Errata/Adjustment Update

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have updated the document with a few more changes and
      adjustments, including a few to reflect some of Palmer's
      concerns from his message below. More to come.

      Cheers!

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        On 2 Oct 2003, at 6:03, cryptosnark wrote:

        > I have updated the document with a few more changes and
        > adjustments, including a few to reflect some of Palmer's
        > concerns from his message below. More to come.

        Typo alert - just noticed today when showing my GF the super-athlete and she asked for a
        description of Sportcraft...

        p79 - Description of Sportcraft: Under the types of sport listed (left column, bottom of page),
        Skateboarding shows up twice (as the second and 4th item in the right column). I expect one
        of them was supposed to be Snowboarding.

        As well, on the same page (right column, near the top) it reads:

        Special: Environmental circumstances factor heavily into
        Sportcraft checks. See Unusual Forms of Movement on page
        324 for more details).

        The problem: The relevant page is 323, not 324

        ---------

        I wholeheartedly approve of the damage negating abilities of Hero Points now. They were
        obnoxiously powerful before. There's nothing that makes a player discouraged as much as
        getting an 80 damage critical hit... and then having the villain spend 1 of 7 VP to ignore it.

        I also like the improvement to grenades... they looked good compared to most guns at a
        glance, but in practice just disappointed. Kudos.

        One more nit-pick to make:

        Dextrous Fighter (p.96)
        Under the 3.5 revision this feat is now redundant; it may be replaced with Weapon Finesse
        (Unarmed Strike).

        One other change to Weapon Finesse in 3.5
        It is no longer "choose a light weapon"
        It is ALL light and otherwise finessable weapons with just one feat pick.

        SRD Quote:

        WEAPON FINESSE [GENERAL]
        Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
        Benefit: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category,
        you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a
        shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
        Special: A fighter may select Weapon Finesse as one of his fighter bonus feats.
        Natural weapons are always considered light weapons
        ---------------------
        I should see if I can find this "3.0 to 3.5 change guide" a fellow on one of the D&D lists wrote up... he
        covered a LOT of the nitpicky details like this.
        Ah, found it and uploaded to the files section (root folder)
        One thing not listed in that file that has changed though is that Perform is no longer a "pick a type per
        rank" skill, but instead a "Pick a type" skill like Knowledge and Profession.
        This may have significant ramifications for Sportcraft if you choose to change it along those lines, and
        thus the Super-Athlete

        Anyhow, I'm glad to see my observations and comments aren't for naught.
        I swear, your policy of keeping an open dialogue with customers/players like you do is one of
        the reasons you have one of the absolute best d20 products on the market today (and
        hopefully for more days in the future than I care to count)

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
          --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Palmer of the
          Turks" <palmer@s...> wrote:

          > Typo alert - just noticed today when showing my GF the
          super-athlete and she asked for a
          > description of Sportcraft...
          >
          > p79 - Description of Sportcraft: Under the types of sport listed
          (left column, bottom of page),
          > Skateboarding shows up twice (as the second and 4th item in
          the right column). I expect one
          > of them was supposed to be Snowboarding.

          Skateboarding is life! Skateboarding must be listed multiple
          times! D'oh. Snowboarding is indeed what was meant.

          > As well, on the same page (right column, near the top) it reads:
          >
          > Special: Environmental circumstances factor heavily into
          > Sportcraft checks. See Unusual Forms of Movement on page
          > 324 for more details).
          >
          > The problem: The relevant page is 323, not 324

          I would chop off a finger in contrition, but I don't have enough
          fingers left to hold the knife. Noted!

          > I wholeheartedly approve of the damage negating abilities of
          Hero Points now. They were
          > obnoxiously powerful before. There's nothing that makes a
          player discouraged as much as
          > getting an 80 damage critical hit... and then having the villain
          spend 1 of 7 VP to ignore it.

          That's one serious problem, indeed. As Brad very eloquently put
          it to me, the total-negation ability of Hero Points means that PCs
          can enter a situation with *zero* dread, *zero* forethought, and
          *zero* need for tactics or cleverness, because they know that
          *nothing* the villain or menace does can hurt them, at least the
          first time it happens. That means that even if the threat is
          Godzilla given 30 vigilante class levels and a +5 oversized keen
          longsword of wounding, it might as well be Bob the School
          Janitor with a dull pen-knife for the first few rounds. An
          over-exaggeration, to be sure, but the point is very real.

          So, half-damage sounds good for me... if a character is really in
          the shitter, he can spend more Hero Points for a death
          exemption most of the time anyway. ;)

          > I also like the improvement to grenades... they looked good
          compared to most guns at a
          > glance, but in practice just disappointed. Kudos.

          Groovy. I'm going to work on heavy weapons just a wee bit, too.

          > One more nit-pick to make:
          >
          > Dextrous Fighter (p.96)
          > Under the 3.5 revision this feat is now redundant; it may be
          replaced with Weapon Finesse
          > (Unarmed Strike).
          >
          > One other change to Weapon Finesse in 3.5
          > It is no longer "choose a light weapon"
          > It is ALL light and otherwise finessable weapons with just one
          feat pick.

          Right you are.

          > Anyhow, I'm glad to see my observations and comments aren't
          for naught.
          > I swear, your policy of keeping an open dialogue with
          customers/players like you do is one of
          > the reasons you have one of the absolute best d20 products
          on the market today (and
          > hopefully for more days in the future than I care to count)

          Their outstanding insight makes it frankly impossible for me not
          to do so. ;)

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2003
            On 5 Oct 2003, at 0:58, cryptosnark wrote:

            > > As well, on the same page (right column, near the top) it reads:
            > >
            > > Special: Environmental circumstances factor heavily into
            > > Sportcraft checks. See Unusual Forms of Movement on page
            > > 324 for more details).
            > >
            > > The problem: The relevant page is 323, not 324
            >
            > I would chop off a finger in contrition, but I don't have enough
            > fingers left to hold the knife. Noted!

            Enough with the yubitsume. We need you to type, so cut it out.
            Instead of cutting off fingers in contrition, you can voluntarily pluck your eyebrows with
            tweezers.

            > So, half-damage sounds good for me... if a character is really in
            > the shitter, he can spend more Hero Points for a death
            > exemption most of the time anyway. ;)

            Very true. I still have trouble seeing myself spending them to roll extra dice on skill
            checks though... it feels very weak compared to damage evasion.

            > > I also like the improvement to grenades... they looked good
            > > compared to most guns at a
            > > glance, but in practice just disappointed. Kudos.
            >
            > Groovy. I'm going to work on heavy weapons just a wee bit, too.

            One thought I had with the grenades... they say they do heat/fire as well as normal
            damage type within 5 feet... most of the time this will have no effect on the game.
            The idea I had was that in the square of detonation for a grenade, it automatically does
            double damage - half of it of the normal type (impaling, etc) and half of it fire/heat.
            And both of these can be doubled on a crit, of course.
            So having a contact fused frag grenade go off at your feet would do 4d6 impaling + 4d6
            fire/heat for a total of 8 dice of messiness... but 5 feet away it would only do 3d6
            impaling and no fire/heat.
            This means that being next to a grenade is VERY dangerous, but being in the blast
            isn't nearly as much.

            > > Anyhow, I'm glad to see my observations and comments aren't
            > for naught.
            > > I swear, your policy of keeping an open dialogue with
            > customers/players like you do is one of
            > > the reasons you have one of the absolute best d20 products
            > on the market today (and
            > > hopefully for more days in the future than I care to count)
            >
            > Their outstanding insight makes it frankly impossible for me not
            > to do so. ;)

            What can I say? I'm a designer at heart, but lack your genius and work ethic.