Re: Cleaning a TM (Translation Memory)

  • gennady.lapardin
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 6:21 AM
      Thank you Jorge,

      unfortunately I experience insurmountable difficulty in writing new SQL statements.
      As for the rest, I confirm that the problem is non-translated (empty) and/or populated with the same language (the same text) cells on the target side.

      Best,

      Gennady
      ========================
      Relocated from: Client not happy I used Google Translate
      Posted by: "Jorge Gorín" jorge.gorin@... jorgegorin
      Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 am (PDT)

      Hello Gennady:

      Just to try to provide you with an answer, and if I understand you correctly
      and you want to remove entries where the target is empty or alternatively
      the target text is identical to the source text, you could try to execute an
      SQL command to that effect. (I understand that SQL commands can also be
      executed in TMs, not only in projects, otherwise please neglect this
      message.)

      Sorry for not providing you this command, as I seldom use SQL and only for
      minor issues, but I am sure that somebody else can ellaborate on this or you
      can look either in the manual or in the files section of the group, where
      there is a sort of manual to this specific respect.

      And please note that, in DVX jargon, TMs are called MDBs.

      Jorge
    • Alessandra Muzzi
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 9:10 AM
        Here are a few handy SQL statements for MDB maintenance. Run them at
        your own risk! Better use a copy of your databases, or backup them first.

        Delete all source sentences which are orphans (source sentences without
        target translations):
        DELETE FROM Sentences WHERE ID IN (SELECT ID FROM Sentences GROUP BY ID
        HAVING Count(ID) = 1)

        Delete all target translations which are orphans (target translations
        without source sentences):
        DELETE FROM Translations WHERE ID IN (SELECT ID FROM Sentences GROUP BY
        ID HAVING Count(ID) = 1)

        Delete all records where US English sentence is equal to standard
        Italian sentence (run first statement #1 and then statement #2 – check
        language codes in the Online Help for other languages):
        1) DELETE FROM Translations WHERE ID IN (SELECT S1.ID FROM Sentences AS
        S1 INNER JOIN Sentences AS S2 ON S1.ID = S2.ID WHERE S1.Sentence =
        S2.Sentence AND S1.Lang=9 AND S1.SubLang = 1 AND S2.Lang = 16 AND
        S2.SubLang = 1)
        2) DELETE FROM Sentences WHERE ID IN (SELECT S1.ID FROM Sentences AS S1
        INNER JOIN Sentences AS S2 ON S1.ID = S2.ID WHERE S1.Sentence =
        S2.Sentence AND S1.Lang=9 AND S1.SubLang = 1 AND S2.Lang = 16 AND
        S2.SubLang = 1)

        Delete all records where sentences do not contain at least 2 consecutive
        letters:
        1) DELETE FROM Translations WHERE ID IN (SELECT ID FROM Sentences WHERE
        Sentence NOT LIKE '*[a-z][a-z]*')
        2) DELETE FROM Sentences WHERE ID IN (SELECT ID FROM Sentences WHERE
        Sentence NOT LIKE '*[a-z][a-z]*')

        HTH,

        Alessandra

        On 28/04/2012 15.21, gennady.lapardin wrote:
        > Thank you Jorge,
        >
        > unfortunately I experience insurmountable difficulty in writing new SQL statements.
        > As for the rest, I confirm that the problem is non-translated (empty) and/or populated with the same language (the same text) cells on the target side.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Gennady
        > ========================
        > Relocated from: Client not happy I used Google Translate
        > Posted by: "Jorge Gorín" jorge.gorin@... jorgegorin
        > Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 am (PDT)
        >
        > Hello Gennady:
        >
        > Just to try to provide you with an answer, and if I understand you correctly
        > and you want to remove entries where the target is empty or alternatively
        > the target text is identical to the source text, you could try to execute an
        > SQL command to that effect. (I understand that SQL commands can also be
        > executed in TMs, not only in projects, otherwise please neglect this
        > message.)
        >
        > Sorry for not providing you this command, as I seldom use SQL and only for
        > minor issues, but I am sure that somebody else can ellaborate on this or you
        > can look either in the manual or in the files section of the group, where
        > there is a sort of manual to this specific respect.
        >
        > And please note that, in DVX jargon, TMs are called MDBs.
        >
        > Jorge

      • gennady.lapardin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29 1:28 PM
          Thank you, Alessandra,
          already resolved the problem, which turned out to be not in cleaning but in sending to TM. In the 'Send Project to TM' menu I did finally notice 'MT segments' flag, exactly what I wanted.
          Your comments about SQL were interesting, I'll try to apply them to the extent my abilities allow.
          Best,
          Gennady