RE: [dejavu-l] Google translate again

  • Daniel Benito
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28 5:47 AM

      I’ve said this before, but I certainly don’t mind saying it again: YOUR TRANSLATIONS ARE NEVER SENT BACK TO GOOGLE.

      Daniel Benito

      CTO

      Cólquide 6

      Edificio Prisma, Portal 1, Planta 1

      Las Rozas, Madrid 28231

      Spain

      Tel.: +34 91 146 1660

      Fax: +34 91 146 1661

      dbenito@...

      www.atril.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28 7:05 AM
        Google Translate should not be confused with Google's Translator Toolkit, which gives you the option to send your own translation as a voluntary contribution to the general corpus.

        Bruno

        --
        Bruno Sterckeman
        418 856-1560

          I was always under the convinction that if I use GT for a sentence in DVX2, then I edit the sentence, the only place the edited sentence ends up is my own TM. That is the use of GT in DVX2 should be like a one way street. Is this so? Could someone from Atril confirm? I would hate to see my edited sentence being sent to GT.

          Regards,

          Janos

          Janos Fazakas (Ph.D. in Chemistry)

          Translations/Interpreting (Hungarian-Romanian-English-French)

          transy49@...   j.fazakas@...  j.fazakas@...

          http://www.proz.com/profile/3963

          Mobile phone: +36-70-3197289; Skype: fazajani1949

          --
           Roy Oestensen
          Sleiverudaasen 2

        • Michelle Asselin

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28 12:03 PM
              Daniel,

              I'm certain you're correct.

              But I also have other reasons to believe that Google doesn't keep any record of the translations requested by its users.

              The first is: What good would it do? If a user submits a translation query, the source text is either an exact match for something that Google already knows, or GT will use its massive corpora and its own algorithms and processes to produce a translation.

              Unless a user provides feedback ("Contribute a better translation"or via the Google Translate Toolkit) how can Google possibly learn that there is a better version than what GT already provided?

              And even if the user provides such feedback, what guarantee does GT have the translation -- either as provided by GT or as amended by the user -- is actually an improvement? What does GT know about the qualifications of the "contributors"?

              It would seem that GT could use its employees' time much more effectively by continuing to seek, examine, and add high-quality sets of documents and their translations to its body of knowledge. These have already been vetted, either by the contributing organizations (UN, WHO, companies, etc.) or by Google's own in-house editors. Also, they can be obtained at much higher rates of speed (hundreds of thousands of words per month) than what any individual contributors (with unknown qualifications) could possibly provide.

              Now, there is a separate issue: Companies are entitled to know that translators are not sending sentences like these anywhere from their personal computers, whether it is to Google or anyone else:

              "Company ABC will make an offer to buy the DEF Division of the GHI Company for XX million euros."

              "The super-secret formula for Xtra-bouncy material, that company NNN uses on the bottoms of its prestigious athletic shoes, contains the following ingredients:"

              But that must be considered by each translator, and is not the role of toolmakers such as Atril.

              Steven