DNW conversions

  • curtmeyer9
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2003
      I noticed in the "Old Stuff" folder in the list's files section a
      file called "Marvel to DNW," or something like that. Any chance those
      conversion rules could be updated for DNW 1.1? Also, has anyone given
      any thought to how to convert DNW classes to d20 Modern? I much
      prefer the Modern system to the standard. It seems more streamlined.

      Thanks,

      Curt.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
        --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "curtmeyer9"
        <curtmeyer9@a...> wrote:
        > I noticed in the "Old Stuff" folder in the list's files section a
        > file called "Marvel to DNW," or something like that. Any chance
        those
        > conversion rules could be updated for DNW 1.1?

        They should still work just fine for 1.1-- the scales haven't shifted
        one little bit.

        >Also, has anyone given
        > any thought to how to convert DNW classes to d20 Modern? I
        much
        > prefer the Modern system to the standard. It seems more
        streamlined.

        I've been exploring the Modern system, ramping myself up to do
        some work with it, and I have some mixed feelings. I think the
        Basic Classes (Strong, Fast, Tough, Smart, etc.) are fantastic.
        Some of the Advanced Classes are pretty cool, some are 'eh.' I
        think the Wealth and Reputation systems are both ugly kludges
        that make *my* ugly kludges in DNW 1.0 look positively
        ingenious. And I just don't buy the whole "a competent adult is
        about 7th level" line... IMHO, a 1st level character should
        represent a competent but relatively inexperienced adult (or
        near-adult). Sure, different paradigms for different games, but I
        always thought that D&D/D20 did just fine by setting the bar for
        "normal folks" really low rather than by redefining "competence"
        to be so far along the cycle of character development.

        Anyhow, I'm working on DNW Modern, which is... let's see... sixth
        in my freakin' backed-up list of things to do. My goal is absolute
        fidelity to the Modern system, so what I'm going to do is convert
        all 15 basic DNW classes and all 4 villain classes to 10-level
        Advanced Classes. After that, as far as I can tell, conversion will
        be a matter of crossing the Is and dotting the Ts in the minutiae
        of powers, spells, and feats.