flight mod

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2004
      it's kinda dead around here, so here's my random brain-teaser of the day:

      i want to make a character who can only fly when near solid objects (say,
      within 15'). the 'splanation is that he's actually using concentrated
      attraction/repulsion beams to float above, below, or near stuff that could
      support his weight anyway (ceiling beams, walls, trees, telephone poles,
      etc.).

      so, i'm thinking either flight at 1/2 cost, or surface adhesion at double
      cost. thoughts?

      -Orion
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2004
        palmer,

        never apologise for delays when you pull out this kind of stuff! looks great.

        the extra distance add-ons are a great idea. and, of course, it can be
        enhanced with Super Speed, just like anything else, so that's already covered.

        however, i am concerned that both fully kitted-up versions of the Surface
        Hover power are the same if not higher cost than decent a decent Flight
        package. why would anyone take this power if flight is cheaper?

        (personally, i've always felt Flight should be more expensive considering
        how damn useful it is, but that's a different matter.)

        i think initial cost of normal hovering should be lower. say, 2EP for the
        basic levitation ability, then 2EP for verticle, and 2EP for inverse
        (ceilings). adds up to 6EP, which is cheaper than a basic Flight package.

        At 01:49 PM 07/02/2004 -0800, you wrote:
        >On 6 Feb 2004, at 0:48, Orion wrote:
        >
        >Sorry for the delay, I was gaming last night and thus didn't have the time
        >to properly
        >give this. But now I do, and I have.
        >
        >I like this idea... I like it a lot.

        [snipped for space]

> [...]
        >meaning the
        >character will be standing horizontally. However, any objects that lose
        >contact with his
        >body (ie are dropped) will go straight down as normal. It takes one Move
        >Action to
        >change orientations from floor to wall, or vice versa.
        >
        >Enhancement: Inverse Hover
        >Prerequisite: Vertical Movement (I'm not sure if this should be, or if it
        >should be None)
        >Cost: 1 EP
        >The character's ability to "anchor" his hovering now extends to ceilings
        >and similar
        >overhead surfaces. He can now hover a distance below a ceiling (all
        >surfaces a
        >character hovers under will be referred to as ceilings) equal to his
        >normal hover height,
        >and move at his normal rate. Like Vertical Movement, the character's
        >personal gravity
        >is changed, so that he will be standing "upside down" to normal
        >perspectives, and
        >anything he drops will fall down as normal. If the character is knocked
        >down, or the
        >ceiling no longer supports him, he will fall straight down as normal.
        >Like Vertical Movement, it takes a Move Action to change orientations,
        >though the
        >character can change from down to up without having a wall nearby,
        >assuming the
        >ceiling is low enough. Note that the hovering distance is measured from a
        >character's
        >feet for purposes of determining if a surface is "close enough" for an
        >orientation change.
        >
        >----------------------
        >
        >So going with Surface Adhesion, with Fast Movement (standard) and 15 feet
        >of hover,
        >you get a cost of 10 EP.
        >
        >Using the stand alone power, going for all options (getting the equivalent
        >effect as the
        >above Surface Adhesion mod) costs 8 EP
        >
        >The main difference to the approaches is that the stand-alone power lets
        >you pick and
        >choose your orientation capabilities, as well as coming out cheaper. The
        >main cost
        >difference is 2 EP for Fast Movement on Surface Adhesion - otherwise
        >they're the
        >same.
        >
        >8 EP will get you Good Skill flight with 60ft movement, which IS better
        >than this... but
        >Flight is one of those Insanely Efficient powers that gives you a LOT of
        >bang for your
        >EP buck.
        >
        >I think I like this power as it stands. I'd allow it in any game I ran as
        >is (in either form,
        >adding both to the same game is just pointless)
        >I wait with Bated Breath to see what The Scott-meister makes of it.
        >

        >The above Enhancements and Powers are (C) Jayson Stevens, 2004, and are

        -Orion

        Weirdo, Doodler, Storyteller

        "We are all born as molecules in the heart of a billion stars; molecules
        that do not understand politics or policies or differences. Over a billion
        years, we foolish molecules forget who we are, and where we came from. In
        desperate acts of ego we give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps,
        and pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The candle flame
        reminds us of the piece of those stars that lives on inside us, the spark
        that tells us, 'you know better.'"
        -J. Michael Straczynski
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2004
          On 6 Feb 2004, at 0:48, Orion wrote:

          Sorry for the delay, I was gaming last night and thus didn't have the time to properly
          give this. But now I do, and I have.

          > i want to make a character who can only fly when near solid objects

          I like this idea... I like it a lot.

          > so, i'm thinking either flight at 1/2 cost, or surface
          > adhesion at double cost. thoughts?

          I have grander ideas for this than merely adding a mod to an existing power :p

          First off, I get the idea that this power isn't supposed to grant exceptional movement
          speed (which a flight mod could grant)

          Consider that Super Speed:
          Speed (feet) - EP
          x2 (60) - 4
          x3 (90) - 6
          x4 (120) - 8
          x5 (150) - 10
          x6 (180) - 12
          x7 (210) - 14
          x8 (240) - 18
          x9 (270) - 20
          x10 (300) - 22

          (Side note: SCOTT! Is there supposed to be no 16 EP step in Super Speed?)

          Now Flight (ignoring Skill for now) costs the exact same EP for movement rates up to
          120 (x4). And then it it gets more speed per EP after that point than Super Speed - at
          12 EP it's 1.5 times Speed, at 18 EP it's 2.5 times...

          Flight:
          Speed - EP
          60 - 4
          90 - 6
          120 - 8
          180 - 10
          240 - 12
          360 - 14
          480 - 16
          660 - 18
          800 - 20
          1000 - 22

          So making this power "Flight at Half Cost" would be an INSANE bargain compared to
          Super Speed in terms of movement rate - even if you factor in 1 EP for "Hover/Cling
          Skill" (since it would be less than Average Skill at 2 EP). You could get double speed
          AND better-than-Surface-Adhesion for 3 EP, which is less than Adhesion's base of 4
          (+2 EP for full speed vertical movement)

          So I think keeping speed out of it is the best start, and instead work on the ability to
          hover/cling itself.

          Sop 2 options present themselves here - Modify Surface Adhesion (through
          enhancements) or make a new Power.
          Since I'm a design geek, I'll do both. The major difference I'm planning in these
          approaches is that the stand-alone power will not have wall/ceiling clinging abilities by
          default, just hovering, and those abilities can be had separately.