The Shadow Has Entered The Building :)

  • The Shadow
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi guys,

      Been gone for a while with a minor medical emergency. Things are
      under control now.

      During this down time, I got my first good look at Mutants &
      Masterminds, courtesy of a friend. Interesting stuff!

      It seems to me that it and DNW are at pretty much at the peak of two
      different styles of game design, in the same genre and darn near the
      same game *system*. Makes for an interesting comparison.

      My take is that while D&D 3e is what D&D *should have been* all those
      years ago, M&M is what Champions *should have been* all those years
      ago. Of course years of experience and streamlining are behind the
      elegance of both systems; the pioneers have the honor of making all
      the mistakes first, to be sure.

      M&M is an elegant "classical" design - more elegant even than
      Champions and yet far easier and more intuitive to use! A tour de
      force. The combat looks fast and entertaining - the "damage save" is
      an intriguing concept.

      DNW, on the other hand, is at the pinnacle of what I'd
      call "romantic" design. Whereas M&M gives you stripped-down bare
      bolts of powers and shows you how to build them up into what you
      want, fudging here and there to tweak it, DNW lovingly details each
      power, wasting no effort to make sure it works EXACTLY the way the
      designer wants it to. In that, Scott, your work reminds me of GURPS -
      not in terms of system, of course, but in terms of exhaustive
      attention to detail.

      They're both terrific games, suiting different temperaments. Now I
      just wish I had anyone to play EITHER of them with. :)

      The Shadow