Re: [dejavu-l] Hypothetical commercial-ethical question re TMs and Terminology to clients

  • Herbert Eppel
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30 11:14 AM
      Brian

      Are you talking about project-specific TM/TB subsets or big mama/papa?

      Obviously, I wouldn't give away my big mama/papa under any
      circumstances, but I regularly send project-specific bilingual files to
      clients, and why not? After all, they could easily create
      project-specific TMs using an alignment tool.

      As for Lexicons/project-specific TBs, it depends.

      Herbert

      On 30.04.2012 18:07 UK Time, britinswe wrote:
      > I wonder how most freelancers would handle a request to give their project lexicon, TM, or terminology list to a regular direct client?
      >
      > At the moment I regard these as internal resources that I would only release separately on a commercial basis. And I think the client would be horrified
      >
      > How would you reason this with the client?
      > The more they deal with a specific translator, the more valuable the resources that translator has. And the more dependent they become on the translator.
      >
      > Brian
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • steven.marzuola
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30 12:20 PM
        Déjà vu, and not software ... this was discussed a few times during my early years on this group.

        As Herbert says, the client could generate their own TMs by aligning the source and target which they have bought and paid for. I have no compunction about giving them a TM and project-specific glossary. When they ask in advance, I include it in my fee, and if they ask later, I would ask for a nominal amount to cover my time.

        Regarding a project-specific glossary: I would warn a customer, this depends on my judgment regarding terms that a knowledgable translator might not know or about which reasonable people might disagree (which belong in the glossary) and terms that a knowledgeable translator should know or figure out (which would not go in the glossary).

        Another consideration: My favorite clients are long-term, and they don't ask to see my TM or glossary. Either it's a bother for them, or they trust me. The ones who ask for those items are planning ahead for the next job, when they won't be hiring me. Just sayin'.

        Steven

        --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Herbert Eppel <herb@...> wrote:

        > Brian
        >
        > Are you talking about project-specific TM/TB subsets or big mama/papa?
        >
        > Obviously, I wouldn't give away my big mama/papa under any
        > circumstances, but I regularly send project-specific bilingual files to
        > clients, and why not? After all, they could easily create
        > project-specific TMs using an alignment tool.
        >
        > As for Lexicons/project-specific TBs, it depends.
        >
        > Herbert
        >

        > On 30.04.2012 18:07 UK Time, britinswe wrote:
        > > I wonder how most freelancers would handle a request to give their project lexicon, TM, or terminology list to a regular direct client?
        > >
        > > At the moment I regard these as internal resources that I would only release separately on a commercial basis. And I think the client would be horrified
        > >
        > > How would you reason this with the client?
        > > The more they deal with a specific translator, the more valuable the resources that translator has. And the more dependent they become on the translator.
        > >
        > > Brian
      • Gudmund Areskoug
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2012
          On 2012-04-30 20:14, Herbert Eppel wrote:
          > After all, they could easily create project-specific TMs using an alignment tool.

          I think the key word here is "easily". If it is done easily, why don't
          they do it already?

          If agreed upon in advance, or the nature of the project is such that
          it's really not much more than the click of a button or two, it's one thing.

          If it's a matter of source files and target files, the matter becomes
          different.

          Depending on what they want and what kind of client it is, I would most
          likely charge for it. And the/a TDB - never, unless I get an assignment
          for it. Lexicon? Same thing, unless they want a raw one, which wouldn't
          be much use.

          I have seen how badly misused TMs can be, when the client doesn't
          understand, or doesn't care about language and translation quality. What
          a mess it can be!

          If you're lucky, they come back to you, but sometimes they're just too
          embarrassed. I've been at the end of such cycles once or twice, where
          old clients with TM agreements came back from a completely different
          direction because they got a bad scolding from their Swedish
          representatives for the horrible results their economical initiatives
          gave them. In one case, the Swedish part of the company took over the
          translations, until they realized after a year or two that they actually
          *did* require professional attention... Nice, but 2 - 3 years lost, for
          everyone.

          BR,
          Gudmund
          --
          This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se
          Please direct any complaints about this to them.