Power Increasers?

  • M K-C
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 12:46 PM
      Is there such a power that temporarily increase a superpower in a
      target?

      Power Nullification can take powers away for a time. But what about
      it's 'opposite'?

      Is there a power that could say bump up Cyclops's optic beam from a
      max of 8d8 to say 10d8 or 12d8?

      In looking around in some of my comics, this power is rare, but it
      does pop up from time to time.

      Anyone have any ideas? I've scanned the 1.1 document, but I can't
      find anything about it? Am I blind? or does it simply not exist? Or
      would this be one of those 'build your own power' kind of things?

      Thanks for any help!
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 3:09 PM
        --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "M K-C"
        <mkayconway@y...> wrote:
        > Is there such a power that temporarily increase a superpower
        in a
        > target?

        Not in the basic sourcebook. I had tentative plans to stick one or
        two of this sort in *Pow! Super!.*

        > Power Nullification can take powers away for a time. But what
        about
        > it's 'opposite'?

        A good point in favor.

        > Is there a power that could say bump up Cyclops's optic beam
        from a
        > max of 8d8 to say 10d8 or 12d8?
        >
        > In looking around in some of my comics, this power is rare, but
        it
        > does pop up from time to time.

        Interesting. This was one of the powers I was very "iffy" about,
        because I wasn't sure if it had ever popped up in any comics of
        note. I *will* do my best to cook up something that doesn't bust
        the game at the seams, and put it in *Pow! Super!*

        Cheers!

        SL
      • M K-C
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 5:05 PM
          > Interesting. This was one of the powers I was very "iffy" about,
          > because I wasn't sure if it had ever popped up in any comics of
          > note. I *will* do my best to cook up something that doesn't bust
          > the game at the seams, and put it in *Pow! Super!*
          >
          > Cheers!
          >
          > SL

          Now mind you, this is without looking at my collection, but I can
          immediately recall 2 characters in Marvel comics with this type of
          power.

          One was from early X-Factor issues. (I'm talking single digits
          here.) The guy didn't even have an code name, just Michael Nowlan.
          He could increase any mutant's powers. It had a side effect though.
          The target became quickly addicted to the power boost. He died
          during this short run, but it is just one example.

          #2 was from a limited series entitled "Fallen Angels". There was a
          asian (korean?) girl with the name of 'Chance'. Her power was
          essentially to be able 'double or nothing' a mutant's powers. She
          could take away a mutant's powers or double thier effectiveness. Not
          quite sure how it worked, but that was her power.

          Both of these individuals could effect several people at once as
          well. I'm sure there are more. Wasn't there an Magneto Acolyte or
          something with the power to increase a mutant's powers. It too had
          some sort of side effect. Cortez or something like that? Anywho,
          there some are examples.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2 10:29 PM
            <mkayconway@y...> wrote:

            > #2 was from a limited series entitled "Fallen Angels". There
            was a
            > asian (korean?) girl with the name of 'Chance'. Her power was
            > essentially to be able 'double or nothing' a mutant's powers.
            She
            > could take away a mutant's powers or double thier
            effectiveness. Not
            > quite sure how it worked, but that was her power.

            I love that concept. Talk about building tension during a fight-- an
            even chance that you'll either make an ally twice as bad-ass or
            nerf their powers completely. That's too good to pass up, I have
            to write it up for something. ;)

            Thanks!