RE: [deedsnotwordsd20] DNW & D20 Modern

  • Wm. Eric Downton
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2002

      First,  I know about DNW Modern, but I can’t see buying it for the simple fact that I already own Modern and DNW.

      Second, just whether or not anyone feels that the adv. And reg. classes would fit with DNW

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
        On 30 Nov 2002, at 16:52, Wm. Eric Downton wrote:

        > First, I know about DNW Modern, but I can't see buying it for the
        > simple fact that I already own Modern and DNW.
        >
        > Second, just whether or not anyone feels that the adv. And reg. classes
        > would fit with DNW

        I like it the way it is, myself...

        Modern, you start out in an extremely basic and generic way, and
        develop into a specialized role.

        DNW classes, as they are now, are (mostly) less focussed than
        Adv. Classes... or are pretty specialized, but have very specific
        benefits (Mystic/Psion/Adept) which are kinda wanted and needed
        from the first moment if you want a decent level of development in
        the abilities it offers.

        10 levels of mystic isn't going to be that impressive, frankly.

        Besides... DNW is larger than life and heroic... I find having to start
        as a super basic character would really detract from that.

      • Jonathan M. Thompson
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
          Which is the reason why even though Pulp Fantasy is a d20 Modern book we
          chose to use the standard format for basic classes.

          Jonathan M. Thompson
          President, Battlefield Press, Inc.(http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
          jthompson@...
          Corporate Supers (A Metahuman Sourcebook for Cityscape) - Available
          January 2003

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
            Ya know you could do it both ways. Both the advanced and basic calsses from
            d20 mod work in DNW.
            I like the basic classes in both. I have a Player that the Smart Hero works
            very well with his concept. There is not motch of a diffrence between DNW
            and D20 MOD. Mainly feats, skills, and equipment. The classes work, the
            powers for the most part, and the spells work. I woulden't mind buying a D20
            MOD DNW.

            Dartnet X

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002

              Good points, I was just curious as to what people thought about it.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2002
                --- In deedsnotwordsd20@y..., "Wm. Eric Downton" <neurozombie@c...> wrote:
                > Good points, I was just curious as to what people thought about it.
                > > First, I know about DNW Modern, but I can't see buying it for the
                > > simple fact that I already own Modern and DNW.

                As you will, of course. My intention for DNW Modern is that it will be *absolutely* lock-step in fidelity with *d20 Modern,* a system plug-in rather
                than an innovation or a twist. My plan is to convert the existing DNW classes, villain claases, and 1 or 2 more into no fewer than 24 advanced
                classes for d20 modern. With all the system basics taken care of, DNW Modern will have lots of page space free for a smorgasbord of goodies--
                extra feats, a huge section on powers, etc.

                If DNW balances out pretty well with d20 modern, cool... but just keep in mind that DNW was at no time even remotely compared to d20 Modern
                during its design, so burps and discrepancies are sure to occur.

                Cheers!