Re: Latest version: AHK script for GT and AA results in same row (was Client not happy I used Google Translate)

  • steven.marzuola
    Message 1 of 63 , Apr 30 12:03 PM
      --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Maureen Young <maureen.young@...> wrote:

      > I know my subjects (mainly architecture and construction) well enough
      > to easily discard GT's junk output (both language use and
      > terminology). GT helps speed things up, but where I find it most
      > helpful is in providing technical terms that only need confirming,
      > which is much faster than searching for them in the first place. For
      > this reason the Lexicon becomes crucial for helping me stick to and
      > update my preferred terminology for a given project or client, all
      > the more important considering the extra influence of GT.

      Maureen, I use the Lexicon but I feel almost as strongly about the terms in my own TDB.

      But I think we agree: If DVX could integrate GT but prioritize our terms (from Lexicon or TDB) over any suggestions from GT, it would be one more step down the road to wonderful.

      Steven
    • Maureen Young
      Message 63 of 63 , May 1, 2012
        At 20:11 30/04/2012, Michelle wrote:

        >Those who use GT should remember also that when GT sends a
        >"translation" it asks whether the person receiving it wants to
        >"improve" it. I suspect many do. Although not all so-called
        >"improvements" really are that.

        Are you trying to say that it is better not to trust GT? :-D
        GT's very untrustworthyness is what makes it so useful for
        professional translators. In the hands of anyone without an excellent
        knowledge of their subject and good language skills, GT can be a very
        dangerous tool, whereas we are in the position to reliably take
        advantage of its power to speed things up and help with research.

        And while some of GTs unreliability (to make an understatement) might
        be due to the "improvements" you mention, most of it is due to the
        fact that while the technology is amazing...it's still just not that
        good. It's still no replacement for an human being with expertise,
        despite its advantage in speed and memory.

        Here is an example of my latest GT result:

        "Another aspect that emphasizes the separation of the lateral bodies
        than the central band is the bricks with which it is treated the top
        of the first, while the hoof, which gets up to two meters from ground
        level, runs smoothly throughout the building."

        ...yeah, right.

        Sometimes I get near perfect results (kind of scary), and sometimes I
        get a gem in amongst the gibberish (happily added to my
        TDBs--confirming a term based on subject knowledge is generally much
        faster than finding it yourself). And sometimes, as in the example
        above, there are no gems, most of the terms are wrong, it makes
        little sense, and yet GT still speeds things up by giving me a
        structure to start dictating from, based on my understanding of the
        original sentence and on the terms I know or have stored in my databases.

        Your milage may vary. In any case, in case it is not clear to
        everyone on this list, GT only asks people for "improvements" when
        providing translations from their website. DVX2 DOES NOT sends our
        translations to Google.

        Happy May Day,
        Maureen