Re: [dejavu-l] delimiters

  • Karin Montin
    Message 1 of 19 , May 23, 2012
      Just yesterday I downloaded a file called
      DVX_Segmentation_Exceptions_for_Dummies from this group's Files section.
      Here's the explanation for Mr.

      Mr.^w – the abbreviation "Mr." followed by a space. Without
      specification of the space, the .^w rule will take precedence and the
      sentence will be split!

      You entre the exception on Tools > Options > Delimiters.

      Hope that helps,

      Karin

      On 23/05/2012 4:06 AM, ali wrote:
      > Hi everybody
      > I have recently started using DV. I need to learn how to edit segmentation rules. For example i need to add an exception for Dr.
      > Please help me with this issue.
      > Thank you all.

    • Michelle Asselin
      Message 2 of 19 , May 23, 2012
        Tools / Options / Delimiters
        Under Exceptions, indicate the following in the "Before Split" box:
        Dr.^w

        that should do the trick

        Hi everybody
        I have recently started using DV. I need to learn how to edit segmentation rules. For example i need to add an exception for Dr.
        Please help me with this issue.
        Thank you all.
      • ali
        Message 3 of 19 , May 23, 2012
          Thank you Michelle
          I added the exception but it didn't work.

          --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Asselin <Michelle@...> wrote:

          > Tools / Options / Delimiters
          > Under Exceptions, indicate the following in the "Before Split" box:
          > Dr.^w
          >
          > that should do the trick
          >

          > >Hi everybody
          > >I have recently started using DV. I need to learn how to edit
          > >segmentation rules. For example i need to add an exception for Dr.
          > >Please help me with this issue.
          > >Thank you all.

        • alfredochicote
          Message 4 of 19 , May 23, 2012
            Hi Ali:

            You can find a "DVX Segmentation Exceptions for Dummies" guide on this link:
            http://es.scribd.com/klossner/d/84907643-DVX-Segmentation-Exceptions-for-Dummies

            It certainly helped me out when I was starting!

            Regards,
            Alfredo

            --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, "ali" <ali.erfani222@...> wrote:

            > Hi everybody
            > I have recently started using DV. I need to learn how to edit segmentation rules. For example i need to add an exception for Dr.
            > Please help me with this issue.
            > Thank you all.

          • ali erfani
            Message 5 of 19 , May 23, 2012
              Thank you Karin, it was very helpful.

              On 23/05/2012 4:06 AM, ali wrote:
              > Hi everybody
              > I have recently started using DV. I need to learn how to edit segmentation rules. For example i need to add an exception for Dr.
              > Please help me with this issue.
              > Thank you all.

              <*> Atril website:
                 http://www.atril.com

              <*> Nelson's tips & tricks
                 (originally written for DV3/DVX1, but partly still useful for DVX2):
                 http://www.necco.ca/dv

              <*> IT help for translators:

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 dejavu-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 dejavu-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --
              Ali Erfani
              M.A In Translation Studies

              Address:
              Shariati Faculty of Humanities, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad (FUM) campus, Azadi Sq., Mashhad, Khorasan Razavi, Iran
              P.O. Box: 9177948974

              Mobile: +989373417899
              E-Mail:

            • Hector D Calabia
              Message 6 of 19 , May 24, 2012
                As an additional note, through the years I have discovered that certain _additional_ segmentation is often useful in DVX. I have added rules to have the system segment at colons ( : ), semicolons ( ; ) and at bullets ( • ).

                The segmentation at bullets (or at numbers in numbered lists) is simply to keep them out of the way, and to send (and have) cleaner segments in memory.

                The colons and semicolons simply because they generally separate somewhat complete utterances that have a higher possibility of repeating themselves as separate units.

                These separations cannot adversely affect the memory leverage (matches), as the system can automatically assemble two or more shorter segments into one larger unit, if necessary.

                Regards,

                Hector C.