Re: [dejavu-l] DVX can't import Word 2003 files through Word 2010 correctly

  • Wolfgang Jörissen
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 23 6:14 PM
      The standard solution: save it as RTF, that's all what DVX2 causes Word
      to do.
      HTH
      Wolfgang

      Am 23.04.2012 18:58, schrieb hello307:
      > Hello everyone!
      >
      > I installed Office 2010 a few weeks ago. Most of the time it worked. Now I find that DVX can't import some files correctly (all of them happened to be created with older versions of Word). Either they can't be imported, or they seem to be imported but can't be exported. The imported texts have many unnatural delimiters (e.g. after every capitalized "G" or just in the middle of a sentance).
      > I switched back to Word 2003 and no problems at all.
      > After reading some old posts in the forum, I suppose these problems come from the incompatibility among Word 2010, Word 2003 (or maybe 2007 as well) and DVX.
      > Are theire any solutions in the mean time?
      >
      > Greetings,
      > Chaoliang
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • hello307
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 24 1:36 AM
        Hi Wolfgang,

        Thank you for your response. I had to save it as plain text for it to work. RTF failed as well.
        Best regards
        Chaoliang

        --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Wolfgang Jörissen <mediator@...> wrote:

        > The standard solution: save it as RTF, that's all what DVX2 causes Word
        > to do.
        > HTH
        > Wolfgang
        >
        > Am 23.04.2012 18:58, schrieb hello307:
        > > Hello everyone!
        > >
        > > I installed Office 2010 a few weeks ago. Most of the time it worked. Now I find that DVX can't import some files correctly (all of them happened to be created with older versions of Word). Either they can't be imported, or they seem to be imported but can't be exported. The imported texts have many unnatural delimiters (e.g. after every capitalized "G" or just in the middle of a sentance).
        > > I switched back to Word 2003 and no problems at all.
        > > After reading some old posts in the forum, I suppose these problems come from the incompatibility among Word 2010, Word 2003 (or maybe 2007 as well) and DVX.
        > > Are theire any solutions in the mean time?
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > > Chaoliang
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------

      • Jenny Zonneveld
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 24 1:51 AM
          Re: [dejavu-l] DVX can't import Word 2003 files through Word 2010 correctly Hello Chaoliang,

          you don't mention which version of DVX you are using.
          If you are still on DVX1 then there are a number of issues with Office 2010 files on Windows 7. Upgrade to the latest build of DVX2 is highly recommended.

          Kind regards,
          Jenny

          Using:  DVX2 Build 533 WG, working in the grid
                      Office 2010 (NL)
                      Windows 7 Pro 64 bit  (ENG)

          Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 2:58:30 AM, dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          h> Hello everyone!

          h> I installed Office 2010 a few weeks ago. Most of the time it worked. Now I find that
          h> DVX can't import some files correctly (all of them happened to be created with older
          h> versions of Word). Either they can't be imported, or they seem to be imported but can't
          h> be exported. The imported texts have many unnatural delimiters (e.g. after every
          h> capitalized "G" or just in the middle of a sentance).
          h> I switched back to Word 2003 and no problems at all.
          h> After reading some old posts in the forum, I suppose these problems come from the
          h> incompatibility among Word 2010, Word 2003 (or maybe 2007 as well) and DVX.
          h> Are theire any solutions in the mean time?

          h> Greetings,
          h> Chaoliang

          h> ------------------------------------
        • hello307
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24 2:10 AM
            Hi Jenny,

            I'm still using 7.5.338 and XP. Almost everything worked fine until I installed Office 2010, because some client always sent me Office 2010 files. I also noticed that if I save doc format in docx format, importing that file into DVX can result in missing text segments.

            Kind regards,
            Chaoliang

            --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Jenny Zonneveld <jennyslists@...> wrote:

            > Hello Chaoliang,
            >
            > you don't mention which version of DVX you are using.
            > If you are still on DVX1 then there are a number of issues with Office 2010 files on Windows 7. Upgrade to the latest build of DVX2 is highly recommended.
            >
            > Kind regards,
            > Jenny
            >
            > Using: DVX2 Build 533 WG, working in the grid
            > Office 2010 (NL)
            > Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (ENG)
            >
            > Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 2:58:30 AM, dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > h> Hello everyone!
            >
            > h> I installed Office 2010 a few weeks ago. Most of the time it worked. Now I find that
            > h> DVX can't import some files correctly (all of them happened to be created with older
            > h> versions of Word). Either they can't be imported, or they seem to be imported but can't
            > h> be exported. The imported texts have many unnatural delimiters (e.g. after every
            > h> capitalized "G" or just in the middle of a sentance).
            > h> I switched back to Word 2003 and no problems at all.
            > h> After reading some old posts in the forum, I suppose these problems come from the
            > h> incompatibility among Word 2010, Word 2003 (or maybe 2007 as well) and DVX.
            > h> Are theire any solutions in the mean time?
            >
            > h> Greetings,
            > h> Chaoliang
            >

            > h> ------------------------------------

          • Jenny Zonneveld
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 24 2:14 AM
              Re: [dejavu-l] Re: DVX can't import Word 2003 files through Word 2010 correctly Hello Chaoliang,

              I understand the problem.
              The Office 2007/2010 import filters have been greatly improved in DVX2 - I recommend upgrading.

              Kind regards,
              Jenny

              Using:  DVX2 Build 533 WG, working in the grid
                          Office 2010 (NL)
                          Windows 7 Pro 64 bit  (ENG)

              Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 11:10:30 AM, dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              h> Hi Jenny,

              h> I'm still using 7.5.338 and XP. Almost everything worked fine until I installed Office
              h> 2010, because some client always sent me Office 2010 files. I also noticed that if I
              h> save doc format in docx format, importing that file into DVX can result in missing text segments.

              h> Kind regards,
              h> Chaoliang

              h> --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Jenny Zonneveld <jennyslists@...> wrote:

              >> Hello Chaoliang,
              >>
              >> you don't mention which version of DVX you are using.
              >> If you are still on DVX1 then there are a number of issues with Office 2010 files on Windows 7. Upgrade to the latest build of DVX2 is highly recommended.
              >>
              >> Kind regards,
              >> Jenny
              >>
              >> Using: Â DVX2 Build 533 WG, working in the grid
              >> Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Office 2010 (NL)
              >>   Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit  (ENG)
              >>
              >> Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 2:58:30 AM, dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              >> h> Hello everyone!
              >>
              >> h> I installed Office 2010 a few weeks ago. Most of the time it worked. Now I find that
              >> h> DVX can't import some files correctly (all of them happened to be created with older
              >> h> versions of Word). Either they can't be imported, or they seem to be imported but can't
              >> h> be exported. The imported texts have many unnatural delimiters (e.g. after every
              >> h> capitalized "G" or just in the middle of a sentance).
              >> h> I switched back to Word 2003 and no problems at all.
              >> h> After reading some old posts in the forum, I suppose these problems come from the
              >> h> incompatibility among Word 2010, Word 2003 (or maybe 2007 as well) and DVX.
              >> h> Are theire any solutions in the mean time?
              >>
              >> h> Greetings,
              >> h> Chaoliang
              >>

              >> h> ------------------------------------

              h> ------------------------------------
            • hello307
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 24 2:45 AM
                Hi Jenny,

                Thank you for your clear answer. Now I know at least where the problem comes from.

              • Gudmund Areskoug
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 24 3:09 AM
                  On 2012-04-24 11:10, hello307 wrote:
                  > I'm still using 7.5.338 and XP. Almost everything worked fine until I
                  > installed Office 2010, because some client always sent me Office 2010
                  > files. I also noticed that if I save doc format in docx format,
                  > importing that file into DVX can result in missing text segments.

                  FWIW, I have both the old Word 2003 and Word 2007 installed, and haven't
                  had any problems with the old DVX1 using Word 2003 for importing .doc files.

                  Depending on your license situation, you might consider having both
                  installed in parallel.

                  There is advice to be found on how to make them coexist optimally (i.e.
                  not just taking turns in being "the standard" MS Word application and
                  running new "installations" each time you start the other version after
                  having run the first).

                  BR,
                  Gudmund
                  --
                  This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se
                  Please direct any complaints about this to them.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 24 3:22 AM
                    Hi, Gudmund!

                    How I can tell DVX 1 to import from Word 2003 or 2010? Or does it do it choose automatically the right version in backgroud? If I have one doc file and one docx file, how can I tell which version of word did DVX 1 use for importing/exporting?
                    Sorry for so many questions at one time. I searched last night for tipps about paralle installations. It seems to be no bis issue. But I'm not sure how DVX 1 will behave in this environment. GG said in the last used version of Office will be used by DVX. That could make everything even more complicated...

                    Regards,
                    Chaoliang

                    --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Gudmund Areskoug <gudmundpublic@...> wrote:

                    > On 2012-04-24 11:10, hello307 wrote:
                    > > I'm still using 7.5.338 and XP. Almost everything worked fine until I
                    > > installed Office 2010, because some client always sent me Office 2010
                    > > files. I also noticed that if I save doc format in docx format,
                    > > importing that file into DVX can result in missing text segments.
                    >
                    > FWIW, I have both the old Word 2003 and Word 2007 installed, and haven't
                    > had any problems with the old DVX1 using Word 2003 for importing .doc files.
                    >
                    > Depending on your license situation, you might consider having both
                    > installed in parallel.
                    >
                    > There is advice to be found on how to make them coexist optimally (i.e.
                    > not just taking turns in being "the standard" MS Word application and
                    > running new "installations" each time you start the other version after
                    > having run the first).
                    >
                    > BR,
                    > Gudmund
                    > --
                    > This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se
                    > Please direct any complaints about this to them.

                  • Lorenzo Martinelli *
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 24 3:34 AM
                      You can't

                      DVX will use the version registered by Windows.

                      On 24/04/2012 11:22, hello307 wrote:
                      > Hi, Gudmund!
                      >
                      > How I can tell DVX 1 to import from Word 2003 or 2010? Or does it do it choose automatically the right version in backgroud? If I have one doc file and one docx file, how can I tell which version of word did DVX 1 use for importing/exporting?
                      > Sorry for so many questions at one time. I searched last night for tipps about paralle installations. It seems to be no bis issue. But I'm not sure how DVX 1 will behave in this environment. GG said in the last used version of Office will be used by DVX. That could make everything even more complicated...
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Chaoliang
                      >
                      > --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Gudmund Areskoug<gudmundpublic@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> On 2012-04-24 11:10, hello307 wrote:
                      >>> I'm still using 7.5.338 and XP. Almost everything worked fine until I
                      >>> installed Office 2010, because some client always sent me Office 2010
                      >>> files. I also noticed that if I save doc format in docx format,
                      >>> importing that file into DVX can result in missing text segments.
                      >>
                      >> FWIW, I have both the old Word 2003 and Word 2007 installed, and haven't
                      >> had any problems with the old DVX1 using Word 2003 for importing .doc files.
                      >>
                      >> Depending on your license situation, you might consider having both
                      >> installed in parallel.
                      >>
                      >> There is advice to be found on how to make them coexist optimally (i.e.
                      >> not just taking turns in being "the standard" MS Word application and
                      >> running new "installations" each time you start the other version after
                      >> having run the first).
                      >>
                      >> BR,
                      >> Gudmund
                      >> --
                      >> This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se
                      >> Please direct any complaints about this to them.
                      >>

                      > ------------------------------------

                      Lorenzo Martinelli, MITIA
                      Italian Translations -- Words you can rely on
                      http://www.italianwords.co.uk -- http://www.martinelli.co.uk
                    • hello307
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 24 4:00 AM
                        Thanks Lorenzo. So if I understand it correctly, the best choice before upgrading to DVX 2 is to stick with Office 2003.
                        Chaoliang

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 24 7:00 AM
                          On 2012-04-24 12:22, hello307 wrote:
                          > How I can tell DVX 1 to import from Word 2003 or 2010? Or does it do
                          > it choose automatically the right version in backgroud?

                          I can't remember for sure, but in my case, I think it stems from never
                          having uninstalled 2003.

                          > If I have one
                          > doc file and one docx file, how can I tell which version of word did
                          > DVX 1 use for importing/exporting?

                          I'm not quite sure, but what Windows considers to be the standard
                          application for the format is at least one thing (having the .doc
                          extension point to Word 2003 and the .docx to Word 2010).

                          Without the fix (which I have yet to perform), Windows can't see a
                          difference, because each Word versions seems to present itself as "the"
                          Microsoft Word.

                          With the fix, AFAIR, Windows "knows" there's a difference.

                          > Sorry for so many questions at one
                          > time. I searched last night for tipps about paralle installations. It
                          > seems to be no bis issue. But I'm not sure how DVX 1 will behave in
                          > this environment. GG said in the last used version of Office will be
                          > used by DVX. That could make everything even more complicated...

                          This may be so for now if you run them in parallel (I thought I had
                          checked which path is used somewhere, but I can't find anything now, so
                          I'm not so sure anymore), but it shouldn't be the case after performing
                          the fix.

                          Will try to find it.

                          Found this in my archives:
                          <http://confessionsofatechguru.blogspot.se/2007/10/dual-install-of-microsoft-office-2003.html>

                          <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/en-gb>

                          Apart from this, I found solutions involving simply renaming the
                          winword.exe to something including the version name. I have a feeling it
                          isn't enough for DV and other things in the long run to do *just* that.

                          BR,
                          Gudmund
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 24 7:07 AM
                            Re: [dejavu-l] Re: DVX can't import Word 2003 files through Word 2010 correctly I do remember that at one point Atril recommended I removed my parallel installation of Word 2003. I've had fewer problems since then.

                            Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 4:00:45 PM, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
                            GA> On 2012-04-24 12:22, hello307 wrote:
                            >> How I can tell DVX 1 to import from Word 2003 or 2010? Or does it do
                            >> it choose automatically the right version in backgroud?

                            GA> I can't remember for sure, but in my case, I think it stems from never
                            GA> having uninstalled 2003.

                            >> If I have one
                            >> doc file and one docx file, how can I tell which version of word did
                            >> DVX 1 use for importing/exporting?

                            GA> I'm not quite sure, but what Windows considers to be the standard
                            GA> application for the format is at least one thing (having the .doc
                            GA> extension point to Word 2003 and the .docx to Word 2010).

                            GA> Without the fix (which I have yet to perform), Windows can't see a
                            GA> difference, because each Word versions seems to present itself as "the"
                            GA> Microsoft Word.

                            GA> With the fix, AFAIR, Windows "knows" there's a difference.

                            >> Sorry for so many questions at one
                            >> time. I searched last night for tipps about paralle installations. It
                            >> seems to be no bis issue. But I'm not sure how DVX 1 will behave in
                            >> this environment. GG said in the last used version of Office will be
                            >> used by DVX. That could make everything even more complicated...

                            GA> This may be so for now if you run them in parallel (I thought I had
                            GA> checked which path is used somewhere, but I can't find anything now, so
                            GA> I'm not so sure anymore), but it shouldn't be the case after performing
                            GA> the fix.

                            GA> Will try to find it.

                            GA> Found this in my archives:
                            GA> <http://confessionsofatechguru.blogspot.se/2007/10/dual-install-of-microsoft-office-2003.html>

                            GA> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/en-gb>

                            GA> Apart from this, I found solutions involving simply renaming the
                            GA> winword.exe to something including the version name. I have a feeling it
                            GA> isn't enough for DV and other things in the long run to do *just* that.

                            GA> BR,
                            GA> Gudmund
                            GA> --
                            GA> This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se.
                            GA> Please direct any complaints about this to them.

                            GA> ------------------------------------
                          • hello307
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 24 1:28 PM
                              Hi Lorenzo!

                              Just a wild thought: What if I first open the desired version of Word and let it run in background and then start DVX? Will it import from and export to the right Word?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 24 1:32 PM
                                Re: [dejavu-l] Re: DVX can't import Word 2003 files through Word 2010 correctly Just open your document in the desired version of word - make sure it's running properly, then close it.

                                Kind regards,
                                Jenny

                                Using:  DVX2 Build 533 WG, working in the grid
                                            Office 2010 (NL)
                                            Windows 7 Pro 64 bit  (ENG)

                                Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 10:28:16 PM, dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                                h> Hi Lorenzo!

                                h> Just a wild thought: What if I first open the desired version of Word and let it run
                                h> in background and then start DVX? Will it import from and export to the right Word?

                                h> Chaoliang

                                h> --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Lorenzo Martinelli * <lnzlists@...> wrote:

                                >> You can't
                                >>
                                >> DVX will use the version registered by Windows.

                                >> On 24/04/2012 11:22, hello307 wrote:
                                >> > Hi, Gudmund!
                                >> >
                                >> > How I can tell DVX 1 to import from Word 2003 or 2010? Or does it do it choose automatically the right version in backgroud? If I have one doc file and one docx file, how can I tell which version of word did DVX 1 use for importing/exporting?
                                >> > Sorry for so many questions at one time. I searched last night for tipps about paralle installations. It seems to be no bis issue. But I'm not sure how DVX 1 will behave in this environment. GG said in the last used version of Office will be used by DVX. That could make everything even more complicated...
                                >> >
                                >> > Regards,
                                >> > Chaoliang

                                >> > ------------------------------------
                                >> >

                                >> --
                                >> Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Lorenzo Martinelli, MITIA
                                >> Â  Â  Â  Â  Italian Translations -- Words you can rely on
                                >> Â  http://www.italianwords.co.uk -- http://www.martinelli.co.uk

                              • hello307
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 24 1:44 PM
                                  Hi Gudmund!

                                  Thank you for the links, especially the Microsoft one. I'll try it when I have some time. I'm really curious.
                                  Cheers,