Re: [dejavu-l] Re: to speed up DVX2...get more RAM...and a new computer

  • Herbert Eppel
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 25 9:34 AM

      Herbert

      On 25.04.2012 17:30 UK Time, Jenny Zonneveld wrote:
      Re: [dejavu-l] Re: to speed up DVX2...get more RAM...and a new computer Hello Herbert,

      not to forget, the DeepMiner engine is at the heart of AutoWrite - it still turns up gems for me!

      Kind regards,
      Jenny

      Using:  DVX2 Build 533 WG, working in the grid
                  Office 2010 (NL)
                  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit  (ENG)

      Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 6:27:01 PM, dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Hi Jenny

      Thanks for your feedback, based on which I have just enabled DeepMiner for fuzzy match repairs. It will be interesting to see what effect it has.

      Herbert

      On 25.04.2012 17:22 UK Time, Jenny Zonneveld wrote:
      Hello Herbert,

      I only use DeepMiner for fuzzy match repairs - anything else makes it way too slow for my liking.

      Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 5:09:11 PM, dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      HE> On 25.04.2012 16:04 UK Time, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
      >> On 2012-04-25 15:51, Herbert Eppel wrote:
      >>> FWIW, it wasn't me who recommended disabling Fuzzy Terminology and
      >>> DeepMiner.
      >>>
      >>> As for Fuzzy Terminology, mileage varies. I use it and wouldn't want to
      >>> be without it, but others find it less useful (depends on language
      >>> combination and other factors, I suppose).
      >>>
      >>> I have DeepMinder turned off, but AutoWrite (which I understand is based
      >>> on DeepMiner) works anyway and is indeed very useful.
      >>
      >> I find it worth mentioning that there are two places where you can make
      >> DeepMiner settings in Tools> Â General, under For Fuzzy Match Repairs and
      >> under Assemble, For Portions Not Found in Databases.

      HE> Thanks for pointing this out.

      HE> Which option (if any) do you use?

      HE> Herbert

      HE> ------------------------------------

    • Gudmund Areskoug
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 25 1:24 PM
        On 2012-04-25 22:08, classytranslator wrote:
        > SSD? Go ahead, makes us envious, won't you? :))

        Sure, ready to oblige! ;)

        Seriously, since you don't really need a huge = prohibitively expensive
        one to do this, it is within reach for most of us.

        Just do the numbers on what needs to be (or what you just want to be) on
        that particular disk:

        Need:
        - DV
        - The *current* project files
        - The MDBs and TDBs you *currently* use.

        Want:
        - Reference material you want to be able to get *fast* search results from
        - The OS
        - Certain key applications you don't want to wait for to start
        - Any data you want quick access and load-to-RAM for.

        If you restrict things to what you *currently* need, you can actually
        get very low in the space requirements.

        It can also foster some nice file and backup discipline, since you would
        want to back things up from the SSD. Because *If* (when) they fail,
        chances for data recovery are slim.

        And then there's the even faster RAM-disk alternative, that may be
        perceived as, well more volatile ;)

        BR,
        Gudmund
        --
        This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se
        Please direct any complaints about this to them.