New Class PDF: The Supercop

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
      It's in the files section, feel free to take a peek at it.

      This is definitely formulated on an "action movie" base rather
      than a "comic book" base; think Riggs and Murtaugh from
      *Lethal Weapon,* Crockett and Tubbs from *Miami Vice,* Dirty
      Harry Callahan, Bullitt, Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia in
      *Black Rain..*

      Anyhow, I'm fairly proud of it. It has some tongue-in-cheeky
      abilities, but I think they're genre-appropriate.

      Comments appreciated.

      Cheers and best!

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
        On 5 Oct 2003, at 1:01, cryptosnark wrote:

        > It's in the files section, feel free to take a peek at it.
        >
        > This is definitely formulated on an "action movie" base rather
        > than a "comic book" base; think Riggs and Murtaugh from
        > *Lethal Weapon,* Crockett and Tubbs from *Miami Vice,* Dirty
        > Harry Callahan, Bullitt, Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia in
        > *Black Rain..*
        >
        > Anyhow, I'm fairly proud of it. It has some tongue-in-cheeky
        > abilities, but I think they're genre-appropriate.

        Just took a quickie glance at it, but I LOVE the abilities.
        Especially Delay Disaster and Walk Away Unscathed.

        Scare suspect reminded me... I had a feat idea a while ago I thought I'd pitch at you.

        Call it Stickup or something similar. The benefit is that you get a hefty numerical
        bonus to Intimidate (and perhaps Command) checks by pointing a gun at the person in
        question from a range of 10 feet or less.
        Either a fixed bonus, or perhaps variable based on the type of gun (handgun provides
        the smallest bonus, maybe +2 or 3, but a shotgun is worth like +8)

      • The Shadow
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
          > Call it Stickup or something similar. The benefit is that you get a
          hefty numerical
          > bonus to Intimidate (and perhaps Command) checks by pointing a gun
          at the person in
          > question from a range of 10 feet or less.
          > Either a fixed bonus, or perhaps variable based on the type of gun
          (handgun provides
          > the smallest bonus, maybe +2 or 3, but a shotgun is worth like +8)

          *falls over laughing* Sorry, Palmer, but this irresistibly suggested
          the following movie quote to me:

          "Need... bigger... guns. Need BIG guns!" :)

          The Shadow
        • Wraith808
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
            > *falls over laughing* Sorry, Palmer, but this irresistibly
            > suggested the following movie quote to me:
            >
            > "Need... bigger... guns. Need BIG guns!" :)

            That was about the =only= good thing about that movie...

            wraith808 (wraith808@...)
            Yahoo: wraith808 | MSM: wraith808@... | AOL: darkaberrant | ICQ:
            1328185
            Moderator for DarkAberrant (http://darkaberrant.gamera.cc) and Gotham
            Nights (http://gothamnights.gamera.cc)
            --Credat Iudaeus Apella, Eventus stultorum...magister.
          • Jonathan M. Thompson
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
              Which movie would that be?

              Jonathan M. Thompson
              President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
              jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
              Luftwaffe 1946 Role Playing Game - Available November 2003; Eric Flint's
              World of 1632 Role Playing Game - Coming Soon

              > *falls over laughing* Sorry, Palmer, but this irresistibly
              > suggested the following movie quote to me:
              >
              > "Need... bigger... guns. Need BIG guns!" :)

              That was about the =only= good thing about that movie...

              wraith808 (wraith808@...)
              Yahoo: wraith808 | MSM: wraith808@... | AOL: darkaberrant | ICQ:
              1328185
              Moderator for DarkAberrant (http://darkaberrant.gamera.cc) and Gotham
              Nights (http://gothamnights.gamera.cc)
              --Credat Iudaeus Apella, Eventus stultorum...magister.

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              ---
              Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

              ---
            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
                Ok,
                What movie?

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
                  Oh my... I forget the name.  Split Second?  Rutger Hauer? An aliens/predator type movie... without most of the coolness.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                    OMG! THat movie Rocked, in a "B" movie kinda way..... :P

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                      Yes, it was Split Second. And yes, the best part about it was how
                      the squeaky, shiny new cop gets slowly corrupted into consuming
                      massive amounts of coffee and chocolate to calm his nerves, and into
                      wanting bigger and bigger guns. :)

                      I thought it actually had potential, but the ending was so laughably
                      bad that I just couldn't take it seriously.

                      The Shadow
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                        On 8 Oct 2003, at 5:25, The Shadow wrote:

                        > Yes, it was Split Second. And yes, the best part about it was how
                        > the squeaky, shiny new cop gets slowly corrupted into consuming
                        > massive amounts of coffee and chocolate to calm his nerves, and into
                        > wanting bigger and bigger guns. :)

                        Bah, I come up with an idea for a feat, there are EIGHT replies with the name of the
                        feat in the subject line, and not one of them is about the feat itself!

                        To that, you all get a great big :-p

                        So ha!

                        STICKUP [ Performance Enhancer]
                        Your character knows how to best apply his firearms to the delicate art of persuasion.
                        Prerequisite: Intimidate 4+ ranks. Proficiency in any type of firearms
                        Benefit: When the character attempts to use the Intimidate skill against a subject by pointing
                        or otherwise threatening with a gun, he gains a +4 fear bonus on his checks. Also, once per
                        scene, if the character fails a check he may choose to fire a "warning shot", which allows a
                        retry on the following round as if the first check had not failed. Additional "warning shots"
                        have no effect. Depending on the circumstances, the GM may allow this feat to apply to other
                        skills like Interrogation or Command.
                        Special: Any special bonus a target may have to resist fear (such as the Unshakable feat)
                        reduces the effect of this feat by half the bonus provided. As well, any bonus against fear
                        completely negates the benefit of a "warning shot". The character may fire one, but they will
                        not know it had no effect
                        Normal: Ordinarily, a character receives no special benefit from threatening a subject with a firearm.

                        Now... comments?

                      • Wraith808
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                          > Bah, I come up with an idea for a feat, there are EIGHT
                          > replies with the name of the feat in the subject line, and
                          > not one of them is about the feat itself!
                          >
                          > To that, you all get a great big :-p
                          >
                          > So ha!

                          Ahem. Yes. So sorry about that, chap.

                          > STICKUP [ Performance Enhancer]
                          <snip>
                          > Benefit: When the character attempts to use the Intimidate
                          > skill against a subject by pointing or otherwise threatening
                          > with a gun, he gains a +4 fear bonus on his checks. Also,
                          > once per scene, if the character fails a check he may choose
                          > to fire a "warning shot", which allows a retry on the
                          > following round as if the first check had not failed.
                          > Additional "warning shots"
                          > have no effect. Depending on the circumstances, the GM may
                          > allow this feat to apply to other skills like Interrogation
                          > or Command.
                          <snip>
                          > Normal: Ordinarily, a character receives no special benefit
                          > from threatening a subject with a firearm.
                          >
                          > Now... comments?

                          Well, I think it was definitely a needed addition, though I normally just
                          adjudicated the add from roleplaying... However, where did you get the +4
                          from?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                            I couldn't take anything in that movie seriously.
                            It was Cyberpunk meets Where's Waldo.
                            But it rocked in that "B" movie kind of way. Not as bad as Toxic Avenger or as good as the Evil dead series but still good....  =P

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                              On 8 Oct 2003, at 11:55, Wraith808 wrote:

                              > Well, I think it was definitely a needed addition, though I normally just
                              > adjudicated the add from roleplaying... However, where did you get the +4
                              > from?

                              A normal feat offers a flat +3 to one skill (Skill Focus) or +2 to 2 skills (Alertness et
                              al.). Or, in the case of feats like Unshakable, it offers +4 to a certain check, but only in
                              a specific circumstance.

                              So I went with +4 as this requires a certain circumstance.

                              Do you think it should be higher or lower?

                            • Wraith808
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                                > A normal feat offers a flat +3 to one skill (Skill Focus) or
                                > +2 to 2 skills (Alertness et al.). Or, in the case of feats
                                > like Unshakable, it offers +4 to a certain check, but only in
                                > a specific circumstance.
                                >
                                > So I went with +4 as this requires a certain circumstance.
                                >
                                > Do you think it should be higher or lower?

                                I just wanted to see your logic more than anything else. I think it works
                                ... Especially in light of your response...

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                                  Wraith,
                                  I noticed you took the cyberpunk campaign setting for your Dark Abarrant game.
                                  How's it working out for you?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 9, 2003
                                    <<
                                    Wraith,
                                    I noticed you took the cyberpunk campaign setting for your Dark Abarrant
                                    game.
                                    How's it working out for you?

                                    They are surprisingly compatible with each other... Makes for a darker
                                    game... Just a few changes to the timeline and it was a perfect fit.
                                    Anything particular other than that you want to know about it?