Re: [dejavu-l] Latest version: AHK script for GT and AA results in same row (was Client not happy I used Google Translate)

  • Maureen Young
    Message 1 of 63 , Apr 29 8:24 AM
      At 17:01 29/04/2012, you wrote:

      >Dear Maureen,
      >
      > > Hmmm, can someone tell me the name of this character '§' in English? I
      > > could use all by itself.
      >
      >It'll come up in Dragon if you say "section sign" (just as "hash sign",
      >"number sign" or "sharp sign" will give "#") but, if you want to type it
      >rather than use it as a command, you could change it to anything you like by
      >adding a new pronunciation in Vocabulary Editor.

      Thanks for reminding me of that possibility,
      Simon. Come to think of it, I ended up devising
      the AHK macro in the first place because I
      thought I should be able to do something like
      this with Dragon, but it turned out that it would
      have required the Professional version, rather
      than Premium, or adding the Knowbrainer macros. AHK was quick and free. :-)

      I could call the § key "give me Google Translate
      and Autoassembly results". Nah, maybe "goose" for
      short? While I'm at it, I could call Ctrl+down
      "duck". (I used to love a game called "duck,
      duck, goose" in kindergarten. So exciting.)

      Maureen (trying to keep herself entertained)
    • Maureen Young
      Message 63 of 63 , May 1, 2012
        At 20:11 30/04/2012, Michelle wrote:

        >Those who use GT should remember also that when GT sends a
        >"translation" it asks whether the person receiving it wants to
        >"improve" it. I suspect many do. Although not all so-called
        >"improvements" really are that.

        Are you trying to say that it is better not to trust GT? :-D
        GT's very untrustworthyness is what makes it so useful for
        professional translators. In the hands of anyone without an excellent
        knowledge of their subject and good language skills, GT can be a very
        dangerous tool, whereas we are in the position to reliably take
        advantage of its power to speed things up and help with research.

        And while some of GTs unreliability (to make an understatement) might
        be due to the "improvements" you mention, most of it is due to the
        fact that while the technology is amazing...it's still just not that
        good. It's still no replacement for an human being with expertise,
        despite its advantage in speed and memory.

        Here is an example of my latest GT result:

        "Another aspect that emphasizes the separation of the lateral bodies
        than the central band is the bricks with which it is treated the top
        of the first, while the hoof, which gets up to two meters from ground
        level, runs smoothly throughout the building."

        ...yeah, right.

        Sometimes I get near perfect results (kind of scary), and sometimes I
        get a gem in amongst the gibberish (happily added to my
        TDBs--confirming a term based on subject knowledge is generally much
        faster than finding it yourself). And sometimes, as in the example
        above, there are no gems, most of the terms are wrong, it makes
        little sense, and yet GT still speeds things up by giving me a
        structure to start dictating from, based on my understanding of the
        original sentence and on the terms I know or have stored in my databases.

        Your milage may vary. In any case, in case it is not clear to
        everyone on this list, GT only asks people for "improvements" when
        providing translations from their website. DVX2 DOES NOT sends our
        translations to Google.

        Happy May Day,
        Maureen