Re: [dejavu-l] Unable to export

  • Roy Østensen
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 27, 2011
      I'm not sure what may be the cause, except you have Excel 2010, though DVX2 should be able to export the xls file.

      But I'd like to suggest the following.
      1) create a virgin memory database and export the project to it.
      2) Open the Excel file in Excel 2010 and save it as an xlsx file.
      3) import the xlsx file into DVX2, and pretranslate it from the virgin database.
      4) Check the pretranslated file (you should mostly have 100% hits throughout, but just in case ....)
      5) Export the file (xlsx)
      6) Open it in Excel 2010 and save it as a xls file.

      Somewhat roundabout, but at least you should be able to save the translation that way.

      Roy

      2011/6/27 michael1255733 <michael1255733@...>

      Hello,

      I have an Excel file with three tabs, but I only have to translate the first worksheet. I deleted the other two tabs and imported the Excel (.xls) file into DVX2. I have Windows 7 and Excel 2010.

      There were no codes in the text.

      I translated the text and then tried to export. I got a message that "Deja Vu X2 can't export the following files" and then the name of the file.

      I absolutely have not messed up any codes (there were none) and have not done anything out of the ordinary. I repaired the project (didn't help) and tried to export from DVX1 (didn't work).

      Thanks in advance for suggestions.

      --
      Roy Oestensen
      Sleiverudaasen 2
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 27, 2011
        Having been confronted with this same problem from time to time (and for TOTALLY unknown reasons), I have a couple of suggestions, although these are things best done BEFORE starting the translation, if at all possible.
        If you're working with a Word file, you can either save it as a RTF file or .docx and then import / do the translation.
        For an Excel file, you can save it as a .xlsx and then do the translation.
        If you have not done this BEFORE doing the translation, your only option may be to save your files in one of these other formats and then run the automatic translate function to put back in all of the sentences, but chances are the codes will be all screwed up.
        There is also another "procedure" that I do quite often, and ANY time it looks as though the file has some complex formatting or something like that.
        Namely: import the file, then select ALL of the text, press F5in order to copy EVERYTHING into the target side, AND THEN (without sending anything to the memory, obviously) export the file just to make sure that it works properly.
        If it doesn't export, then I consider changing its format (see above), or I'll make another copy of the file after removing all of the pictures and embedded things, which I then put back in after-the-fact.
        jp