Re: to speed up DVX2

  • classytranslator
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 23 7:13 AM
      Hennie,

      What is your machine configuration? There are other factors to consider when DVX2 slows down a bit, among them:

      Insufficient RAM memory
      VIrus activity
      Other memory-intensive applications running in the background.
      Size of TM

      Regards,

      Mario Chávez, Spanish translator
      64-bit Win 7 Pro, 8 GB RAM, DVX2 8.0.533

      --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Hennie Duits <he.duits@...> wrote:

      > I'd like to have DVX2 as lean (and *quick*) as possible, because now,
      > assembling frequently takes 3 - 5 -seconds per segment (and more with
      > longer segments), and since my present job is about 40K segments this
      > could save some time).
      > For the time being/this job, I'm back to DV3 - assembling
      > *instantanious* ;-).
      > With an average of 4 waiting seconds per segment, DV3 saves me roughly a
      > week of plain waiting.
      >
      > Hennie
      >
      > Op 23-4-2012 0:34, alfredochicote schreef:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > If you mean the AutoWrite function, there are two ways:
      > >
      > > 1) In Tools> Options> Environment Tab> uncheck AutoWrite
      > >
      > > 2) At the bottom of the grid on the rightish side next to the location numbers there are five small icons. The first one on the left allows you to switch AutoWrite on and off.
      > >
      > > Why would you want to turn it off?
      > >
      > > Regds,
      > > Alfredo
      > >
      > > --- In dejavu-l@yahoogroups.com, Hennie Duits<he.duits@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Is it possible to switch off the pop-up's suggesting word translations?
      > >> If so, where?
      > >>
      > >> Hennie
      > >>

      > > ------------------------------------

    • Gudmund Areskoug
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 25 1:24 PM
        On 2012-04-25 22:08, classytranslator wrote:
        > SSD? Go ahead, makes us envious, won't you? :))

        Sure, ready to oblige! ;)

        Seriously, since you don't really need a huge = prohibitively expensive
        one to do this, it is within reach for most of us.

        Just do the numbers on what needs to be (or what you just want to be) on
        that particular disk:

        Need:
        - DV
        - The *current* project files
        - The MDBs and TDBs you *currently* use.

        Want:
        - Reference material you want to be able to get *fast* search results from
        - The OS
        - Certain key applications you don't want to wait for to start
        - Any data you want quick access and load-to-RAM for.

        If you restrict things to what you *currently* need, you can actually
        get very low in the space requirements.

        It can also foster some nice file and backup discipline, since you would
        want to back things up from the SSD. Because *If* (when) they fail,
        chances for data recovery are slim.

        And then there's the even faster RAM-disk alternative, that may be
        perceived as, well more volatile ;)

        BR,
        Gudmund
        --
        This message and any replies to it is scanned by http://www.fra.se
        Please direct any complaints about this to them.