Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] DNW Feats and DNW Powers

    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2004
      On 14 May 2004, at 0:17, Orion Ussner Kidder wrote:

      > i suppose this all does depend on the nature of the
      > 'ranged attack.' an arrow or a bullet shouldn't really
      > destroy scenery the same way, but the proto-typical
      > cyclopean 'optic blast' would qualify. we could
      > chicken out and just say "GM's discretion" (?).

      The question is... what would we be multiplying?
      Trash multiplies the pre-existing (and ALWAYS in effect) Strength mod.

      Ranged attacks have no such thing, unless you take Deadeye. And, well, Deadeye
      and Trashing seem kinda contrary. One is precision shooting. The other is anything
      but precise.

      And like I said, Cyclops Optic Blast is already plenty damaging to begin with.
      The writeup Scott did of him (before 1.1 was finalized, but I don't think it changed
      anything) had his Optic Blast set at 4d8+5 (minimum level, 1 PP) up to 8d8+5 (max
      level, 5 PP). And damage can be +1 from Point Blank Shot as well.

      The average/max on those is 23/37 for 4d8+5 and 41/69 for 8d8+5
      Incidentally, it's Crit 19-20 x4 - absolute max damage on a crit is 276.

      I really don't think Mr. Summers needs ANY help to trash a set with his optic blasts.

      And the base cost to get 8d8 ranged is only 24 EP anyways. That's the same cost as
      Str 26 + Trash (for +16 damage to sets, say 2d6 greatsword, makes average 23).

    • Orion Ussner Kidder
      Message 2 of 9 , May 14, 2004
        i see what you mean. the costs weigh in around the same. really, waht
        'trash the joint' does, is bring STR damage in line with Energy Attack
        damage, at least against objects.

        i'm convinced.

        Palmer of the Turks wrote:

        > On 14 May 2004, at 0:17, Orion Ussner Kidder wrote:
        >

        >>i suppose this all does depend on the nature of the
        >>'ranged attack.' an arrow or a bullet shouldn't really
        >>destroy scenery the same way, but the proto-typical
        >>cyclopean 'optic blast' would qualify. we could
        >>chicken out and just say "GM's discretion" (?).
        >

        > The question is... what would we be multiplying?
        > Trash multiplies the pre-existing (and ALWAYS in effect) Strength mod.
        >
        > Ranged attacks have no such thing, unless you take Deadeye. And, well, Deadeye
        > and Trashing seem kinda contrary. One is precision shooting. The other is anything
        > but precise.
        >
        > And like I said, Cyclops Optic Blast is already plenty damaging to begin with.
        > The writeup Scott did of him (before 1.1 was finalized, but I don't think it changed
        > anything) had his Optic Blast set at 4d8+5 (minimum level, 1 PP) up to 8d8+5 (max
        > level, 5 PP). And damage can be +1 from Point Blank Shot as well.
        >
        > The average/max on those is 23/37 for 4d8+5 and 41/69 for 8d8+5
        > Incidentally, it's Crit 19-20 x4 - absolute max damage on a crit is 276.
        >
        > I really don't think Mr. Summers needs ANY help to trash a set with his optic blasts.
        >
        > And the base cost to get 8d8 ranged is only 24 EP anyways. That's the same cost as
        > Str 26 + Trash (for +16 damage to sets, say 2d6 greatsword, makes average 23).

        -Orion Ussner Kidder
        Graduate Teaching Assistant
        Department of English
        University of Alberta

        "I can call it 'magic,' with all the nice feelings
        of wonderment that word inspires; or I can waste
        your time with half an hour of technobabble that
        you could never possibly understand a word of anyway.
        Which would you prefer?"
        -Doctor Who, VIII