New Feat; Remote Control.

  • Daiv
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
      Remote Control
      Prerequisite: Telekinesis (5 Ranks)
      This feat allows the Psi to use a Telekinesis for a single Dexterity
      based skill. Use ranks in Telekinesis as ranks in the skill, with the
      modifier from Intelligence rather than Dexterity. This Feat may be
      taken multiple times, with each new feat applying to a new dexterity
      based skill.

      sleep is for the weak
      caffeine is my sacrament
      are those spiders real

      -Daiv
      www.geekhaiku.com
      AIM drnknmstrhkugk
      YIM daivbear
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
        --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, Daiv <daiv@c...>
        wrote:
        > Remote Control
        > Prerequisite: Telekinesis (5 Ranks)
        > This feat allows the Psi to use a Telekinesis for a single
        Dexterity
        > based skill. Use ranks in Telekinesis as ranks in the skill, with
        the
        > modifier from Intelligence rather than Dexterity. This Feat may
        be
        > taken multiple times, with each new feat applying to a new
        dexterity
        > based skill.

        Hmmm. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm. I think that has some
        promise, Daiv. I imagine a telekinetic "stabilizing" himself for a
        Balance check, or holding himself up off the flor for a Move
        Silently check...

        The idea needs a bit of refinement, since a telekinetic can
        already replace skills like Pick Pocket (now Sleight of Hand) and
        Use Rope with a Telekinesis check without the need for a feat...
        but otherwise very worthwhile.

        Seems to me that telekinesis should also be able to augment
        the Strength-based "athletics" skills– Climb, Jump, and Swim.

        Cheers!

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
          On 1 Aug 2003, at 22:58, cryptosnark wrote:

          > --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, Daiv <daiv@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > Remote Control
          > > Prerequisite: Telekinesis (5 Ranks)
          >
          > Hmmm. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm. I think that has some
          > promise, Daiv. I imagine a telekinetic "stabilizing" himself for a
          > Balance check, or holding himself up off the flor for a Move
          > Silently check...
          >
          > The idea needs a bit of refinement, since a telekinetic can
          > already replace skills like Pick Pocket (now Sleight of Hand) and
          > Use Rope with a Telekinesis check without the need for a feat...
          > but otherwise very worthwhile.
          >
          > Seems to me that telekinesis should also be able to augment
          > the Strength-based "athletics" skills– Climb, Jump, and Swim.

          Especially Jump, IMO. Hell, with enough points in TK, you can effectively fly, though
          poorly. Maybe a feat to improve that?

          Perhaps have a similar setup to Shadows Telepathic Savvy, where you can select a
          pair skills to boost with your TK. The question is, how much, and how many.

          Perhaps use the same system as the TP one for synergies, +2 synergy to 2 different
          listed skills... add a matching TK feat for it.
          Then make Improved versions of the feats, requiring 10+ (or higher) ranks, which let
          you choose 2 skills previously chosen with the Savvy feat to get an additional stacking
          +2 bonus (for a total of +4/+4)

          Oh, thought... TK costs PP. Then maybe... a feat allowing you to use your TK for a +X
          bonus to any one use of any of the listed skills for the cost of 1 PP.
          The X is determined by your ranks or rating in TK, so higher ranks give you a bigger
          bonus without needing to spend more feats.

        • The Shadow
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
            > Perhaps use the same system as the TP one for synergies, +2 synergy
            to 2 different
            > listed skills... add a matching TK feat for it.

            As might be expected, I'm all in favor. :)

            > Then make Improved versions of the feats, requiring 10+ (or higher)
            ranks, which let
            > you choose 2 skills previously chosen with the Savvy feat to get an
            additional stacking
            > +2 bonus (for a total of +4/+4)

            That'll work. Much like Skill Focus. What do you think of my idea of
            subbing in the TP roll, with a bonus? (But being detectable.)

            > Oh, thought... TK costs PP. Then maybe... a feat allowing you to
            use your TK for a +X
            > bonus to any one use of any of the listed skills for the cost of 1
            PP.
            > The X is determined by your ranks or rating in TK, so higher ranks
            give you a bigger
            > bonus without needing to spend more feats.

            Interesting! I suggest a cap on X, though - or maybe just a
            progression of X vs. ranks that ensures things don't get TOO ugly at
            high skill.

            The Shadow
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
              On 3 Aug 2003, at 21:33, The Shadow wrote:

              > > Then make Improved versions of the feats, requiring 10+ (or higher)
              > ranks, which let
              > > you choose 2 skills previously chosen with the Savvy feat to get an
              > additional stacking
              > > +2 bonus (for a total of +4/+4)
              >
              > That'll work. Much like Skill Focus. What do you think of my idea of
              > subbing in the TP roll, with a bonus? (But being detectable.)

              Tricky to adjucate... just because you're doing something TP instead of normally
              doesn't necessarily make you any better at it, after all.

              How about... you may use your INT bonus to the skill in place of your CHA bonus, but
              use the skill normally otherwise? Since most psions would likely have a noticeably
              higher Int than Cha. And the synergy bonus comes into play as well, too.
              And you could can the fatigue bit with this use.

              Possible variant - Spend 1 PP to add your INT bonus to the normal roll (keeping the
              CHA bonus in there as well)

              > > Oh, thought... TK costs PP. Then maybe... a feat allowing you
              > > to use your TK for a +X bonus to any one use of any of the
              > > listed skills for the cost of 1 PP.
              > > The X is determined by your ranks or rating in TK, so higher
              > > ranks give you a bigger bonus without needing to spend more feats.
              >
              > Interesting! I suggest a cap on X, though - or maybe just a
              > progression of X vs. ranks that ensures things don't get TOO ugly at
              > high skill.

              Ranks would be my choice, so it's based on points spent on it, rather than Int bonus
              and other stuffs.

            • The Shadow
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
                > Tricky to adjucate... just because you're doing something TP
                instead of normally
                > doesn't necessarily make you any better at it, after all.

                The idea was that you're basically manipulating their mind directly
                instead of bothering to be persuasive... but I see your point.

                > How about... you may use your INT bonus to the skill in place of
                your CHA bonus, but
                > use the skill normally otherwise? Since most psions would likely
                have a noticeably
                > higher Int than Cha. And the synergy bonus comes into play as well,
                too.
                > And you could can the fatigue bit with this use.

                I have to say that it bothers me that Int is used for so many Psion
                skills... I'd rather see Cha used for a number of them.

                > Possible variant - Spend 1 PP to add your INT bonus to the normal
                roll (keeping the
                > CHA bonus in there as well)

                I like this idea better than the one just above.

                > > Interesting! I suggest a cap on X, though - or maybe just a
                > > progression of X vs. ranks that ensures things don't get TOO ugly
                at
                > > high skill.
                >
                > Ranks would be my choice, so it's based on points spent on it,
                rather than Int bonus
                > and other stuffs.

                Agreed.

                The Shadow