Energy Attack

  • wikidogre
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
      Call it!

      if someone wants to use a energy attack touch/pure energy; Radiation/
      would you get to use the radiation rule presented in the bible for
      exposure?

      i need a call on this one.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
        On 2 Mar 2004, at 21:35, wikidogre wrote:

        > Call it!
        >
        > if someone wants to use a energy attack touch/pure energy; Radiation/
        > would you get to use the radiation rule presented in the bible for
        > exposure?
        >
        > i need a call on this one.

        My call - no
        I would rule that the radiation exposure rules are for continuous exposure to hard
        radiation, and an e-attack is anything but.
        I would say "Pure Energy/Radiation" as an energy type is perfectly appropriate - it
        deals it's damage through a brief but intense blast of radiation, it gets the standard +1
        damage bonus for being Pure Energy... and that's it.
        Besides, the description for Pure Energy at the start of the Powers chapter says it can
        be used for Ionizing Radiation explicitly... so stick with the rules for it as presented.

        Allowing the character to get extra, potentially nasty bonuses through a simple energy-
        type choice like that throws balance out.
        Besides, the chart calls for Time Increments that are much longer than a single
        attack... even with Deadly radiation, you still only have to roll once per round. Heavy is
        once per minute.

        Plus, you may want to point out that protective clothing would stop his attack cold.
        Villains who know about him would start adding thin lead linings to their armor or
        whatnot.

        Don't bend rules that don't need fixing.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
          in addition to what palmer said (lucid as always, palmer) i think that the
          idea of the system is that that if there's a power that's not doing
          something you want it to do, just create an add-on to the power.

          what kind of bonus damage are you looking for? can you create a sub-power
          that duplicates it? if you want extra bang, you gotta provide more buck.

          -orion

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
            Sweet, that is almost the exact thing i said to him.
            He is being a terd, hes new and can not grasp the fact that i am
            always right. :-)

            Besides it works smooth following the rules.

            thanks
            was curious what others thought

            now i have a second opinion, that is the same as mine.

            tata chaps

            thanks