Re: new question...real strange NPC creation

  • j_h_frank
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2003
      MarsAlpha wrote:
      << Is it possible to make a dragon in DNW? Any takers on how to do a
      fire breathing, magic weilding, credit card owning, great horned
      dragon? >>

      Scott Lynch wrote:
      < Sigh. My secret passion for *Shadowrun* gets tweaked again. See,
      the thing is, I *love* the magic/technology crossover shtick... elves
      and computers, dragons in the boardroom, etc. I fully admit that it's
      a very geeky concept, but I adore it. So, I'll help you out. Pick a
      dragon type and an age class from fantasy D&D (and/or give me an
      approximate Threat Rating you'd like for the sucker) and I'll convert
      him to DNW as best and fast as I can, with explanatory notes.

      It'll be a useful exercise for me, too. >

      Half-fiend White Juvenile with the personality of Damien from The
      Omen III.

      --
      J. H. Frank
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 9, 2003
        On 7 Nov 2003, at 17:17, cryptosnark wrote:

        > MarsAlpha wrote:
        >
        > >Is it possible to make a dragon
        > > in DNW? Any takers on how to do a fire breathing, magic weilding,
        > > credit card owning, great horned dragon?
        >
        > Sigh. My secret passion for *Shadowrun* gets tweaked again. See, the thing
        > is, I *love* the magic/technology crossover shtick... elves and computers,
        > dragons in the boardroom, etc. I fully admit that it's a very geeky concept, but I
        > adore it. So, I'll help you out. Pick a dragon type and an age class from fantasy
        > D&D (and/or give me an approximate Threat Rating you'd like for the sucker)
        > and I'll convert him to DNW as best and fast as I can, with explanatory notes.
        > It'll be a useful exercise for me, too.

        Along these lines... one hole in DNW I've been thinking about trying to patch is the
        "Incredibly powerful vampire sorcerer" cliche... since Mystic is Baseline only and
        Vampires are Supernatural.

        I was thinking of a power, analogous to Psionic Gift, called Mystic Talent (or aptitude
        or whatever) that allows the character to take a specified number of levels of the
        Mystic class... it doesn't give them the benefits, they still have to sink the time and XP
        in, but it lets them get some/lots of mystic levels by shelling out some EP.

        I can't go into it further because of my monitor problem, but I was thinking a cost for Lv
        1 (which should be decently high) and then a smaller per-level cost past that...

        Like 4 EP for level 1, and then 2EP per level thereafter.
        This means to get Mystic 20 would cost 42 EP... but for say, 3 levels (getting Lv 2
        spells) would only be 8 EP. And 3 levels of experiences, naturally.

        Thoughts?

      • Bluntaxe
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9, 2003
          I noticed the Analysis of the Energy attack on the files section. Is
          there any rules set currently 'on the platter' for review to replace
          it? Just checking before I start my own little thing....

          Thanks

          Bluntaxe
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10, 2003
            On 7 Nov 2003, at 14:25, marsalpha wrote:

            > Thank you for the numbers. It was VERY helpful. I was trying to make
            > a stab at basing it off the enviroment kind of like in some White
            > Wolf games. They have numbers for when someone "steps sideways" into
            > the spririt world based on the enviroment of the area.
            >
            > I figured good ol' Father Static Reality in general has a high number
            > to disbelive the illusion of normalcy in general. Lower in some areas
            > where it has been explained and it is understood that "weird,
            > mystical stuff happens here" and higher where it is not likely to
            > happen...like in a Starbucks.

            I recognized the stepping sideways analogy as soon as I saw it... I played werewolf
            LARP for years :)

            > PC's and other special people are
            > different in that they for some reason can see the illusion. Most
            > humans don't get to roll since they have no need to know the truth
            > and when they try to figure it out a very good explaination is given
            > to them. Here is one example

            You ever read through Mage? Sounds a lot like the difference between Coincidental
            and Vulgar Magick to me.

            Having it set up so that only PCs are even allowed to roll lets you set lower DCs overall
            if you want spottings to occur more frequently.

            The basic numbers for any save are easy enough to work out...

            If DC = Save bonus + 10 then chance is 50%
            For every point higher, it's 5% less. For every point lower, it's 5% easier.
            d20 is easy to work the numbers with in this respect because it's a flat distribution
            (meaning that all results are equally common).
            +1 always equals +5%, whereas if you have a multi-die roll (3d6 for example) then +1
            has a variable value based on what you're trying to actually roll. It's worth more if you're
            trying to roll a 12 or higher as compared to a 6.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 10, 2003
              On 9 Nov 2003, at 22:29, Bluntaxe wrote:

              > I noticed the Analysis of the Energy attack on the files section. Is
              > there any rules set currently 'on the platter' for review to replace
              > it? Just checking before I start my own little thing....

              None that I know of thusfar. if Scott's planning to overhaul a significant power in a
              major way like that, he hasn't told us.

              The power is still quite playable as it is, IMO, just not necessarily perfectly balanced.

              The simple way to avoid all the imbalances I point out in that file is, quite simply, to
              only use d8 for your damage dice :)