RE: [deedsnotwordsd20] DNW & D20 Modern

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
      On 30 Nov 2002, at 16:52, Wm. Eric Downton wrote:

      > First, I know about DNW Modern, but I can't see buying it for the
      > simple fact that I already own Modern and DNW.
      >
      > Second, just whether or not anyone feels that the adv. And reg. classes
      > would fit with DNW

      I like it the way it is, myself...

      Modern, you start out in an extremely basic and generic way, and
      develop into a specialized role.

      DNW classes, as they are now, are (mostly) less focussed than
      Adv. Classes... or are pretty specialized, but have very specific
      benefits (Mystic/Psion/Adept) which are kinda wanted and needed
      from the first moment if you want a decent level of development in
      the abilities it offers.

      10 levels of mystic isn't going to be that impressive, frankly.

      Besides... DNW is larger than life and heroic... I find having to start
      as a super basic character would really detract from that.

    • Jonathan M. Thompson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
        Which is the reason why even though Pulp Fantasy is a d20 Modern book we
        chose to use the standard format for basic classes.

        Jonathan M. Thompson
        President, Battlefield Press, Inc.(http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
        jthompson@...
        Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) - Available
        January 2003

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
          Ya know you could do it both ways. Both the advanced and basic calsses from
          d20 mod work in DNW.
          I like the basic classes in both. I have a Player that the Smart Hero works
          very well with his concept. There is not motch of a diffrence between DNW
          and D20 MOD. Mainly feats, skills, and equipment. The classes work, the
          powers for the most part, and the spells work. I woulden't mind buying a D20
          MOD DNW.

          Dartnet X

          On 30 Nov 2002, at 16:52, Wm. Eric Downton wrote:

          > First, I know about DNW Modern, but I can't see buying it for the
          > simple fact that I already own Modern and DNW.
          >
          > Second, just whether or not anyone feels that the adv. And reg. classes
          > would fit with DNW

          I like it the way it is, myself...

          Modern, you start out in an extremely basic and generic way, and
          develop into a specialized role.

          DNW classes, as they are now, are (mostly) less focussed than
          Adv. Classes... or are pretty specialized, but have very specific
          benefits (Mystic/Psion/Adept) which are kinda wanted and needed
          from the first moment if you want a decent level of development in
          the abilities it offers.

          10 levels of mystic isn't going to be that impressive, frankly.

          Besides... DNW is larger than life and heroic... I find having to start
          as a super basic character would really detract from that.

        • Wm. Eric Downton
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002

            Good points, I was just curious as to what people thought about it.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
              --- In deedsnotwordsd20@y..., "Wm. Eric Downton" <neurozombie@c...> wrote:
              > Good points, I was just curious as to what people thought about it.
              > > First, I know about DNW Modern, but I can't see buying it for the
              > > simple fact that I already own Modern and DNW.

              As you will, of course. My intention for DNW Modern is that it will be *absolutely* lock-step in fidelity with *d20 Modern,* a system plug-in rather
              than an innovation or a twist. My plan is to convert the existing DNW classes, villain claases, and 1 or 2 more into no fewer than 24 advanced
              classes for d20 modern. With all the system basics taken care of, DNW Modern will have lots of page space free for a smorgasbord of goodies--
              extra feats, a huge section on powers, etc.

              If DNW balances out pretty well with d20 modern, cool... but just keep in mind that DNW was at no time even remotely compared to d20 Modern
              during its design, so burps and discrepancies are sure to occur.

              Cheers!