Military Gamers

  • marsalpha
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
      I was reading the logs and came across that "Steve Martin" mention he
      was a soldier. I was in the US Army so that makes two. Is there
      anyone else who was or currently is military. I mean US or otherwise.
      Ever since I trained with Israeli, Canadian and British forces I have
      been very interested in how we are different yet the same. One thing
      I have found that was the same was gaming. You find gamers in all
      places. Granted there was some subtle differences but we all had four
      things in common...beer...women...military....and RPG's.

      Anyhow how many military gamers do we have here. I was in for 6
      years. I was a 19D....that is a Cavalry Scout. I was shuffled around
      for a bit in schools,scout school, airborne then the wrong assignment
      before I was with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment in Ft. Carson,
      Colorado. Later I reupped to go back to Ft. Knox...this time to teach
      scouting to a new generation of young men befor I got out.

      AriesOmega
      Cris Picado
    • Steven Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
        Cris and anyone else out there,

        I am currently a soldier in the US Army. I am a 35D,
        Military Intelligence Captain. I've been deployed to
        Kosovo and stationed in Germany while I was still an
        Infantry Officer. I am currently stationed at Fort Hood,
        Texas, and I am in the process of a medical board for a
        disease that I contracted in Kosovo. Unfortunately, I will
        be out of the Army in the February timeframe.

        Also, let me know who is in/has been in the military. I am
        always eager to listen to other people's experiences.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
          --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, Steven Martin
          <thecybersamurai@y...> wrote:
          > Cris and anyone else out there,
          >
          > I am currently a soldier in the US Army. I am a 35D,
          > Military Intelligence Captain. I've been deployed to
          > Kosovo and stationed in Germany while I was still an
          > Infantry Officer. I am currently stationed at Fort Hood,
          > Texas, and I am in the process of a medical board for a
          > disease that I contracted in Kosovo. Unfortunately, I will
          > be out of the Army in the February timeframe.

          Ouch! Steve, my sympathies. Best wishes for eventual recovery
          from your troubles.

          Three gamers of my close acquaintance are currently in the
          military (let's see-- the guy responsible for introducing me to
          gaming, and therefore indirectly responsible for *all of this,* is
          currently a SAW gunner with the 82nd Airborne, somewhere in
          Afghanistan, hopefully staying safe and kicking ass. Another
          friend joined the Army last year after getting his four-year degree
          in computer science, with the intention of trying out for SF. Lastly,
          a longtime LARP associate joined the Navy with the intention of
          pursuing a degree in nuclear engineering). All of 'em are a bit out
          of contact at the moment.

        • M K-C
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2003
            I was also in the Army. About 12-16 years ago. 1987-1991, at Fort
            Hood, with 2nd Armored Divison. I was a 76Y, Supply Clerk. I was also
            my unit's armorer. I was a part of Desert Storm & Shield (Part 1),
            back in 1990-91.

            An interesting note, is that I was in a group of gamers within my own
            unit (Don & Wayne (Radar Techs), Pete (Forward Observer), Shaun
            (Radar Operator), and Benny! (NBC tech)).

            Just before heading out to Saudi Arabia we were all called in
            separately to a meeting with our first sergeant, one of the platoon
            sergeants, and our company commander. The context of this discussion
            revovlved around our gaming, and we were all ordered NOT to attempt
            to pack any of our gaming books, for fear of possible insulting the
            Saudi nationals with the potentially disturbing images of demons and
            devils (we were playing Palladium's Robotech at the time, although we
            did play D&D on occassion) and that any attempts to 'smuggle' these
            books would result in disciplinary action.

            Jeez, you'd think these things had some sort of corrupting
            influence. :-)

            Just my little story.

            M K-C