™ export to Trados

  • Harry Spruit
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20 7:50 AM
      If you export a ™ to Trados with the selection Trados WB Database shouldn't the codes, or Tags as called in Trados, also be exported. In my case I got only clean text in my export. That is certainly not what I want. Is there a way to have those codes also exported?

      Harry Spruit
    • Hector D Calabia
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22 8:41 AM
        On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Harry Spruit <techtrans@...> wrote:
        If you export a ™ to Trados with the selection Trados WB Database shouldn't the codes, or Tags as called in Trados, also be exported. In my case I got only clean text in my export. That is certainly not what I want. Is there a way to have those codes also exported?

        I may be wrong, but I think that a export of DV codes would be rather useless. Trados and DV have very different ways of handling codes. Trados' tags are “full”, that is, they carry true formatting information (font and spacing changes, etc.). DV codes, on the contrary, are stored in memory just as placeholders, with no real content. When they are recalled from memory, DV “fills them up” with new information from the file that is being translated. Trados, instead, reuses the information from the old code (if it is identical). So, Trados has to compare its stored tags with the new file tags, in order to insert the proper content. DV does without that comparison, and it just “remembers” that there should be some formatting inserted at this position. So, as Trados does not use mere placeholders in its memories, exporting them to a Trados memory would not be useful, and that it why they are not exported.

        Regards,

        Hector C.
      • Harry Spruit
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22 10:36 AM
          OK, thanks Hector. I didn't know there was such a differences in handling codes. I thought there was much more behind the numbers in curly brackets in DVX, like there actually is in Trados. Then I have to do a lot of copying and pasting in TagEditor, I'm afraid.

          Harry Spruit

          Op 22 apr. 2012, om 17:41 heeft Hector D Calabia het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22 12:45 PM
            On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Harry Spruit <techtrans@...> wrote:

            OK, thanks Hector. I didn't know there was such a differences in handling codes. I thought there was much more behind the numbers in curly brackets in DVX, like there actually is in Trados. Then I have to do a lot of copying and pasting in TagEditor, I'm afraid

            Well, DVX handles TagEditor files quite well. To have a complete Trados-friendly workflow you should do this:

            1. Segment the original file using TagEditor (using any Trados memory you need), including "empty segments" (segments with no memory).

            2. Import the bilingual ttx file into DVX.

            3. Translate in DVX.

            4. Export the translation to TTX.

            5. Open the file in TagEditor and clean it there, updating the Trados memory.

            Quite simple, and no copy and pasting of any codes is necessary.

            Best,

            Hector C.

          • Harry Spruit
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 23 2:02 AM
              I never thought if segmenting in TagEditor. I always used Workbench with the Translate option for it. I'm going to dee what it brings.

              Harry Spruit

              Op 22 apr. 2012, om 21:45 heeft Hector D Calabia het volgende geschreven: