Re: A couple Incorporality Questions

  • The Shadow
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 1:32 PM
      > > I've been maintaining for some time now that the Incorporeality
      > > power needs some serious clarification.
      >
      > Well, I won't disagree with you. I tried to improve upon the vague,
      > aggravating description in the SRD, which rapidly broke down
      > when exposed to the possibilities of supers gaming.

      I can appreciate that. :) The Gaseous Form power got a bit silly in
      places too, for the same reason. (Let 'em keep their clothes. :)

      > My ruling is an accord with the Shadow's view-- by default, one
      > can take only willing (or unconscious) characters. I *would* allow
      > an enhancement that would let your character drag an unwilling
      > subject into incorporeality, but shoving someone into a wall (via
      > incorporeality or teleportation) is something that I considered
      > from the beginning to be verboten, because it's one of those very
      > few powers that strikes me as inherently, inescapably twinky,
      > unfair, and deadly far out of proportion to its EP cost or relative
      > power needs.

      Yay me! :)

      > Sure, I could just make it cost 50 EPs by default, but high EP cost
      > is only a game-balance mechanism to a certain point if Johnny
      > Teleporter could kill Godzilla with a single well-placed Bic pen.

      Godzilla HAS a brain? And heck, if Johnny did manage to lobotomize
      Ol' Sparky, I would not want to be anywhere nearby, thanks! :) Of
      course, since Johnny's a teleporter, he may not have to be, or not
      for very long...

      For people who really want to use Incorporeality or Teleportation as
      weapons - to imitate the Vision, say - create a Penetrating Energy
      Attack, I say.

      By the way, Scott, did you ever see my discussion on why I think the
      Energy Attack numbers are broken?

      > You see? It's not the natural/artificial nature of the gas itself
      that
      > counts, but the natural state of the *environment.* Otherwise,
      > Incorporeality would have amounted to the full 8 EP Unusual
      > Physiology: Breathing (Need Not Breathe) power for free, and I
      > would have had to beef up its EP cost. Also, I don't particularly
      > like the idea of insisting that one super-power ALWAYS implies
      > or requires some level of another (Cybernetic Arms and Legs
      > were an exception in 1.0, and there may be other rare exceptions
      > from time to time, but I mean *rare*).
      >
      > Does that help?

      Yes, that's much more clear. May I suggest a rewrite? I honestly
      did not get that out of the power description.

      > As for inertia, my take is that inertia becomes meaningless to an
      > incorporeal character-- he becomes the solid matter equivalent
      > of a ghost, and can will himself to float or sink like one. As a
      rule
      > of thumb, let's say that a character who goes incorporeal at any
      > unusually high speed may decelerate himself to any lesser
      > speed as a standard action. This bit of pseudoscience, I think,
      > saves us from the need to add yet another layer of cans and
      > can-nots to a power that has always driven me crazy (in its d20
      > SRD format) for its loopholes. If we were willing, I think we could
      > add more situational modifiers to Incorporeality than we could to
      > even something like Teleportation.

      OK, it's simple, and we can ignore questions like how the character
      keeps up with the Earth. :) But it does then raise the question, can
      you turn Incorporeal in a car or a jet and not be left behind? If
      not, how can you work this? (This is a question for Astral
      Projectors too...)

      > On the other hand, if someone has a more elegant and
      > ingenious solution, I'm all ears (or eyes).

      I'll see what I can do. :)

      The Shadow
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 3:32 PM
        --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "The Shadow"
        wrote:

        >By the way, Scott, did you ever see my discussion on why I think
        the Energy Attack numbers are broken?

        No, I didn't! I'd love to, though... what's the post number?

      • The Shadow
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2 11:49 AM
          > >By the way, Scott, did you ever see my discussion on why I think
          > the Energy Attack numbers are broken?
          >
          > No, I didn't! I'd love to, though... what's the post number?

          Shortly after 1.1 came out, I posted two mammoth messages, 1341 and
          1342, on my assessment of each of the powers. Alphabetically, no
          less. :) Look under "Energy Attack". The rest might interest you
          too - though regarding some of the things I've said, I've since
          changed my mind, so be warned.

          The Shadow
        • The Shadow
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2 12:06 PM
            > >By the way, Scott, did you ever see my discussion on why I think
            > the Energy Attack numbers are broken?
            >
            > No, I didn't! I'd love to, though... what's the post number?

            Oh, that reminds me - I posted two files to the group, on new Astral
            powers and enhancements, and on a new Campaign Mode. I'd appreciate
            your comments if you have the time.

            The Shadow
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2 3:05 PM
              <grose12@j...> wrote:
              > > >By the way, Scott, did you ever see my discussion on why I
              think
              > > the Energy Attack numbers are broken?
              > >
              > > No, I didn't! I'd love to, though... what's the post number?
              >
              > Shortly after 1.1 came out, I posted two mammoth messages,
              1341 and
              > 1342, on my assessment of each of the powers.
              Alphabetically, no
              > less. :)

              Daaaaaamn! I think the rapid pace of messages flowing across
              our screens at that point screwed us. Sorry I missed those (I
              think I might have peeked at the second one, but then gotten
              swept up in the shuffle). I've marked these two messages for
              termination and will execute at least the first one later tonight. ;)