Armour Adept power levels

  • orionkidder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
      hello all,

      i recently ran a one-shot game (my first time with the system) and i
      ran into a few problems. the game was fun all around, but the PCs were
      *way* too powerful. the mistakes i made were (1) not limiting the
      number of complications they could take (they had 20+ EPs worth each,
      stupid me), and (2) not limiting which complications they could take
      ("Nemisis Media" doesn't mean much in a one-shot).

      however, my armour adept managed to mess with the system in a way that
      i can't think of a way to elegantly solve. i gave them all 48EP to buy
      levels, powers, and feats. most of them took 4th level characters and
      then used their 16EPs for powers. however, my armour adept did the
      math, and realised that you get way more EPs if you take a low-level
      adept and don't spend the points on levels. then you buy the feat
      Extra Tinkering and suddenly you're buying SPs at 2:1 (the feat costs
      2EP and yields 4SPs).

      and when you think about it, the benefits of having a tough adept are
      not as useful as having a tough suit of armour. his pilot was weak as
      a kitten, but his suit was unstoppable (the only thing you can't buy
      with SPs is saves and hit points for the pilot, both things you can
      buy with feats and powers).

      the only way to fix this problem that i can see is to say "you're
      characters are 4th level and have 16EPs" instead of allowing them to
      buy levels. am i missing something here? i really like the flexibility
      of allowing players to build their characters out of EPs but this
      seems like a rather large loophole for the armour adept.

      -orion
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
        On 11 Jan 2004, at 22:09, orionkidder wrote:

        > hello all,
        >
        > i recently ran a one-shot game (my first time with the system) and i
        > ran into a few problems. the game was fun all around, but the PCs were
        > *way* too powerful. the mistakes i made were (1) not limiting the
        > number of complications they could take (they had 20+ EPs worth each,
        > stupid me), and (2) not limiting which complications they could take
        > ("Nemisis Media" doesn't mean much in a one-shot).

        There's no such thing as "way too powerful" for a well-prepared GM.

        > however, my armour adept managed to mess with the system in a way that
        > i can't think of a way to elegantly solve. i gave them all 48EP to buy
        > levels, powers, and feats. most of them took 4th level characters and
        > then used their 16EPs for powers. however, my armour adept did the
        > math, and realised that you get way more EPs if you take a low-level
        > adept and don't spend the points on levels. then you buy the feat
        > Extra Tinkering and suddenly you're buying SPs at 2:1 (the feat costs
        > 2EP and yields 4SPs).

        Woah! ***SCOTT*** Typo Alert!

        The text on Extra Tinkering reads Special: This feat may only be taken multiple times.

        That makes no sense. The feat in fact should be limited to being taken only once - this is what the 1.0
        text said and in a case like this, should be a no-brainer.
        A feat that can ONLY be taken multiple times doesn't make sense. It looks like Scott was editing it from
        "This feat may only be taken once" and changing it to the 1.1 standardized wording "This feat may not
        be taken multiple times" and goofed it.

        You'll realize that this problem is NOT a problem if Extra Tinkering can only be taken once.

        > the only way to fix this problem that i can see is to say "you're
        > characters are 4th level and have 16EPs" instead of allowing them to
        > buy levels. am i missing something here? i really like the flexibility
        > of allowing players to build their characters out of EPs but this
        > seems like a rather large loophole for the armour adept.

        Loophole solved. It never really existed in the first place.

      • orionkidder
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
          --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Palmer of the Turks"
          <palmer@s...> wrote:
          > On 11 Jan 2004, at 22:09, orionkidder wrote:
          >
          > There's no such thing as "way too powerful" for a well-prepared GM.

          that's not really the issue though, is it? whether or not i was well
          prepared the character was still far more powerful than the TR that
          the system is supposed to create.

          > > Extra Tinkering and suddenly you're buying SPs at 2:1 (the feat
          > > costs
          > > 2EP and yields 4SPs).
          >
          > Woah! ***SCOTT*** Typo Alert!
          >
          > The text on Extra Tinkering reads Special: This feat may only
          > be taken multiple times.

          aha! i had wondered about that, to be honest, but i assumed it was
          deliberately changed and not edited very well. now that i know taht
          1.0 was like this, though, it can't be anything else. good to know!

          -orion