Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] Re: Damage/Defense balance question

  • JarethValar
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2001
      Which is one of the major reasons I brought it up.  I've been working on this for my game, just haven't figured out the numbers yet.

      BTW, THANKS PALMER!  Numbers have been a problem this month, end of the year figures for the Hotel I run.  I have numbers oozing out of my pores right now.  :-)

      Glad I could help.

      Jareth
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 31, 2004
        <palmer@s...> wrote:

        > The other idea I have is to make the Super Damage bonus a flat (or
        somewhat flat)
        > bonus on top of regular Strength damage... like +4 Super Damage per
        EP.

        > So Str 45 (+17) with 12 EP of Super Damage would do 17+48=65 Damage
        total.

        > Or make the bonus per EP grow... like +4 per EP for the first 4, +5
        for the next 4, +6
        > for the next 4... like so
        >
        > EP Bonus EP Bonus
        > 1 +4 8 +36
        > 2 +8 9 +42
        > 3 +12 10 +48
        > 4 +16 11 +54
        > 5 +21 12 +60
        > 6 +26 13 +67
        > 7 +31 14 +74

        This would not only work for super strong characters, but would also
        be a good way to simulate the super martial artists that pop up in
        the
        comics. The kind that have only "normal" strength, but know where
        and
        how to hit someone to do incredible damage.
      • marsalpha
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
          >>>Lizard <lizard@m...> wrote:This also matches the comics -- when
          the Hulk punches Captain America, Cap is knocked back few hundred
          feet and is hurting -- but he isn't red mist. Comics are very
          unrealistic about the effects of super-strength; beings who can lift
          tanks rarely, if ever, kill with a single punch, even though they
          should.<<<

          This I think is a better example of using Hero Points I think then
          changing the system. Like I tell most people...DNW as is doesn't
          really need any changes. Super hero RPG's are very hard to do from
          the mechanics standpoint since there are tons of little things like
          that in comics that have to be delt with. I think Scott did a
          wonderful job on addressing things like that in DNW. But like I said
          that is more of using CPT America using Hero Points to prevent
          himself from becoming instant jello....patriot flavor.

          Cris Picado
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
            On 1 Feb 2004, at 12:56, marsalpha wrote:

            > But like I said that is more of using CPT America using
            > Hero Points to prevent himself from becoming instant
            > jello....patriot flavor.
            >
            > Cris Picado

            Still... taking 37 damage (half of one Lv 16 Bulkington punch) in a hit is nothing to
            sneeze at - and those Hero points can be damn hard to come by.

          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
              Just wondering where our prolific author/ game designer/ leader has been
              lurking.....
            • marsalpha
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
                >>>Palmer of the Turks: Still... taking 37 damage (half of one Lv 16
                Bulkington punch) in a hit is nothing to sneeze at - and those Hero
                points can be damn hard to come by.<<<

                I agree...then again I am a bit more generous with giving them out
                sometimes...then again most of my players forget that they have them.

                Question for anyone...the complication Nemesis/Villain. Where would
                you rate the following people for a first level character. The PC is
                TR 3 or 4 sword weilding, combat monster type. The PC is a villian
                turned quasi-hero. Think like "the Bride" from "Kill Bill". No
                longer doing crime for pay...but is out for revenge on the following
                people.

                Baron Azathoth (The PC's "Bill" character)
                Malice (2nd in command and often leader on missions while the Baron
                is at the Fortress)
                Bulkington (working for the Baron)
                Hellshade (for a lack of a better person that is also working for
                the Baron)

                Also instead of Hellshade who would be a better person. Any
                suggestions?
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2004
                  On 2 Feb 2004, at 4:48, marsalpha wrote:

                  > Bulkington punch) in a hit is nothing to sneeze at - and those Hero
                  > points can be damn hard to come by.<<<
                  >
                  > I agree...then again I am a bit more generous with giving them out
                  > sometimes...then again most of my players forget that they have them.

                  Still, they can run out fast against someone like B.

                  > Question for anyone...the complication Nemesis/Villain. Where would
                  > you rate the following people for a first level character. The PC is
                  > TR 3 or 4 sword weilding, combat monster type. The PC is a villian
                  > turned quasi-hero. Think like "the Bride" from "Kill Bill". No
                  > longer doing crime for pay...but is out for revenge on the following
                  > people.

                  Well, I've never seen the movie, know nothing about it really...

                  > Baron Azathoth (The PC's "Bill" character)

                  I can't see The Baron being worth less than 8 EP, if only because of the incredible
                  power at his disposal - wealth, resources, flying interdimensional castle of doom,
                  Endless Legions Of Identical Goons™, heavy weapons, gadget collection, zoo full of
                  Betelgeusian Bandersnatch, etc, infinitum, ad nauseum.
                  His personal 1-on-1 TR is mostly irrelevant IMO. If you can actually get TO him, he'll
                  be a pushover no matter what level he is.

                  Note that I only say 8 EP because that's how high the book goes.
                  He's worth 10 or 12 EP in any game I run - or 24 EP total to be divided between 3+
                  characters if they want to all take him as sort of a group Nemesis.

                  > Malice (2nd in command and often leader on missions
                  > while the Baron is at the Fortress)

                  4 or 6 would fit the bill, IMO.
                  Standard description for 4 EP is "directly comparable in power, takes frequent interest
                  in bothering the character"
                  6 EP is "more powerful and able, with significant resources"

                  If you're just using her as is out of the book, at a comparable TR to the PC, then it's a
                  4.
                  If you factor in the resources she has to work with, thanks to the Baron, and suitably
                  and logically upgrade her from stock with that in mind, she's a 6.

                  > Bulkington (working for the Baron)

                  Since the PC is a close-combat character, Bulkington is VERY dangerous to her.
                  I'd call him a flat 6, when at equivalent TR ratings, or even one step down.

                  > Hellshade (for a lack of a better person
                  > that is also working for the Baron)

                  I don't have LTSD - at least not until my CD arrives *cries*
                  Unless The Scott sees fit to shoot a copy my way to tide me over till my CD does
                  actually show up.

                  > Also instead of Hellshade who would be a
                  > better person. Any suggestions?

                  *looks through BCBH roster*

                  Evil mystics like Acheron would fit the bill for the Baron's flunkies. Or would Morgan
                  Sharpe be more in line?

                  *shrugs*