Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] D&D classes/DNW classes

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2004
      On 21 Mar 2004, at 18:16, Orion wrote:

      > something just occured to me... the way the classes are laid out, it seems
      > to me you could probably use D&D classes in DNW without too much trouble.
      >
      > origin takes care of EP. all you'd have to do is decide on an appropriate
      > power-point die, and possibly a level-based AC bonus, and you're good to go.
      >
      > not that it'd necessarily come up all that much, but it might be fun for
      > NPCs or even PCs who really *want* that anachronistic effect.
      >
      > thoughts? (i'm looking at you, palmer)

      Response - Yes, you could use standard D&D classes in DNW. It is d20 and the stats
      are fully compatible.

      But you'd be a nutcase to do so.
      Simple fact - the DNW classes are WAY higher powered than straight fantasy classes.

      For your erudition - Compare the progression of the Fighter class to the Vigilante class.

      D&D classes are what you give levels in for random SCA member NPCs - not
      characters.
      The ONLY advantage any D&D class could have over a DNW class is:

      #1: Wizards/Sorcerers can get to Lv 9 spells.

      That's IT.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2004
        i knew you'd have something to say, and it would involve numbers. thanks
        for your attention to detail.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2004
          On 22 Mar 2004, at 1:04, Orion wrote:

          > i knew you'd have something to say, and it would involve numbers.
          > thanks for your attention to detail.

          I'm a system design junkie, what can I say?

          The people over on the Thrash list have gotten used to me, seeing as how I reply to
          about 90% of all posts made there... currently we're group-storming a serious revision
          to the whole system - and of course I'm in the middle of it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 22, 2004
            thrash?

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 22, 2004
              On 22 Mar 2004, at 1:37, Orion wrote:

              > thrash?

              Free RPG that I've been playing or involved with for like, 8 years now?

              http://www.blackbird.nu/thrash/

              As you can see on that page, Blackbird has decided to move development of Thrash
              2.0 to a group project - and I'm the loudest of the bunch :)

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 22, 2004
                a friend of mine is currently quite sad that his gaming group is all out of
                town because he really wants to try BESM. how do you feel Thrash holds up
                next to it?

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 22, 2004
                  On 22 Mar 2004, at 1:55, Orion wrote:

                  > a friend of mine is currently quite sad that his gaming group
                  > is all out of town because he really wants to try BESM.
                  > how do you feel Thrash holds up next to it?

                  It doesn't... Thrash is meant to simulate fighting games (Street Fighter and King of
                  Fighters specifically, others secondary) first and foremost, and anime almost as an
                  afterthought - mainly because fighting games tend to be inherently anime.
                  The primary, secondary and tertiary focus of the game is one on one arena-style
                  combat - everything else is incidental, really.

                  There's actually very little in non-combat stuff in the game, there are major holes and
                  flaws in the system, and it's long overdue for a serious overhaul.
                  The system has been stalled at 1.8 for over 3 years now. 2.0 has been in development
                  for 2 years... and most of that work is going right out the window, since it suffers from
                  many of the same inherent flaws as it's predecessor.

                  And that's what we're working on hammering out.

                  Thrash is meant to fill a niche - the same one that the original Street Fighter: The
                  Storytelling Game kind of created.

                  As much as I'm attached to the game, and have a LOT of history with it, I can't
                  honestly recommend it, except as something to look at and learn from when it comes
                  to system design - both for it's good sides and it's bad sides.