Re: Messages from Scott

  • cold_fuzion2001
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
      That's what you get for using a stable, user-friendly OS! Us windows
      people no how to handle a crash... it's a daily thing.

      --- In deedsnotwordsd20@y..., John Lorenzsonn <snowblindentropy@y...>
      wrote:
      > Just got off the phone w. Herr Lynch. He's got two
      > messages for y'all:
      >
      > 1)The iMac is screwed
      > Our fearless leader has been forced by the cruel hand
      > of fate to reinitialize his hard drive. Fear not,
      > citizens, he has backups of everything essential.
      >
      > 2)Consequences of #1
      > Fearless leader will be off the 'net for the next day
      > or two, and will post something to the list when he
      > has returned.
      >
      > Nothing more to say for now; it's late and I've got
      > class in 8 hours.
      >
      > Later.
      >
      > John Lorenzsonn

      > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      > http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • Cabal
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
        Agreed. Micr$haft Winblows might not be the best OS in town, but it is versitile!

        Palmer of the Turks wrote:
        On 6 Nov 2002, at 21:53, John Polack wrote:

        > ah both of you are truly demented as anyone knows that Linux is the
        > real power!
        >
        > :-) JP just stirring the pot!
        > have fun

        Depends on how you look at it... after all, Mac OSX is built on top
        of a BSD Unix core... so it shares a lot in common with Linux.

        For me, it's a ease-of-use issue. *waits for collective gasps*

        Yes... I choose Winblows over Mac for EASE OF USE. I'm not tied
        into whatever hardware scheme the apple eggheads dream up
        (Hello? iMac? Non-upgradeable system??? No floppy? Closed
        architecture AND only one OS option?????)

        I can customize windows *ignores linux hecklers*
        Yes, I know I can customize linux far more than just about
        anything... but I get back to that later...

        You can't do squat with a Mac unless Apple decides you should be
        allowed to. Hell, in OS 10.2, they added a hack that forcibly
        prevents any program from having any kind of custom option on a
        menu that Apple doesn't explicitly allow. WTF is up with that?

        Windows may not be customization-friendly, but there are tons of
        tools availiable that make doing most of it easy.

        And the true ease of use winner for Windows, in my opinion, is
        market share and saturation.
        There is a TON of software out there for Windows, which cover
        most everything you could possibly want or need. The software
        selection for a Mac is woefully limited, and competition for certain
        niches is virtually nil (C'mon... are there ANY Mac-based
        compression utilities BESIDES StuffIt? A friend needed one on her
        Mac, and I went searching... couldn't find squat else)

        I'm not tied to any one anything for what I want. I can drop MS for
        Linux any time. Mac users can't.
        I can get my hardware form any number of manufacturers, and mix
        and match as I please. Mac user's can't.

        I have freedom. :p
        [/evangelization]

      • Cabal
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
          cold_fuzion2001 wrote:

          > That's what you get for using a stable, user-friendly OS! Us windows
          > people no how to handle a crash... it's a daily thing

          HERE HERE!!!!!

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
            On 6 Nov 2002, at 23:02, Cabal wrote:

            > cold_fuzion2001 wrote:
            >
            > > That's what you get for using a stable, user-friendly OS! Us windows
            > > people no how to handle a crash... it's a daily thing
            >
            > HERE HERE!!!!!

            Actually... my Winblows is only starting to catch up... probably
            because I haven't scandisk'd or defragged in over 2 years... I finally
            started having crashes about a month ago... about one every
            couple of weeks.
            Before then it was once a year, tops.

            A well treated windows actually doesn't crash (but also doesn't do
            as much fun stuff)

            *misses his DOS*