
          >> remove it in 'randen en arcering' > arcering (sorry, no idea what the
          >> English terms are)in Word 2003.
          >> In DVX2 and Word 2010 that same function is still there (both with
          >> the same dialog box and with the paint tin button), but it no longer
          >> works.
          >>
          >> How do you remove this background colour?
          >> The option to export coloured text in order to mark guaranteed
          >> matches would not work because of the text colours in the source
          >> document that will have to stay the same.
          >>
          >> I hope someone has found a solution for this because I think it is a
          >> very useful feature.

        • Rod Bowman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2012
            Hi,

            In S&R isn't it possible to search for "nothing" selecting format -
            highlight to find these instances and then replace with "nothing" no
            highlight?

            FWIW

            Rod

            Janine wrote:

            >Well, I am still having problems with it.
            >When you select a non coloured part together with the coloured part, I
            >find it impossible to uncolour it. This means you would have to
            >meticulously select every single coloured part by hand.
            >
            >Is there any other way? I could not find any option for background
            >colour in S & R.
            >
            >Groeten,
            >Janine
            >
            >Op 2-7-2012 12:59, Janine schreef:
            >

            >>I have struggled with this for quite some time now.
            >>After sending the last message, I tried another option and it worked.
            >>I think this list must exert some kind of magical power: Sometimes you
            >>only have to submit a question and the answer automatically pops up in
            >>your head.
            >>
            >>BTW the solution was: choose 'text' the box at the bottom (right).
            >>
            >>Sorry for being a nuisance.
            >>
            >>Groeten,
            >>Janine
            >>
            >>Op 2-7-2012 12:52, Janine schreef:
            >>

            >>>Hi,
            >>>
            >>>In DVX1 (or maybe the problem lies in the Word version), when you
            >>>exported a translation with background colour markings, you could
            >>>remove it in 'randen en arcering' > arcering (sorry, no idea what the
            >>>English terms are)in Word 2003.
            >>>In DVX2 and Word 2010 that same function is still there (both with
            >>>the same dialog box and with the paint tin button), but it no longer
            >>>works.
            >>>
            >>>How do you remove this background colour?
            >>>The option to export coloured text in order to mark guaranteed
            >>>matches would not work because of the text colours in the source
            >>>document that will have to stay the same.
            >>>
            >>>I hope someone has found a solution for this because I think it is a
            >>>very useful feature.
            >>>

            >------------------------------------

          • Janine
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
              Yes, for highlights that is possible, but I haven't found anything for
              background colour (the colour from the bucket thingy).

              Groeten,
              Janine

              Op 4-7-2012 8:27, Rod Bowman schreef:

              > Hi,
              >
              > In S&R isn't it possible to search for "nothing" selecting format -
              > highlight to find these instances and then replace with "nothing" no
              > highlight?
              >
              > FWIW
              >
              > Rod

            • asaptraduction
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Janine <jklijsten@...> wrote:

                > Yes, for highlights that is possible, but I haven't found anything for
                > background colour (the colour from the bucket thingy).

                Not sure I understand the distinction you seem to make between "highlight" and "background colour".
                You can remove highlighting (or background colour) using S&R.
                The problem comes if you have two or more different background colours and you only want to remove one.
                You'll then need a macro.

                Dave
              • Janine
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                  I don't know the exact terms in the English version but for exporting
                  text from DVX1/2 with background colour, this is what you have to change
                  in Word 2010:
                  Tab: Page layout (4th tab) > Page background > Page borders (or
                  something like that [it's the 3rd option) > third tab

                  sometimes you can also decolour with the paint tin on tab: Start >
                  Paragraph (I think it must be called).

                  So this background colour from DVX cannot be edited with the highlight
                  marker on Start > Font, because this is another function.

                  In S&R I can only find this last one.

                  Groeten,
                  Janine

                  Op 4-7-2012 10:46, asaptraduction schreef:
                  > Not sure I understand the distinction you seem to make between
                  > "highlight" and "background colour".
                  > You can remove highlighting (or background colour) using S&R.
                • Walter Weyne [E-globalcom.net]
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012

                    AFAIK, Highlight can be changed with S/R, background colors (in tables) not.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                      Janine,
                      You're right about S&R. It doesn't seem to work in this case, for some reason.
                      And even going into the Page Layout tab, it seems to be buggy.
                      I googled on it and found this which seems to work:

                      Select the text you want to remove the highlighting/background from.
                      On the Page Layout tab in the Page Background group, click Page Borders.
                      Go to the Shading tab.
                      Under Filling, even if No Fill is already selected, open the menu and select it again (this is important!).
                      Select Style 'Transparent'.
                      Apply to: Text.

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                        Dave,

                        Yes, but this does not work when you select a paragraph (or the whole
                        text after proofreading) including unpainted parts. So you have to
                        select every instance by hand without non-painted leading or trailing
                        spaces.

                        For a single paragraph that isn't a problem, but for an entire document
                        it is.
                        That way all the benefits you would have from not having to check
                        guaranteed matches will disappear.

                        For now I have 'solved' this by selecting 'strike through', but after a
                        while you get a little cross-eyed with a text like that. And you miss
                        the possibilities different colours for different statuses offer.

                        Groeten,
                        Janine

                        Op 4-7-2012 12:20, asaptraduction schreef:
                        > Select the text you want to remove the highlighting/background from.
                        > On the Page Layout tab in the Page Background group, click Page Borders.
                        > Go to the Shading tab.
                        > Under Filling, even if No Fill is already selected, open the menu and
                        > select it again (this is important!).
                        > Select Style 'Transparent'.
                        > Apply to: Text.
                      • asaptraduction
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 4, 2012
                          --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Janine <jklijsten@...> wrote:

                          > Yes, but this does not work when you select a paragraph (or the whole
                          > text after proofreading) including unpainted parts. So you have to
                          > select every instance by hand without non-painted leading or trailing
                          > spaces.

                          It seemed to work for me. It doesn't work if you just leave the default selections. It seems as if you actually have to open the menu and select them again. Must be a bug in Word 2010.

                          Dave