Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] Re: (Campaign Log) Walker's Campaign VI: Crashing Deimos' Party

  • John Lorenzsonn
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- John Lorenzsonn <snowblindentropy@...>
      wrote:

      > --- David Marks <xcaliber19@...> wrote:
      > > I think Palmer and John basicly got my point.
      > > Empower adds +0.5. So a Maximised Empowered
      > Anything
      > > would do Max +0.5. See?
      > >
      > > John, that mutant is nasty. Splatter on any and
      > > everyone eh?
      > >
      > > ~david
      >
      > I got the idea for it while planning item creation
      > and
      > character advancement for Brad's game - it's
      > basically
      > an amalgamation of all the tricks used by the
      > super-powered characters in that particular
      > campaign.
      For what it's worth, the tricks and associated
      characters are:
      Big strength+incredible item - Silver Fist
      Instinctive Fighting - myself, James Douglas
      massive armor layering - Luther Angelica

      Silver Fist just hit super strength this past session
      due to a maxed, empowered Bull's Strength sending him
      from 18 to 24, the rest have been there since day one.

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
        > On 2 Dec 2002, at 18:43, John Lorenzsonn wrote:
        >
        > > The other problem: armor layering. It's way, way too
        > > easy to get a frickin' huge AC, as long as you don't
        > > care about ACP. For example:
        > > Spectra Bodysuit 3/1/1
        > > Concealable Ballistic Vest 3/2/4
        > > Leather Trenchcoat 2/1/1
        > > Armored Bracers 1/0/0
        > >
        > > That's with light armor only. Max dex is +4, due to
        > > the trenchcoat. Assuming MW items, the ACP is -4.
        > > Total AC provided? 9. With an 18 Dex, you're looking
        > > at AC 23. Add Mage Armor - free layer, no penalties -
        > > AC 27. For those who don't mind looking like a dork,
        > > add a helmet for AC 28. Add class AC bonus, which
        > > will be +1-+3 at 3rd level, you're looking at AC
        > > 29-31. Remove the layering, and light armor will
        > > provide, at best, 5 AC - bodysuit(or Concealable
        > > B-Vest)/helmet/bracers. Add 4 from Dex, 4 from Mage,
        > > 2 from class, and it's 25. Nuke Mage Armor's
        > > layering, and it's a 21.
        >
        > If you drop the leather trench for a jacket, max dex jumps to +6
        > (conc vest) and you lose just one point of AC.
        >
        > Now... the one other thing that looked abusable to me (and my first
        > test character had)
        >
        > Masterwork Rifle Plate Inserts and Resin Reinforcement Plates
        > (and you can throw MW Trauma Padding on top of it just for good
        > measure)
        >
        > 2 Resin plates and a Rifle plate equal DR/BDR 2/4, and since
        > those items are ACP -1, MW makes that zero.

        Hmm. Apparently I wasn't clear enough in the writing of the rules... another lesson of the past four months is *why* writing for the d20 system
        demands incredible precision, rather than simply decent precision. A character may only wear one set of resin reinforcement plates. It's plastic
        added to strategic points of the armor... adding it multiple times would be like coating the character in stiff plastic. Not exactly great for mobility.

        Not to self: Be clear about this in 1.1.

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
          On 3 Dec 2002, at 8:00, cryptosnark wrote:

          > > Masterwork Rifle Plate Inserts and Resin Reinforcement Plates
          > > (and you can throw MW Trauma Padding on top of it just for good
          > > measure)
          > >
          > > 2 Resin plates and a Rifle plate equal DR/BDR 2/4, and since
          > > those items are ACP -1, MW makes that zero.
          >
          > Hmm. Apparently I wasn't clear enough in the writing of the rules... another
          > lesson of the past four months is *why* writing for the d20 system demands
          > incredible precision, rather than simply decent precision. A character may only
          > wear one set of resin reinforcement plates. It's plastic added to strategic
          > points of the armor... adding it multiple times would be like coating the
          > character in stiff plastic. Not exactly great for mobility.
          >
          > Not to self: Be clear about this in 1.1.

          Er, except that the description of them explicitly states you're
          allowed two. p 266

          Resin Reinforcement Plates: These lightweight “bones” of
          plastic or carbon-fiber composite are strategically placed
          along the surface of a lightweight bodysuit to offer added
          protection to vital areas without hampering mobility too
          much. May be added (up to two times) to the following:
          Kevlar/Spectra Bodysuit, Leather Bodysuit, Nylon/Silk
          Bodysuit

          "May be added (up to two times) to the following"

          So, um, yeah.
          PDF says 2. Scott says 1. Palmer says "huh?"

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
            --- In deedsnotwordsd20@y..., "Palmer of the Turks" <palmeroftheturks@c...> wrote:
            > Er, except that the description of them explicitly states you're
            > allowed two. p 266

            D'OH! Justly am I undone by my own bad copy-editing! Urk.

            What you have to remember is that the PDF was composed by Scott-of-the-past, who was a well-meaning amateur, while your current rulings come
            from Scott-of-the-present, who is a lethal walking library of d20 precision. ;)

            In short, my bad. It should ideally be a one-application thing. One of a hundred little bits that should have been corrected but wasn't.

            Abashed,

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2002
              On 3 Dec 2002, at 8:29, cryptosnark wrote:

              > > Er, except that the description of them explicitly states you're
              > > allowed two. p 266
              >
              > D'OH! Justly am I undone by my own bad copy-editing! Urk.
              >
              > What you have to remember is that the PDF was composed by Scott-of-the-past, who
              > was a well-meaning amateur, while your current rulings come from
              > Scott-of-the-present, who is a lethal walking library of d20 precision. ;)
              >
              > In short, my bad. It should ideally be a one-application thing. One of a hundred
              > little bits that should have been corrected but wasn't.

              Hehehe. You realize I can keep this sort of nit-picky and number-
              crunchy stuff up indefinitely, yes?

              *revises character and drops one resin plate*