Re: Detailed bug fix list published yet?

  • britinswe
    Message 1 of 43 , May 10, 2012
      Gudmund

      Apologies if I "creatively" misinterpreted you!

      The S&R bug can be quite easily reproduced by following the S&R test I outlined, add spaces after a comma in target segments in a, and thewn remove. On my system under 555 it just freezes - very serious.

      The reason for asking re the bug fix list is that it what was promised, but has not materialised.
      I need to know to be able to make an informed decision on whether to upgrade to the latest build. I don't want to take unnecessary risks.

      I also raised the question in our last email exchange, what was actually achieved, what gets fed back into the Atril system. But understandably you did not respond. Because maybe you don't know like me. We need more clearly defined transparent processes to support Atril effectively.

      As for sending stuff to Daniel, I don't think there is much point because I haven't had a response from him on my third reminder. Guess he's just snowed under!

      Brian
      --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Gudmund Areskoug <gudmundpublic@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > I have not been very "happy" with automatic reporting system to Atril
      > > as it created often additional problems on top of the original
      > > problem.
      > >
      > > In an exchnage with Gudmund, his view seemed to be remove it if not
      > > working well (re notification etc)
      >
      > That was not quite what I meant. Of course we should receive
      > notification. But until that works, we're better off without its lying
      > to us. And in the meantime, they should of course fix it.
      >
      > > when bug fixed. My view was not to
      > > reduce the scanty info we receive on bugs, but there should as a
      > > minimum be a local user log with appropriate details.
      >
      > I agree. Of course, the best would be to remove the need for them by
      > having no errors and crashes in the software.
      >
      > > The automatic
      > > reporting system no longer exists (I believe), no local user log so
      > > we are left with even less info than before. Pity your recommendation
      > > went through Gudmund?
      >
      > I don't think they've changed a thing in that respect, but I'll ask just
      > the same.
      >
      > FWIW, I could without problem paste in an error report from one of those
      > "crash on closing" incidents into a mail message from build 555.
      >
      > Perhaps you just haven't had bad enough crashes? ;)
      >
      > > Identification and reporting of bugs, and fixing thereof seems to me
      > > to be very random and unprofessional.
      >
      > There is room for improvement, no doubt. So far, I presume it has been a
      > question of either putting the resources into bug fixing, or into making
      > a bug reporting system that satisfies users.
      >
      > Spending the resources fixing the bugs is in my view the better option
      > as long as one has to choose. One shouldn't have to choose, of course.
      >
      > > I reported a search/replace bug (amongst several other bugs) some
      > > time ago - pretty serious IMHO and basic. What am I supposed to do
      > > run additional tests to see if it has been fixed in this build yet
      > > again?
      >
      > Could they be reproduced? If they can't be reproduced, it's hit and
      > miss. And that goes for *any* software out there.
      >
      > > Well, I did and did a search for commas and replaced with extra
      > > spaces on the target side, and DVX2 froze.
      >
      > For how long? Indefinitely, or did it come back to the land of the
      > living again after a while?
      >
      > How large a project was this?
      >
      > BTW, has Atril had access to any of your problem projects? Some very
      > annoying and hard-to-catch bugs I have experienced have been fixed when
      > Daniel has had the opportunity to look *directly* at problem projects of
      > mine.
      >
      > > Whole process is frustrating, so when will detailed bug fixes be
      > > published? Improvement here would be welcome. Brian
      >
      > All I can do is pass it on...
      >
      > BR,
      > Gudmund
      > --
      > This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se
      > Please direct any complaints about this to them.

    • Gudmund Areskoug
      Message 43 of 43 , May 25, 2012
        On 2012-05-24 23:30, britinswe wrote:
        > What do you think?