Re: [deedsnotwordsd20] Techno"logical"ly Invisible

    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2003
      On 7 May 2003, at 15:01, Jareth Valar wrote:

      > 5) I'm getting ready to start a game and I have a tendancy to start a little
      > higher level than 1st. Do you have anything in 1.1 about starting higher
      > than first and the experience tithe? Start the tithe at nothing paid off
      > yet? allow some to have already be put in?, etc.

      The logical way to do that is to decide what level you want them to start at, ignoring
      tithe. Figure out how many XP they would have at that point.

      Then they gain that many XP... half goes to XP, half pays the tithe. If the starting level
      XP is more than double their tithe, then they have no tithe, and a bit more XP.

      Just treat it as if they gained that much XP through normal play.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2003
        --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Jareth Valar"
        <jarethvalar@h...> wrote:
        > First of all Scott, KUDO's. 1.1 is great so far.

        Ah, the inevitible precursor to, "But I've discovered that my own
        homebrew of Phoenix Command and Gin Rummy using
        polished quartz crystals as randomizers is infinitely superior, so
        I'm dumping your game on its butt." Sob.

        > 1) With Elemental/Energy Quality, does the character actually
        take on the
        > descriptor of the said type of energy?

        I would say "yes!"

        > If so, then I can partially see the reduced EP cost, but if not,
        what's the
        > real disadvantage? Total immunity to a given energy but
        double damage to
        > the opposite energy AND the ability to take resistance in the
        opposed energy
        > for 10 EP as opposed to Resistance (energy type) with the
        complication
        > Vulnerability (2EP) to the opposite energy WITHOUT the option
        to buy
        > Resistance to the opposite energy for 18 total EP.

        This "Oh, shit, the author didn't balance things" moment brought
        to you courtesy of Jareth Valar, folks! Give him a hand! The truth
        is it never even occurred to me, Jareth. I will compare the two
        and see if an errata fix is required.

        > 2) I have a player that really loved the original Undetectable, but
        is
        > really dissapointed with the revision. Would you have any
        suggestions on
        > how to do Undetectab;e to technological detection?

        A second "Oh, shit!" Didn't even think of it, man. I'll get right on it,
        post it to the list first, and put it in the June NHCoJ second.

        > 3) I am supprized you left out one type of complication; Limited
        Power or
        > some such. Like the power has no effect on a certain type of
        thing (Green
        > Lantern with Yellow) or limited to a certain condition like
        Shadow 'port,
        > Teleport but only from Shadow to shadow, etc.

        A third "oh shit!" I will also put this in the June NHCoJ, with a first
        post to the list. Note that I'm not going to do this EVERY time
        someone comes up with a hole in something (I have 30+ new
        powers and about a hundred new enhancements for *Pow!
        Super!*), but I think these are basic enough to merit me busting
        my butt a bit faster than usual.

        > 4) Would the Accident origin be correct for someone like
        Juggernaught? He
        > accidentally absorbed the energy from the Gem of Cytorrak.
        Neither Avatar
        > nor Supernatural seem to fit, but concidering his mystical
        background,
        > wouldn't it be possible to choose from the Restricted Powers:
        > Granted/Supernatural Abilities List for some origins like this?
        If so, what
        > would you suggest as a limiter for the additional list to choose
        from,
        > anything?

        Oog. I always think of Mr. Marko as an avatar, since his powers
        do come from the Ruby, but then he did "absorb" them (and
        didn't he fling the Ruby into deep space or something?). My fix:
        just make him a Supernatural if you believe that something like
        Antimagic should affect his nigh-invincibility, otherwise, Accident
        covers it nicely with no obvious weaknesses.

        > 5) I'm getting ready to start a game and I have a tendancy to
        start a little
        > higher level than 1st. Do you have anything in 1.1 about
        starting higher
        > than first and the experience tithe? Start the tithe at nothing
        paid off
        > yet? allow some to have already be put in?, etc.

        Oh, heck yeah. See page 344.

        > 6) What about an "Always On" complication for certain powers;
        like Growth,
        > shrink self, Entropic Touch, etc.?

        "Uncontrollable Power" can do for powers like Entropic Touch
        (it's even in the complication description). A character with
        "Unusual Size" effectively has an "always on" version of
        "Increase Size," with all the attendant advantages and
        drawbacks. The only real difference is that "Huge" is the biggest
        a big DNW character can really get on a permanent basis. Maybe
        this is a bit constraining on my part, but it's hard to routinely
        adventure with a team member permanently (as opposed to
        temporarily) the size of Godzilla.

        > All in all, an excellent job. Good enough in fact to not only get a
        player
        > who doesn't really like playing D20 to play, but also SUGGEST I
        run a Deeds
        > game.

        Woo-hoo! Always happy to be of service.

        Cheers and best,

        SL
      • Jareth Valar
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2003
          >From: "cryptosnark" <cryptosnark@...>
          >To: deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [deedsnotwordsd20] Re: Techno"logical"ly Invisible
          >Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 23:43:17 -0000
          >
          >--- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Jareth Valar"
          ><jarethvalar@h...> wrote:
          > > First of all Scott, KUDO's. 1.1 is great so far.
          >
          >Ah, the inevitible precursor to, "But I've discovered that my own
          >homebrew of Phoenix Command and Gin Rummy using
          >polished quartz crystals as randomizers is infinitely superior, so
          >I'm dumping your game on its butt." Sob.

          Update. Take out the "So Far". Great work period.

          > > 1) With Elemental/Energy Quality, does the character actually
          >take on the
          > > descriptor of the said type of energy?
          >
          >I would say "yes!"

          I would think so too. Especially since there can be some nasty spells for
          Mystics that only affect "elemental" Subtype creatures. *evil grin*

          > > If so, then I can partially see the reduced EP cost, but if not,
          >what's the
          > > real disadvantage? Total immunity to a given energy but
          >double damage to
          > > the opposite energy AND the ability to take resistance in the
          >opposed energy
          > > for 10 EP as opposed to Resistance (energy type) with the
          >complication
          > > Vulnerability (2EP) to the opposite energy WITHOUT the option
          >to buy
          > > Resistance to the opposite energy for 18 total EP.
          >
          >This "Oh, shit, the author didn't balance things" moment brought
          >to you courtesy of Jareth Valar, folks! Give him a hand! The truth
          >is it never even occurred to me, Jareth. I will compare the two
          >and see if an errata fix is required.

          Ah,...yeah....*immediately hires a Magnetic Master for security. Damn them
          robot ninjas*.

          I unfortunately have a way of seeing these sorts of things sometimes.

          One solution could be to flip-flop which of the two can buy Resistance in
          the opposed energy. I.E. Allow the Vulnerability complication to purchace
          Resistance in the vulnerable energy but at double cost (and no immunity) and
          prohibit those who take the Elemental/Energy Quality power from it
          completely. Just one idea, anyway.

          > > 2) I have a player that really loved the original Undetectable, but
          >is
          > > really dissapointed with the revision. Would you have any
          >suggestions on
          > > how to do Undetectab;e to technological detection?
          >
          >A second "Oh, shit!" Didn't even think of it, man. I'll get right on it,
          >post it to the list first, and put it in the June NHCoJ second.

          I originally thought you just took it out, and figured I'd ask a suggestions
          on how to duplicate it. But if you intended it to be there and plan on
          posting, no prob. I'll just hold till then. Thanks.

          > > 3) I am supprized you left out one type of complication; Limited
          >Power or
          > > some such. Like the power has no effect on a certain type of
          >thing (Green
          > > Lantern with Yellow) or limited to a certain condition like
          >Shadow 'port,
          > > Teleport but only from Shadow to shadow, etc.
          >
          >A third "oh shit!" I will also put this in the June NHCoJ, with a first
          >post to the list. Note that I'm not going to do this EVERY time
          >someone comes up with a hole in something (I have 30+ new
          >powers and about a hundred new enhancements for *Pow!
          >Super!*), but I think these are basic enough to merit me busting
          >my butt a bit faster than usual.

          Would never would dream of assuming that. I'm actually very greatful you
          offered.

          BTW, when IS "Pow! Super!" due out? You can never have enough powers and
          stuff.

          > > 4) Would the Accident origin be correct for someone like
          >Juggernaught? He
          > > accidentally absorbed the energy from the Gem of Cytorrak.
          >Neither Avatar
          > > nor Supernatural seem to fit, but concidering his mystical
          >background,
          > > wouldn't it be possible to choose from the Restricted Powers:
          > > Granted/Supernatural Abilities List for some origins like this?
          >If so, what
          > > would you suggest as a limiter for the additional list to choose
          >from,
          > > anything?
          >
          >Oog. I always think of Mr. Marko as an avatar, since his powers
          >do come from the Ruby, but then he did "absorb" them (and
          >didn't he fling the Ruby into deep space or something?). My fix:
          >just make him a Supernatural if you believe that something like
          >Antimagic should affect his nigh-invincibility, otherwise, Accident
          >covers it nicely with no obvious weaknesses.

          OK, so my example was flawed. I thought about this after I sent it and had
          a discussion with one of my players (who has a far better memory than I) and
          realized my boo-boo.

          My thoughts were someone who wasn't serving an outside force nor a "natural"
          supernatural. If Accident covers that as well, cool.

          > > 5) I'm getting ready to start a game and I have a tendancy to
          >start a little
          > > higher level than 1st. Do you have anything in 1.1 about
          >starting higher
          > > than first and the experience tithe? Start the tithe at nothing
          >paid off
          > > yet? allow some to have already be put in?, etc.
          >
          >Oh, heck yeah. See page 344.

          I actually skipped over that page because it was listed as "Titheless Play"

          > > 6) What about an "Always On" complication for certain powers;
          >like Growth,
          > > shrink self, Entropic Touch, etc.?
          >
          >"Uncontrollable Power" can do for powers like Entropic Touch
          >(it's even in the complication description). A character with
          >"Unusual Size" effectively has an "always on" version of
          >"Increase Size," with all the attendant advantages and
          >drawbacks. The only real difference is that "Huge" is the biggest
          >a big DNW character can really get on a permanent basis. Maybe
          >this is a bit constraining on my part, but it's hard to routinely
          >adventure with a team member permanently (as opposed to
          >temporarily) the size of Godzilla.

          Unusual Size I can see, no prob, as with Uncontrolable power. I guess I was
          thinking something more like Fuji from Stormwatch or Chamber from
          X-something, or even Skids early on (IIRC that is). Leech from the
          Morlocks, the Thing for a while (though I guess you could say he "bought
          off" his Form Shifting Flaw, though in his case I would call it an
          Advantage), Scorpion with his suit, etc.

          All in all it would be more of a social drawback but could be real fun to
          roleplay.

          Jareth