Re: 1.1 Preview: Finalized Powers List

  • The Shadow
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 12:08 PM
      I'm not at all sure, personally, that you need a huge suite of
      elemental (much less "para-elemental") powers. A few examples should
      be enough for anybody to adapt whatever unusual power they want.

      I DO think, though, that you could stand to have a few more kinds
      of "energy" for Energized Form, Energy Attack, and so on. (Maybe you
      already do, I suppose.) Some suggestions:

      Gravity: Much like Concussive, except you can knock people "back"
      TOWARD you if you want. Also, it can be "tuned" to do half-damage
      while ignoring armor. (Perhaps just subdual damage.) That trick
      might well be a special enhancement. On the other hand, gravity
      damage (thought not knockback) is utterly blocked by most force
      fields.

      Magic: A bolt of raw magical power, not unlike Magic Missile. You
      need merely make a touch attack to hit - armor is irrelevant.
      However, Spell Resistance counts as DR. Also, "magic" does one-
      quarter the normal damage - it's a highly inefficient use of magical
      power. (That's why people cast spells.)

      Psionics: A mind-bolt of stunning power, not unlike the "psionic
      blast" of illithids. (Illithids use "Energy Cone", of course.)
      Armor is irrelevant, but this energy only does subdual damage without
      SERIOUS enhancement. Victims can make a Will save for half damage.
      Unlike the others, I'm finding it hard to visualize a
      psionic "Energized Form". I suppose it could be interpreted as a
      psionic using instinctive TK to shield himself... (By the way, this
      is a bigger stick than pure Psions usually carry, so I think it's
      appropriate as a regular power rather than a Psion talent.)

      Radiation: Treat this just like "pure energy", except there's a Fort
      save against contracting radiation sickness. (Doubtless the DC
      depends on how much damage has been taken. There's rules for
      radiation sickness in the web enhancement of D20 Modern, by the by.
      Oh, and in a typical four-color campaign, radiation sickness should
      give some small chance of gaining (or changing!) powers. :) Perhaps
      this would be better handled by "linking" a disease-giving power with
      a "pure energy" power, but I don't know if you have any means to link
      powers or not.

      One unrelated thing about the power list... it disappointed me in 1.0
      that there was no "Darkness" power. Sure, "Shadow Mastery" can let
      you lower the light level, but I want something that'll produce utter
      darkness in noonday sunlight. Is this now possible with the
      updated "Shadow Mastery"? (Also, what if one wants darkness, but
      doesn't care about summoning shadow-critters?)

      The Shadow

      P.S. For the life of me I don't understand why Mental Invisibility
      isn't a Psion talent. The original Shadow (from whom I take my name
      and based on whom I created my Very First Champions character)
      learned it in a Tibetan monastery, for crying out loud. :) He
      certainly wasn't a mutant or anything.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 4:46 PM
        --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "Sketch"
        <Sketchpad@w...> wrote:
        > Looks great Scott ... a few Qs ...
        > 1) In 1.0 it was a bit hard to make the powerhouses (Supes,
        Thor, etc)
        > without looking at the Omega options ... will 1.1 be able to
        adapt these
        > concepts better?

        Well, that depends. The XP Tithe is designed to run up to 100
        uncompensated EPs, which is the equivalent of 25 1.0 powers. I
        could probably assign Superman 15-20 points of complications,
        plus he gets 4 comped EPs as part of his origin package
        (Humanoid Intrinsic), so he could probably have about 120-125
        EPs worth of super-powers (30+ 1.0 powers).

        So using the standard, totally-legal player-character rules, you
        could probably build a low-end version of the standard Supes
        (heck, you could probably build the one from *Smallville* or the
        original "leap a quarter mile" Siegel & Schuster Superman for
        about 50 EPs worth of powers). If you wanted to build him using
        unfair NPC rules, I'd say 150-200 uncompensated EPs should
        do the trick. That would give him a Threat Rating of about +20.

        So, you could build a major-league ass-kicker either way, just
        probably not the "move the planet five feet to the left" Superman
        using PC rules.

        > 2) "Pow! Super!" is this a setting book or something akin to the
        Ultimate
        > Powers Book?
        > Looking foward to 1.1 :)

        It's going to be a combination player sourcebook (new powers,
        prestige classes, and a long section on divine maginc in DNW)
        and GM manual for supers games (half DNW GM's guide and
        half supers "Monster Manual"). A little something for everyone,
        and like every damn thing I do, it's MUCH BIGGER than initially
        planned. ;)

      • sybr007
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 8:14 PM
          Hey, that's a good thing!

          Sybr

          --- In deedsnotwordsd20@yahoogroups.com, "cryptosnark"
          <cryptosnark@y...> wrote:

          > and like every damn thing I do, it's MUCH BIGGER than initially
          > planned. ;)
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > SL
        • Scott Crosson\