Techno"logical"ly Invisible

  • Jareth Valar
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2003
      First of all Scott, KUDO's. 1.1 is great so far.

      I do have a couple questions though.

      1) With Elemental/Energy Quality, does the character actually take on the
      descriptor of the said type of energy? Like Fire Gensai are "Fire"
      creatures, and as such are succeptible to things specifically targeting
      "Fire" subtype creatures.

      If so, then I can partially see the reduced EP cost, but if not, what's the
      real disadvantage? Total immunity to a given energy but double damage to
      the opposite energy AND the ability to take resistance in the opposed energy
      for 10 EP as opposed to Resistance (energy type) with the complication
      Vulnerability (2EP) to the opposite energy WITHOUT the option to buy
      Resistance to the opposite energy for 18 total EP.

      2) I have a player that really loved the original Undetectable, but is
      really dissapointed with the revision. Would you have any suggestions on
      how to do Undetectab;e to technological detection? I was thinking
      Invisibility, but limites to only tech, but he was hoping for the "always
      undetectable" aspect of the Undetectable power.

      Any suggestions?

      3) I am supprized you left out one type of complication; Limited Power or
      some such. Like the power has no effect on a certain type of thing (Green
      Lantern with Yellow) or limited to a certain condition like Shadow 'port,
      Teleport but only from Shadow to shadow, etc.

      I'm going to try and work something up, but figured I'd ask your thoughts on
      it too.

      4) Would the Accident origin be correct for someone like Juggernaught? He
      accidentally absorbed the energy from the Gem of Cytorrak. Neither Avatar
      nor Supernatural seem to fit, but concidering his mystical background,
      wouldn't it be possible to choose from the Restricted Powers:
      Granted/Supernatural Abilities List for some origins like this? If so, what
      would you suggest as a limiter for the additional list to choose from,
      anything?

      5) I'm getting ready to start a game and I have a tendancy to start a little
      higher level than 1st. Do you have anything in 1.1 about starting higher
      than first and the experience tithe? Start the tithe at nothing paid off
      yet? allow some to have already be put in?, etc.

      6) What about an "Always On" complication for certain powers; like Growth,
      shrink self, Entropic Touch, etc.?

      All in all, an excellent job. Good enough in fact to not only get a player
      who doesn't really like playing D20 to play, but also SUGGEST I run a Deeds
      game.

      *Jareth sends a rare Robot Valet Ninja to Scott for eternal servitude.*

      Jareth

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2003
        On 7 May 2003, at 15:01, Jareth Valar wrote:

        > 5) I'm getting ready to start a game and I have a tendancy to start a little
        > higher level than 1st. Do you have anything in 1.1 about starting higher
        > than first and the experience tithe? Start the tithe at nothing paid off
        > yet? allow some to have already be put in?, etc.

        The logical way to do that is to decide what level you want them to start at, ignoring
        tithe. Figure out how many XP they would have at that point.

        Then they gain that many XP... half goes to XP, half pays the tithe. If the starting level
        XP is more than double their tithe, then they have no tithe, and a bit more XP.

        Just treat it as if they gained that much XP through normal play.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2003
          --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Jareth Valar"
          <jarethvalar@h...> wrote:
          > First of all Scott, KUDO's. 1.1 is great so far.

          Ah, the inevitible precursor to, "But I've discovered that my own
          homebrew of Phoenix Command and Gin Rummy using
          polished quartz crystals as randomizers is infinitely superior, so
          I'm dumping your game on its butt." Sob.

          > 1) With Elemental/Energy Quality, does the character actually
          take on the
          > descriptor of the said type of energy?

          I would say "yes!"

          > If so, then I can partially see the reduced EP cost, but if not,
          what's the
          > real disadvantage? Total immunity to a given energy but
          double damage to
          > the opposite energy AND the ability to take resistance in the
          opposed energy
          > for 10 EP as opposed to Resistance (energy type) with the
          complication
          > Vulnerability (2EP) to the opposite energy WITHOUT the option
          to buy
          > Resistance to the opposite energy for 18 total EP.

          This "Oh, shit, the author didn't balance things" moment brought
          to you courtesy of Jareth Valar, folks! Give him a hand! The truth
          is it never even occurred to me, Jareth. I will compare the two
          and see if an errata fix is required.

          > 2) I have a player that really loved the original Undetectable, but
          is
          > really dissapointed with the revision. Would you have any
          suggestions on
          > how to do Undetectab;e to technological detection?

          A second "Oh, shit!" Didn't even think of it, man. I'll get right on it,
          post it to the list first, and put it in the June NHCoJ second.

          > 3) I am supprized you left out one type of complication; Limited
          Power or
          > some such. Like the power has no effect on a certain type of
          thing (Green
          > Lantern with Yellow) or limited to a certain condition like
          Shadow 'port,
          > Teleport but only from Shadow to shadow, etc.

          A third "oh shit!" I will also put this in the June NHCoJ, with a first
          post to the list. Note that I'm not going to do this EVERY time
          someone comes up with a hole in something (I have 30+ new
          powers and about a hundred new enhancements for *Pow!
          Super!*), but I think these are basic enough to merit me busting
          my butt a bit faster than usual.

          > 4) Would the Accident origin be correct for someone like
          Juggernaught? He
          > accidentally absorbed the energy from the Gem of Cytorrak.
          Neither Avatar
          > nor Supernatural seem to fit, but concidering his mystical
          background,
          > wouldn't it be possible to choose from the Restricted Powers:
          > Granted/Supernatural Abilities List for some origins like this?
          If so, what
          > would you suggest as a limiter for the additional list to choose
          from,
          > anything?

          Oog. I always think of Mr. Marko as an avatar, since his powers
          do come from the Ruby, but then he did "absorb" them (and
          didn't he fling the Ruby into deep space or something?). My fix:
          just make him a Supernatural if you believe that something like
          Antimagic should affect his nigh-invincibility, otherwise, Accident
          covers it nicely with no obvious weaknesses.

          > 5) I'm getting ready to start a game and I have a tendancy to
          start a little
          > higher level than 1st. Do you have anything in 1.1 about
          starting higher
          > than first and the experience tithe? Start the tithe at nothing
          paid off
          > yet? allow some to have already be put in?, etc.

          Oh, heck yeah. See page 344.

          > 6) What about an "Always On" complication for certain powers;
          like Growth,
          > shrink self, Entropic Touch, etc.?

          "Uncontrollable Power" can do for powers like Entropic Touch
          (it's even in the complication description). A character with
          "Unusual Size" effectively has an "always on" version of
          "Increase Size," with all the attendant advantages and
          drawbacks. The only real difference is that "Huge" is the biggest
          a big DNW character can really get on a permanent basis. Maybe
          this is a bit constraining on my part, but it's hard to routinely
          adventure with a team member permanently (as opposed to
          temporarily) the size of Godzilla.

          > All in all, an excellent job. Good enough in fact to not only get a
          player
          > who doesn't really like playing D20 to play, but also SUGGEST I
          run a Deeds
          > game.

          Woo-hoo! Always happy to be of service.

          Cheers and best,

          SL
        • Jareth Valar
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2003
            >From: "cryptosnark" <cryptosnark@...>
            >To: deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [deedsnotwordsd20] Re: Techno"logical"ly Invisible
            >Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 23:43:17 -0000
            >
            >--- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Jareth Valar"
            ><jarethvalar@h...> wrote:
            > > First of all Scott, KUDO's. 1.1 is great so far.
            >
            >Ah, the inevitible precursor to, "But I've discovered that my own
            >homebrew of Phoenix Command and Gin Rummy using
            >polished quartz crystals as randomizers is infinitely superior, so
            >I'm dumping your game on its butt." Sob.

            Update. Take out the "So Far". Great work period.

            > > 1) With Elemental/Energy Quality, does the character actually
            >take on the
            > > descriptor of the said type of energy?
            >
            >I would say "yes!"

            I would think so too. Especially since there can be some nasty spells for
            Mystics that only affect "elemental" Subtype creatures. *evil grin*

            > > If so, then I can partially see the reduced EP cost, but if not,
            >what's the
            > > real disadvantage? Total immunity to a given energy but
            >double damage to
            > > the opposite energy AND the ability to take resistance in the
            >opposed energy
            > > for 10 EP as opposed to Resistance (energy type) with the
            >complication
            > > Vulnerability (2EP) to the opposite energy WITHOUT the option
            >to buy
            > > Resistance to the opposite energy for 18 total EP.
            >
            >This "Oh, shit, the author didn't balance things" moment brought
            >to you courtesy of Jareth Valar, folks! Give him a hand! The truth
            >is it never even occurred to me, Jareth. I will compare the two
            >and see if an errata fix is required.

            Ah,...yeah....*immediately hires a Magnetic Master for security. Damn them
            robot ninjas*.

            I unfortunately have a way of seeing these sorts of things sometimes.

            One solution could be to flip-flop which of the two can buy Resistance in
            the opposed energy. I.E. Allow the Vulnerability complication to purchace
            Resistance in the vulnerable energy but at double cost (and no immunity) and
            prohibit those who take the Elemental/Energy Quality power from it
            completely. Just one idea, anyway.

            > > 2) I have a player that really loved the original Undetectable, but
            >is
            > > really dissapointed with the revision. Would you have any
            >suggestions on
            > > how to do Undetectab;e to technological detection?
            >
            >A second "Oh, shit!" Didn't even think of it, man. I'll get right on it,
            >post it to the list first, and put it in the June NHCoJ second.

            I originally thought you just took it out, and figured I'd ask a suggestions
            on how to duplicate it. But if you intended it to be there and plan on
            posting, no prob. I'll just hold till then. Thanks.

            > > 3) I am supprized you left out one type of complication; Limited
            >Power or
            > > some such. Like the power has no effect on a certain type of
            >thing (Green
            > > Lantern with Yellow) or limited to a certain condition like
            >Shadow 'port,
            > > Teleport but only from Shadow to shadow, etc.
            >
            >A third "oh shit!" I will also put this in the June NHCoJ, with a first
            >post to the list. Note that I'm not going to do this EVERY time
            >someone comes up with a hole in something (I have 30+ new
            >powers and about a hundred new enhancements for *Pow!
            >Super!*), but I think these are basic enough to merit me busting
            >my butt a bit faster than usual.

            Would never would dream of assuming that. I'm actually very greatful you
            offered.

            BTW, when IS "Pow! Super!" due out? You can never have enough powers and
            stuff.

            > > 4) Would the Accident origin be correct for someone like
            >Juggernaught? He
            > > accidentally absorbed the energy from the Gem of Cytorrak.
            >Neither Avatar
            > > nor Supernatural seem to fit, but concidering his mystical
            >background,
            > > wouldn't it be possible to choose from the Restricted Powers:
            > > Granted/Supernatural Abilities List for some origins like this?
            >If so, what
            > > would you suggest as a limiter for the additional list to choose
            >from,
            > > anything?
            >
            >Oog. I always think of Mr. Marko as an avatar, since his powers
            >do come from the Ruby, but then he did "absorb" them (and
            >didn't he fling the Ruby into deep space or something?). My fix:
            >just make him a Supernatural if you believe that something like
            >Antimagic should affect his nigh-invincibility, otherwise, Accident
            >covers it nicely with no obvious weaknesses.

            OK, so my example was flawed. I thought about this after I sent it and had
            a discussion with one of my players (who has a far better memory than I) and
            realized my boo-boo.

            My thoughts were someone who wasn't serving an outside force nor a "natural"
            supernatural. If Accident covers that as well, cool.

            > > 5) I'm getting ready to start a game and I have a tendancy to
            >start a little
            > > higher level than 1st. Do you have anything in 1.1 about
            >starting higher
            > > than first and the experience tithe? Start the tithe at nothing
            >paid off
            > > yet? allow some to have already be put in?, etc.
            >
            >Oh, heck yeah. See page 344.

            I actually skipped over that page because it was listed as "Titheless Play"

            > > 6) What about an "Always On" complication for certain powers;
            >like Growth,
            > > shrink self, Entropic Touch, etc.?
            >
            >"Uncontrollable Power" can do for powers like Entropic Touch
            >(it's even in the complication description). A character with
            >"Unusual Size" effectively has an "always on" version of
            >"Increase Size," with all the attendant advantages and
            >drawbacks. The only real difference is that "Huge" is the biggest
            >a big DNW character can really get on a permanent basis. Maybe
            >this is a bit constraining on my part, but it's hard to routinely
            >adventure with a team member permanently (as opposed to
            >temporarily) the size of Godzilla.

            Unusual Size I can see, no prob, as with Uncontrolable power. I guess I was
            thinking something more like Fuji from Stormwatch or Chamber from
            X-something, or even Skids early on (IIRC that is). Leech from the
            Morlocks, the Thing for a while (though I guess you could say he "bought
            off" his Form Shifting Flaw, though in his case I would call it an
            Advantage), Scorpion with his suit, etc.

            All in all it would be more of a social drawback but could be real fun to
            roleplay.

            Jareth