New File: The Super-Athlete Class

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      Howdy, all--

      As I work on *Pow! Super!* one of the things I'm going to do a bit
      differently than in the past is offer stuff up for general
      examination and criticism before it goes into the book. ;)
      Learning after only four DNW PDFs? Yes, even my thick skull
      occasionally absorbs a fragment of wisdom...

      Anyhow, the first of these new toys is the super-athlete character
      class, available in the files section in the mysteriously-named
      "super-athlete.pdf."

      The super-athlete will be joined later this week by its cousins,
      the supercop and the super-soldier.

      The super-athlete is more combat-capable than the adventurer
      but less technically skilled and narrower in focus. The
      super-athlete excels at simple physical exertion in the same way
      the vigilante excels at fighting others. Feel free to tinker or
      criticize as you see fit.

      Cheers!

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
        On 1 Oct 2003, at 5:47, cryptosnark wrote:

        > The super-athlete is more combat-capable than the adventurer
        > but less technically skilled and narrower in focus. The
        > super-athlete excels at simple physical exertion in the same way
        > the vigilante excels at fighting others. Feel free to tinker or
        > criticize as you see fit.

        First thought... perhaps d10 HP and d4 PP?
        I see PP as more a metaphysical/soft/internal quality, and the Athlete seems to be
        more of a physical/hard/external focussed archetype... much like the difference
        between Tai Chi Chuan and Muay Thai. Just a thought, really.

        Fort and Ref saves... for some athletes, I'd see Fort as being the higher save. A
        distance runner, for instance.
        Perhaps add a line saying the player can choose to have Fort/Ref/Will +1/+2/+0 or
        +2/+1/+0 save progression, depending on whether they see their athleticism being
        skill/agility based (skateboarding, basketball, etc) or strength/stamina based
        (marathon runner, linebacker, etc)

        Question: Supreme Effort says the character may take 20 even under stress... I get
        the feeling that the intent behind this is that the skill use that benefits from this does
        NOT take the normal 20 times as long (as well as suffer the consequences of failure
        before success). I ask this because normally the lack of stress requirement for taking
        20 is because you need time for 20 uninterrupted skill uses.
        But either way, you may want to be more clear about it.

        Should Intimidate be on the class skill list? Some athletes use it, no doubt.

        It looks good overall... but it just kinda /feels/ weaker than most of the core classes. I
        couldn't tell you why, but I feel that this class will definately be a very niche class,
        mostly taken for flavour/concept than out of utility.