Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] Re: Damage/Defense balance question

  • JarethValar
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2001
      Which is one of the major reasons I brought it up.  I've been working on this for my game, just haven't figured out the numbers yet.

      BTW, THANKS PALMER!  Numbers have been a problem this month, end of the year figures for the Hotel I run.  I have numbers oozing out of my pores right now.  :-)

      Glad I could help.

      Jareth
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
        >>>Lizard <lizard@m...> wrote:This also matches the comics -- when
        the Hulk punches Captain America, Cap is knocked back few hundred
        feet and is hurting -- but he isn't red mist. Comics are very
        unrealistic about the effects of super-strength; beings who can lift
        tanks rarely, if ever, kill with a single punch, even though they
        should.<<<

        This I think is a better example of using Hero Points I think then
        changing the system. Like I tell most people...DNW as is doesn't
        really need any changes. Super hero RPG's are very hard to do from
        the mechanics standpoint since there are tons of little things like
        that in comics that have to be delt with. I think Scott did a
        wonderful job on addressing things like that in DNW. But like I said
        that is more of using CPT America using Hero Points to prevent
        himself from becoming instant jello....patriot flavor.

        Cris Picado
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
          On 1 Feb 2004, at 12:56, marsalpha wrote:

          > But like I said that is more of using CPT America using
          > Hero Points to prevent himself from becoming instant
          > jello....patriot flavor.
          >
          > Cris Picado

          Still... taking 37 damage (half of one Lv 16 Bulkington punch) in a hit is nothing to
          sneeze at - and those Hero points can be damn hard to come by.

        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
            Just wondering where our prolific author/ game designer/ leader has been
            lurking.....
          • marsalpha
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
              >>>Palmer of the Turks: Still... taking 37 damage (half of one Lv 16
              Bulkington punch) in a hit is nothing to sneeze at - and those Hero
              points can be damn hard to come by.<<<

              I agree...then again I am a bit more generous with giving them out
              sometimes...then again most of my players forget that they have them.

              Question for anyone...the complication Nemesis/Villain. Where would
              you rate the following people for a first level character. The PC is
              TR 3 or 4 sword weilding, combat monster type. The PC is a villian
              turned quasi-hero. Think like "the Bride" from "Kill Bill". No
              longer doing crime for pay...but is out for revenge on the following
              people.

              Baron Azathoth (The PC's "Bill" character)
              Malice (2nd in command and often leader on missions while the Baron
              is at the Fortress)
              Bulkington (working for the Baron)
              Hellshade (for a lack of a better person that is also working for
              the Baron)

              Also instead of Hellshade who would be a better person. Any
              suggestions?
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
                On 2 Feb 2004, at 4:48, marsalpha wrote:

                > Bulkington punch) in a hit is nothing to sneeze at - and those Hero
                > points can be damn hard to come by.<<<
                >
                > I agree...then again I am a bit more generous with giving them out
                > sometimes...then again most of my players forget that they have them.

                Still, they can run out fast against someone like B.

                > Question for anyone...the complication Nemesis/Villain. Where would
                > you rate the following people for a first level character. The PC is
                > TR 3 or 4 sword weilding, combat monster type. The PC is a villian
                > turned quasi-hero. Think like "the Bride" from "Kill Bill". No
                > longer doing crime for pay...but is out for revenge on the following
                > people.

                Well, I've never seen the movie, know nothing about it really...

                > Baron Azathoth (The PC's "Bill" character)

                I can't see The Baron being worth less than 8 EP, if only because of the incredible
                power at his disposal - wealth, resources, flying interdimensional castle of doom,
                Endless Legions Of Identical Goons™, heavy weapons, gadget collection, zoo full of
                Betelgeusian Bandersnatch, etc, infinitum, ad nauseum.
                His personal 1-on-1 TR is mostly irrelevant IMO. If you can actually get TO him, he'll
                be a pushover no matter what level he is.

                Note that I only say 8 EP because that's how high the book goes.
                He's worth 10 or 12 EP in any game I run - or 24 EP total to be divided between 3+
                characters if they want to all take him as sort of a group Nemesis.

                > Malice (2nd in command and often leader on missions
                > while the Baron is at the Fortress)

                4 or 6 would fit the bill, IMO.
                Standard description for 4 EP is "directly comparable in power, takes frequent interest
                in bothering the character"
                6 EP is "more powerful and able, with significant resources"

                If you're just using her as is out of the book, at a comparable TR to the PC, then it's a
                4.
                If you factor in the resources she has to work with, thanks to the Baron, and suitably
                and logically upgrade her from stock with that in mind, she's a 6.

                > Bulkington (working for the Baron)

                Since the PC is a close-combat character, Bulkington is VERY dangerous to her.
                I'd call him a flat 6, when at equivalent TR ratings, or even one step down.

                > Hellshade (for a lack of a better person
                > that is also working for the Baron)

                I don't have LTSD - at least not until my CD arrives *cries*
                Unless The Scott sees fit to shoot a copy my way to tide me over till my CD does
                actually show up.

                > Also instead of Hellshade who would be a
                > better person. Any suggestions?

                *looks through BCBH roster*

                Evil mystics like Acheron would fit the bill for the Baron's flunkies. Or would Morgan
                Sharpe be more in line?

                *shrugs*