New to DNW and need help

  • MarsAlpha
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25 7:20 PM
      I posted this earlier but I think it got ignored. I am trying to make
      a couple of characters up by modeling them from their stats from
      Classic Marvel Superheroes. How would I best translate them to DNW?
      Here they are.

      Character 1: Pretty simple. He is a mutant. He can create weapons out
      of thin air, things like guns, rifles and knives, complete with ammo.
      It wears him down and all but that is his big ability. What power in
      DNW would that be?

      Character 2: Also simple. He was a chemist who mixed the wrong things
      and now he is a cloud of super cold gas. His body is effectivly a
      cloud of ultra cold freon gas. He can simulate Phasing through any
      porous material. Also because he is a cloud of gass he has resistance
      vs. physical, cold but none vs. heat. Due to his gas body he cannot
      interact with objects without cold powers taking effect. His cold
      based powers are always on.

      Thanks
      Cris
    • Cabal
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25 8:48 PM
        I had not ignored it.  I had not clue :)

        Sorry!
        Cabal~

        MarsAlpha wrote:
[...]

      • Bill Olander
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26 12:21 AM
          Looks like an interesting late night challenge. I'm not going to run the
          full thing, just see what I can do to help you out with a little
          brain-storming.

          Character 1:
          Origin: Mutant
          Power: Call Weaponry... I went through the PDF and I think that for what you
          want, the best you're going to find is to take the Psionic Power(Spell) Call
          Weaponry and convert it into a Mutant power. For comparision, the Spell is a
          1st Level spell whose power points scale based on the weapon being summoned.
          Since DNW's PP cost per spell is equal to the level the cost would look like
          1=1, 3=2,5=3,7=4,9=5, etc. you'll have to see about comparing where fire
          arms fit on that chart. I'd say on the Exotic Weaponry line.
          Feat: Efficient Power

          Character 2:
          Origin: Mutant (Best origin even for scientific mistakes)
          Complications: Energy Vulnerability(Fire/Heat); Uncontrollable Power(Energy
          Attack);Visible Modifications
          Class: Rogue
          Powers: Energy Attack (Ice/Cold) I - V? , Resistance (Ice/Cold) I-IV?,
          Natural Armor(I think you can pulll off less being there to resist damage as
          mechanically similar to being harder to hit), energized form(Ice/Cold)?,
          Gaseious Form (I suggest that while the character may look like he is always
          in gaseous form due to 'visible modifications' above, this is not truely the
          case. Instead it only gets activated when attempting to phase through
          pourous matter.)

          > I posted this earlier but I think it got ignored. I am trying to make
          > a couple of characters up by modeling them from their stats from
          > Classic Marvel Superheroes. How would I best translate them to DNW?
          > Here they are.
          >
          > Character 1: Pretty simple. He is a mutant. He can create weapons out
          > of thin air, things like guns, rifles and knives, complete with ammo.
          > It wears him down and all but that is his big ability. What power in
          > DNW would that be?
          >
          > Character 2: Also simple. He was a chemist who mixed the wrong things
          > and now he is a cloud of super cold gas. His body is effectivly a
          > cloud of ultra cold freon gas. He can simulate Phasing through any
          > porous material. Also because he is a cloud of gass he has resistance
          > vs. physical, cold but none vs. heat. Due to his gas body he cannot
          > interact with objects without cold powers taking effect. His cold
          > based powers are always on.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Cris

        • MarsAlpha
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26 1:13 PM
            I have checked out the entire DNW book and all the d20 books I own
            and I cannot find Call Weaponry or any variation of that spell. Where
            can I find it? It was mentioned for summoning weapons from nothing
            for the mutant character I mentioned.
          • Bill Olander
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26 2:09 PM
              Sorry, I should have been more specific.

              Call weaponry is a Psionic Power from the D&D Psionics Handbook.

              Psionics handbook Psionics are very similar to spells. Difference is that
              there are no hand motions involved in the power. There is an audible noise
              from the power while it lasts.. thus all summoned weapons hum.

              The power is a teleportation effect so that rather than creating the weapon
              you summon it from somewhere else in the universe.

              Power Points for psionics cost 1 for first level powers and +2 for each
              additional level. Thus a 3rd level power will cost 1+2+2=5 Power Points.
              This is different from DNW where they cost 1PP/level.. the same 3rd level
              power costs 3PP.

              The chart in the book is:
              1 PP = Simple Weapon (Club/Crossbow)
              3 PP = Martial Weapon (Longsword/Longbow)
              7 PP = Exotic Weapon (Bastard Sword)
              11 PP = +1 enhancement (+1 shortbow)
              13 PP = +2 enhancement
              15 PP = +3 enhancement
              17 PP = +2 enhancement

              I would do
              1 D&D PP = 1 DNW PP
              3 D&D PP = 2 DNW PP
              7 D&D PP = 4 DNW PP
              11 D&D PP = 6 DNW PP
              13 D&D PP = 7 DNW PP
              15 D&D PP = 8 DNW PP
              17 D&D PP = 9 DNW PP

              There is a level requirement but I don't think its appropriate for DNW..
              instead maybe a craft(weaponry) requirement?