Errata and Adjustments

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
      Howdy, all!

      I have begun compiling an official DNW 1.1 errata/adjustments
      document. It's in the files section, called "dnwadjustments.txt."
      It'll stay a .txt document so I can update it fairly easily.

      Anyhow, I'm also taking nominations for other typos, screwy bits,
      or targets for correction. Later this week I'll post an adjustment to
      Hero Points that stems from a rewarding conversation with Brad
      Walker a few months ago.

      P.S. Let's see... Cris, I know you got your books replaced.
      William, Scott, I sent you guys e-mail a few minutes ago. Let's
      ride the Wheel of E-Fortune and see what we get...
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
        On 30 Sep 2003, at 3:43, cryptosnark wrote:

        > Howdy, all!
        >
        > I have begun compiling an official DNW 1.1 errata/adjustments
        > document. It's in the files section, called "dnwadjustments.txt."
        > It'll stay a .txt document so I can update it fairly easily.
        >
        > Anyhow, I'm also taking nominations for other typos, screwy bits,
        > or targets for correction. Later this week I'll post an adjustment to
        > Hero Points that stems from a rewarding conversation with Brad
        > Walker a few months ago.

        Point 1: Dextrous Fighter serves no purpose.
        Unarmed attacks are defined as "light weapons" by default, and thus are valid for use
        with Weapon Finesse. I can't remember if the 3.0 SRD mentioned this, but I do know
        the 3.5 SRD explicitly states it.

        Point 2: EP cost on Enhanced Ability. Perhaps the 3EP for +2 idea. Or perhaps a
        variable EP cost based on the specific ability being enhanced... 1:1 for Cha, perhaps,
        but 2:1 to bump Dex.

        Point 3: Remember the Dodge/Improved Dodge/Defensive Awareness/Instinctive
        Dodging discussion we had? And how you felt the new nerfed Def. Awareness (+1
        dodge bonus vs everyone) was balanced because it had 4 prerequisites (Dex and Wis
        13+, Dodge, Alertness)?

        What about "Defensive Martial Arts" from NHCOJ #2? It's +1 dodge vs everyone, has
        no prerequisites whatsoever, and grants access to a couple other nice feats like
        Combat Throw. That seems significantly out of balance compared to the stance you
        had taken (but just fine by mine)

        Point 4: Entangling. In a couple places in the book, the effects of entangling are
        described as "moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, suffers a -2 penalty to attack
        rolls, and a -4 penalty to AC." The most noteworthy place is the text for Improved Entangling
        Other places in the book describe the effects as "entangled opponent suffers a –2 penalty to attack
        rolls, a –4 penalty to effective Dexterity, and can't move."

        One reduces AC and movement. The other reduces Dex and prevents movement completely.
        Which is it? And is an entangled opponent subject to sneak attacks?

        Point 5: In some of the Class Bonus Feat lists, "Improved Combat Reflexes" is
        mentioned. It was renamed to "Deadly Opportunity Attack" for 1.1. Mercenary and
        Vigilante specifically mention it. I'm not sure if some other renamed feats were missed
        in these lists, I haven't gone looking.
        As well, the stat block for Bruce Lee lists Imp. Combat Reflexes.

        Point 6: The Grenade Launcher stat line for the OICW is mis-aligned. Also, it doesn't
        specify what type of damage the grenade launcher does.

        Point 7: Deadeye. I love it. But I think it should not be capped to +6. Right now, the
        damage balance of the game is MASSIVELY slanted in favor of melee exclusively.
        There's no limit to the damage you can apply from strength to a sword. Having 30 Str
        lets you do 2d6+30 (42) damage using a normal greatsword without any feats required.
        (+20 super damage x1.5 for 2 hands) But a comparable personal firearm (a .440
        Desert Eagle), wielded with 30 Dex AND having spent THREE feats to improve it, can
        do a max of 2d6+6 (18). Even if Deadeye was uncapped, it'd still only do 2d6+10 (22)

        Speaking of that...

        Point 8: Honestly, I think firearm damage ratings are significantly underpowered. My
        group is going up against a bunch of Strongarm 2 goons who have Armored Dusters
        (2/2/3) and DR Subtle 2 each. That's DR/BDR 4/5. Over half of all firearm hits simply
        fail to penetrate at all. The only time anyone in the group has done more than 3
        damage in a single hit has been with a crit, or a fire attack (these goons are rather
        vulnerable to fire). The damage ratings in d20 Modern are much more in line, I feel.
        Handguns are 2d4 for a .32, 2d6 for a 9mm. 2d8 for a .50 or .44 Magnum
        Rifles are 2d8 for basic, 2d10 for high-powered or shotguns and 2d12 for the Barrett
        Model 82 heavy sniper rifle.
        The comparable numbers in DNW are 1d6, 1d8 and 1d10 or 2d6 for handguns, and
        1d8+2, 1d10+2, 3d6 (shotguns) and 2d8+2 for the Barrett.
        As well, frag grenades do 4d6 in d20 Modern, vs 3d6 in DNW. And it's shown in my
        game, where the super-speedster used his extra actions to prime and drop 3 grenades
        at this one guy's feet (the above BDR 5 Strongarm 2) and fly away.
        All 3 grenades went off. He took a total of 7 damage. 7 damage from 3 grenades going
        off at his feet. Something just isn't right there. Also, the Ref save DC feels too low.

        Point 9: Incredible Item, under weapons, Energy Burst should be 1EP, not 2. I
        mentioned this previously.

        Point 10: Speaking of Incredible Item, it is pretty well the most worthless power in the
        book. For the same EP cost as comparable powers, you can get the same abilities,
        only tied into an item which can be lost, destroyed or stolen and used against you...
        unless you pay EP specifically to prevent the latter 2. But that's 7 EP, which for any
        other character, would be a LOT more beneficial than those 2 benefits are.

        As well, there are a number of abilities I feel would be more appropriate to the setting
        but aren't availiable because the list is still basically fantasy-melee-centric.

        I've uploaded the version of the rules and options I'm using in my game to the files
        section. All the descriptions of what things do are brief, but concise and certainly
        descriptive enough for a gamer to understand.

        All of these points aside, here are the most basic changes I feel need to be made to
        Incredible Item.

        A: Baselines should have full, unfettered access to this "power". Even moreso than the
        "only compensated EP from complications" limit to the GM's Option: Baselines and
        Super Powers. Every character should have access to this power with no limits on the
        EP they can sink into it, nor limited to just compensated EP.

        B: Willfull should be a free quality for every incredible item. As well, allow the
        "authorized user" to be changed by the current user at will, or perhaps enable a list of
        authorized users.

        C: The cost is WAY too high. Some of those costs are the exact same cost as a
        normal power - but are instead restricted to just one (breakable, stealable) item and
        thus have nowhere near the flexibility. DR stands out to me especially. The cost for DR
        added to an item is the same as for Natural DR - Subtle. Every other DR type is
        cheaper than 1:1 because they have drawbacks. I think being limited to one item is a
        pretty harsh one.
        My suggestion for this is to add up all the EP that the item has, and then multiply it by
        a fraction to get the final cost. I haven't settled on one, but I figure between 50 and
        75%, leaning towards 66% (2/3rds)

        D: There should be an established way to make Incredible Items with tech skills that
        don't involve the conventional Super Science rules... because really, a Glock 17 with
        +3 Enhancement isn't reality-breaking in a supers or even modern tech setting... it's
        just damn good.

        You know, I've been thinking about posting these for a while now, but this gave me an
        excuse to do so.

        On a lighter note - the more I read 1.1, the more it rewards me.
        I just found a power description on page 201, just before Tunnelling, that isn't on the
        Summary List.
        You never cease to amaze me Scott.