new power enhancements

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2003
      Super-Speed
      Enhancement: Wall Run
      Cost 2EP

      This allows your character to run up verticle surfaces. Note, that he must
      'run' in the game sense that he must be travelling at least four times his
      base speed, which means that he must take a full-move option. Furthermore,
      he cannot stop moving mid-way up a verticle surface or he loses his
      momentum and falls. Note, however, that if your character ends a round in
      mid-run up a wall he has not actually stopped moving since the transition
      between rounds is actually continuous (only we players and GMs are aware
      that time has been artificially segmented for our covenience). That said,
      he must continue to run on his next round (using another full-round move)
      or he will fall.

      Plasticity
      Enhancement: Extra Stretching
      Cost: Variable (2EP / 5')

      This grants your character and extra 5' of reaching distance with arms,
      legs, and torso for every 2EP invested. As with Complete Plasticity this
      does not increase the character's threatened range, only the distance to
      which she can attack. However, melee attacks made with stretched arms,
      legs, or torsos incur a -2 to hit for every 5' over 30' (-2 at 30', -4 at
      35', etc.). Ranged attacks incur a -2 penalty for every 5' of distance
      between the character's head and her weapon. Character's who take Complete
      Plasticity already have a reach of 15'. This enhancement increases it to
      20' and beyond.

      If the majority of a character's physical mass is more than 10' away from
      her feet, her balance becomes tenuous at best and any successful physical
      hit (including ranged weapons) will knock the character down.

      And on a tangentially related note:

      Any thoughts on allowing characters with elasticity to take Quick-Step?
      "Complete Plasticity" increases a character's melee attack range to 15'
      which, logically, means that his or her arms must stretch to that distance.
      By the same logic, it seems reasonable that he should be able to stretch a
      leg extra distance for a Quick-Step effect. The modification would be dead
      simple, too. You just make Quick-Step an enhancement for Plasticity as
      well as Super Speed.

      The other school of thought, though, is that characters with Plasticity
      should take a rank in Super-Speed (long legs = long strides) and then they
      can take Quick-Step after that, which makes sense, except that it makes the
      enhancement cost 6EP, effectively.

      Thoughts?

      -Orion
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
        On 29 Nov 2003, at 20:11, Orion wrote:

        > And on a tangentially related note:
        >
        > Any thoughts on allowing characters with elasticity to take Quick-Step?
        > "Complete Plasticity" increases a character's melee attack range to 15'
        > which, logically, means that his or her arms must stretch to that distance.
        > By the same logic, it seems reasonable that he should be able to stretch a
        > leg extra distance for a Quick-Step effect. The modification would be dead
        > simple, too. You just make Quick-Step an enhancement for Plasticity as
        > well as Super Speed.

        It takes time and concentration to move a limb that far to begin with, IMO.

        Legs would be significantly harder to do so with. To make a stretch attack with an
        arm, you can whip/sling it to get momentum with ease. But legs do not have
        comparable swinging space to make use of, plus it would completely throw off your
        balance to do this. To make a 10 foot step, for instance, would necessitate having
        each leg be 5 feet long... now move your center of gravity about 5 feet laterally from
        where it normally is and balance on one foot - you're gonna fall. We can balance on
        one foot when walking as humans because the lateral distance our feet move from our
        center of gravity is miniscule. Make the lateral shift not miniscule, and you're gonna fall
        down.

        Incidentally, it pays to remember that a "5 foot step" in D&D does NOT actually
        represent taking a single step. The average person's step is under 2 feet, so a 5 foot
        "step" actually represents several short steps. Notice that the action of taking just a 5
        foot step in a round for movement (and thus not getting AoO'd) is called "adjusting".
        Super Speed characters can get quickstep, because they can physically cover more
        distance in the same time. Plasticity characters should NOT get quickstep, because
        even if they can take 15 foot strides, it doesn't make them actually any FASTER.
        It is convenient when faced with a washed out bridge or rooftop chase sequence
        though, since you can just "step across".

      • orionkidder
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
          --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Palmer of the Turks"
          <palmer@s...> wrote:
          > On 29 Nov 2003, at 20:11, Orion wrote:
          > It takes time and concentration to move a limb that far to begin
          with, IMO.

          > Legs would be significantly harder to do so with. To make a stretch
          attack with an
          > arm, you can whip/sling it to get momentum with ease. But legs do
          not have
          > comparable swinging space to make use of, plus it would completely
          throw off your
          > balance to do this. To make a 10 foot step, for instance, would
          necessitate having
          > each leg be 5 feet long... now move your center of gravity about 5
          feet laterally from
          > where it normally is and balance on one foot - you're gonna fall. We
          can balance on
          > one foot when walking as humans because the lateral distance our
          feet move from our
          > center of gravity is miniscule. Make the lateral shift not
          miniscule, and you're gonna fall
          > down.
          >
          > Incidentally, it pays to remember that a "5 foot step" in D&D does
          NOT actually
          > represent taking a single step. The average person's step is under 2
          feet, so a 5 foot
          > "step" actually represents several short steps. Notice that the
          action of taking just a 5
          > foot step in a round for movement (and thus not getting AoO'd) is
          called "adjusting".
          > Super Speed characters can get quickstep, because they can
          physically cover more
          > distance in the same time. Plasticity characters should NOT get
          quickstep, because
          > even if they can take 15 foot strides, it doesn't make them actually
          any FASTER.
          > It is convenient when faced with a washed out bridge or rooftop
          chase sequence
          > though, since you can just "step across".

          Thank you. I was obviously stuck in the wrong mind-set.

          -Orion